1. Originally posted by wangmasteri agree, the killers nailed ultraviolet.

Out of the available list to vote for, I'd settle and did indeed settle for Garbage. Can't get into The Killer's cover.

Having another listen now, quite fond of Zoo Station.
  2. One year on, have any of these covers grown on you or fallen away over the past twelve months?

Originally, I was a fan of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Garbage), Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World (The Fray) and Love Is Blindness (Jack White). But having listened to them all a few times over the last year, I'm not as keen on Love Is Blindness anymore, but three in particular have really grown on me. Until The End Of The World (Patti Smith), The Fly (Gavin Friday) and Acrobat (Glasvegas). And 10 months on from my last post, I did get into Ultraviolet (The Killers).

I can't appreciate One (Damien Rice) or Mysterious Ways (Snow Patrol) yet. They've made no impact since I first heard them.
  3. I only frequent Zoo Station (Nine Inch Nails), Real Thing (Jacques Lu Cont), One (Damien Rice), Mysterious Ways (Snow Patrol), The Fly (Gavin Friday) and Tryin' (The Fray) and wouldn't be able to give an educated review on the other songs.
  4. The only ones I listen to are:

Real Thing remix
    So Cruel
    Jack White

but all of them are now "acceptable" to me, at first MW, One, and Acrobat sounded AWFUL to me, but now I can tolerate them LOL

5. My opinion hasn't changed.

Still can't get to like The Killers' version of Ultraviolet, but haven't listened much to the rest of the lot anyway. Only ocassional listens to Love Is Blindness by Jack White (which is fucking brilliant but not a patch on the original) and So Cruel by Depeche Mode.
  6. Ultraviolet is the only one I regularly listen to. Love it.
  7. Zoo Station, The Fly and So Cruel

Man, The Fly kicks ass.
  8. Jack White crushed Love is Blindness. He didn’t surpass U2 but he came closer than I’d have believed was possible. Wonderful take on the song.

Oddly I have a real sweet spot for TTTYAATW by the Fray. I think it’s a great take on the song and love to circle back to it for a breezy pop song. Really well done imo.
  9. Thanks to @melon51's mixes of So Cruel and Wild Horses I'm coming back to AHK-toong BAY-bi after a long time.

It's a shame that two bands I completely ADORE like The Killers and Snow Patrol did such bland covers of Ultraviolet and Mysterious Ways. UV by The Killers is so predictable and doesn't even try to get out of the song's comfort zone, while MW by Snow Patrol is exactly the opposite, they went too far trying to strip down the song and they took away all the fun, sensuality and groove off it.

Glasvegas' version of Acrobat ain't super innovating either and plays in the same league as The Killers', but I just like it better.

So Cruel is superb, I'm starting to think Depeche Mode even bettered the original (sacrilege! heresy! I know).

Never got the love for NIN's version of Zoo Station but at least I appreciate the fact they wanted (and managed) to departure from BOTH the sound of the original and their own trademark industrial rock sound.

UTEOTW, yeah I know it's Patti Smith and she's widely loathed by us U2 fans -and probably for a reason- , but her version truly moves me. All the bitterness and sadness that you can't even smell in the original are there.

The Fray's TTTYAATW isn't brilliant but at least sounds different enough without doing a Snow Patrol.

The Fly sounds amazing with this fully electronic landscape but I feel Gavin is the weak link here. It would sound incredible with Bono's vocals (and Edge backing) on top of it... Wink wink you remixers out there!

I've always considered Wild Horses the most bitter song on this -already bitter and dark- album, and Garbage really took it to an even darker place with their cover. Shirley Manson's vocals don't really fit the bill 100% but at least we already have a version with Bono on the microphone now!

Damian Rice's version of One would be more enjoyable if he hadn't changed the lyrics. I mean, One is a cathedral of a song and a lyrical masterpiece, WHY ON EARTH would you change its lyrical approach 180 degrees?

EBTTRT is strictly a remix but it's far enough from the original sound to consider it a cover. I think it's quite good (and I'm usually not a fan of strongly house sounding remixes) even if it gets rid of the distinctive whammy guitar riff

Love Is Blindness is still incredible as well. Jack White is an ass but oh man he truly delivered here.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:Thanks to @melon51's mixes of So Cruel and Wild Horses I'm coming back to AHK-toong BAY-bi after a long time.

It's a shame that two bands I completely ADORE like The Killers and Snow Patrol did such bland covers of Ultraviolet and Mysterious Ways. UV by The Killers is so predictable and doesn't even try to get out of the song's comfort zone, while MW by Snow Patrol is exactly the opposite, they went too far trying to strip down the song and they took away all the fun, sensuality and groove off it.

Glasvegas' version of Acrobat ain't super innovating either and plays in the same league as The Killers', but I just like it better.

So Cruel is superb, I'm starting to think Depeche Mode even bettered the original (sacrilege! heresy! I know).

Never got the love for NIN's version of Zoo Station but at least I appreciate the fact they wanted (and managed) to departure from BOTH the sound of the original and their own trademark industrial rock sound.

UTEOTW, yeah I know it's Patti Smith and she's widely loathed by us U2 fans -and probably for a reason- , but her version truly moves me. All the bitterness and sadness that you can't even smell in the original are there.

The Fray's TTTYAATW isn't brilliant but at least sounds different enough without doing a Snow Patrol.

The Fly sounds amazing with this fully electronic landscape but I feel Gavin is the weak link here. It would sound incredible with Bono's vocals (and Edge backing) on top of it... Wink wink you remixers out there!

I've always considered Wild Horses the most bitter song on this -already bitter and dark- album, and Garbage really took it to an even darker place with their cover. Shirley Manson's vocals don't really fit the bill 100% but at least we already have a version with Bono on the microphone now!

Damian Rice's version of One would be more enjoyable if he hadn't changed the lyrics. I mean, One is a cathedral of a song and a lyrical masterpiece, WHY ON EARTH would you change its lyrical approach 180 degrees?

EBTTRT is strictly a remix but it's far enough from the original sound to consider it a cover. I think it's quite good (and I'm usually not a fan of strongly house sounding remixes) even if it gets rid of the distinctive whammy guitar riff

Love Is Blindness is still incredible as well. Jack White is an ass but oh man he truly delivered here.
    I did a attempt at the NiN Zoo Station as well. It iincludes Bono (and a lil Edge) alongside Trent as well. It's not great, but fun to hear. Considering redoing that at some point with the vocals from the "baby" version as they are undistorted..

@LikeASong Is Gavin's The Fly different than the remix played as intermission song during I&E?
  11. ^ Nevermind, already listening to it. I think it's the same or very similar. Love that remix. Gavin's a great guy but misses the vocal "presence" Bono would have on a track like this. I'll take the hint