1. Never got back to this the other day, nobody else had replied anyway so must only be something that interests me lol. My point was though imagining no albums existed, you wouldn’t have the albums to fall back on and were allowed only 1 gig per tour so basically not only were you having to weigh up the quality of performance but also the song choices from tour to tour. Would you rather have 4 or 5 performances of your favourite song in different tours or sacrifice one of they performances picking a different show to get a slightly lesser liked song but at least have one version of it. Something like East Rutherford 22/06/01 for example would be a front runner for the elevation tour featuring so many from the ATYCLB album a lot of which didn’t show up on other tours.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Never got back to this the other day, nobody else had replied anyway so must only be something that interests me lol. My point was though imagining no albums existed, you wouldn’t have the albums to fall back on and were allowed only 1 gig per tour so basically not only were you having to weigh up the quality of performance but also the song choices from tour to tour. Would you rather have 4 or 5 performances of your favourite song in different tours or sacrifice one of they performances picking a different show to get a slightly lesser liked song but at least have one version of it. Something like East Rutherford 22/06/01 for example would be a front runner for the elevation tour featuring so many from the ATYCLB album a lot of which didn’t show up on other tours.
    I had to think about this for a sec and see how this would impact me. I find this exercise a bit difficult to do with U2 but found it easier to do with Pearl Jam - a band that has released MANY of their live performances.

In any event, I think I’d sacrifice having a lot of more-recent Pearl Jam songs (eg, Sirens, The Fixer, Comatose) to have different live performances of Release, RVM, and Corduroy, for example. I listen to those types of songs (eg, 1990s Pearl Jam) with a much higher frequency than their last four or five albums and really wouldn’t be too upset if I didn’t have access to it.

Edit: I think (?) this was the point you were trying to convey.
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    I had to think about this for a sec and see how this would impact me. I find this exercise a bit difficult to do with U2 but found it easier to do with Pearl Jam - a band that has released MANY of their live performances.

In any event, I think I’d sacrifice having a lot of more-recent Pearl Jam songs (eg, Sirens, The Fixer, Comatose) to have different live performances of Release, RVM, and Corduroy, for example. I listen to those types of songs (eg, 1990s Pearl Jam) with a much higher frequency than their last four or five albums and really wouldn’t be too upset if I didn’t have access to it.

Edit: I think (?) this was the point you were trying to convey.
    Yeah I think you’ve got the idea from what you’ve explained. It would still be within the criteria of having just one show per tour but you could absolutely have a later pearl jam that featured Release but not something like the fixer along with an early tour show that included release as well. With u2 the only dilemmas really are 360, zoo tv and vertigo. I had a few in my head when I first posted my idea but ive forgot them but with 360 there’s the dilemma of having the more complete version of Zooropa live later on in the tour but less NLOTH tracks including Breathe which is my favourite from the album. Mercy as well albeit I prefer the outtake version but still would like to have the live version over no version. For vertigo the dilemma’s a bit simpler I’d opt for a show that had the 8 HTDAAB songs that are on the dvd. It means sacrificing Crumbs but there isn’t a show where crumbs, original of the species and miracle drug all feature and crumbs was the weakest live imo of the 3. Fast cars I’m not bothered about sacrificing. The first time was played late on in the tour and there’s window in the skies a few other rarities but I wouldn’t sacrifice a show with miracle drug, original of the species and Yahweh as well in fact. Zoo tv I’d have to go for one of the final leg shows, because of the Zooropa tracks and just get wild horses from an E&I show and Ultraviolet from 360.
  4. I think I see what you're saying...

Yes, it is a shame to lose Breathe (indeed one of the better, more interesting tunes on NLOTH) in favour of Zooropa (which we didn't have in the Sydney show). Not sure which is the better option there. I guess I'd have to choose Zooropa.

Keeping along with the Sydney show, I think I've just been spoiled by it since it's been around for so long, released in a few different formats, and (imho) not enough ZOOTV shows have been officially released. I seemed to focus on the negative aspects of it (it's lack of UV, Horses, Bad, ISHF, Desire) and forget that it has a fantastic opening run of seven or eight songs and the BTBS-RTSS-Streets trio is phenomenal - AND it has five Zooropa songs.

If we did sacrifice the Sydney '93 show in favour of maybe Stockholm '92 (has all the 1992 essentials) what would we have left from Zooropa, the album? No Lemon (that'd be a real shame). No Numb (meh, I'd live). No "Crashed Car" (again, I'd survive). Along with the title track from 2011 (and I guess that's just from U22), we'd only have Stay (Boston '01, U22, Berlin '18) and Dirty Day (which is WAY better on the Sydney show...too much Bono chatter in the Berlin show, if you ask me).
  5. Why did Bono never yell in the intro of New Years Day during the Joshua Tree tour in 87?
  6. Sadly, Pat Hume, activist and wife of Northern Irish politician John Hume (Nobel Peace Prize 1998) died today.
    The SDLP leader, Colum Eastwood, paid tribute to Mrs Hume and said that without her “there would have been no peace process in Ireland, that’s the simple truth.”

Maybe we can expect a statement by Bono about this?

By the way, John Hume is one of four politicians that appear in the cover of the Please single (bottom left)
  7. Which is the difference between a single and a promotional release?
  8. I believe promo singles are given free to radio stations while regular singles are sold in stores.