1. Saw today ( this morning) with my 11 year old son. It was fun sharing the excitement with him like I was his age again.
    Great movie with such high expectations. Like everyone there are some moments I was thinking they were trying to be to cute with some things but that was so minor to the overall fun, killer fights, great visuals and welcome new characters that were actually very good for the future of the films. I'm glad we get another one in May 2017!
    I would have never dreamed 20 years ago they would make these.
  2. Originally posted by jasvan:Saw today ( this morning) with my 11 year old son. It was fun sharing the excitement with him like I was his age again.
    Great movie with such high expectations. Like everyone there are some moments I was thinking they were trying to be to cute with some things but that was so minor to the overall fun, killer fights, great visuals and welcome new characters that were actually very good for the future of the films. I'm glad we get another one in May 2017!
    I would have never dreamed 20 years ago they would make these.
    ...and one of those "satellite" ones next year. "Rogue" something.
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:How am I going to avoid all of the spoilers of this thing over the next few days?!? (BTW: A sincere thanks to those of you who have posted here for not "spoiling" anything. I am sure it's difficult to not find a place to go hog wild and discuss everything).
    That's the reason why I went to see it on the first day... otherwise I wouldn't have minded waiting a couple of months to see it. I'm very patient, but I do really hate spoilers.

Once said that, while this movie has some spoilers, it really don't have any big revelations in the line of Empire, or Sixth Sense or Fight Club or any of the like.
    So, even if -like Dutch- you get to see the "big" spoiler, imho it doesn't really ruins the movie experience.

(Imho learning as much as you can about the new characters -even if you carefully "avoid spoilers"- is actually worse, since knowing the characters is the big deal of the movie itself)
  4. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    That's the reason why I went to see it on the first day... otherwise I wouldn't have minded waiting a couple of months to see it. I'm very patient, but I do really hate spoilers.

Once said that, while this movie has some spoilers, it really don't have any big revelations in the line of Empire, or Sixth Sense or Fight Club or any of the like.
    So, even if -like Dutch- you get to see the "big" spoiler, imho it doesn't really ruins the movie experience.

(Imho learning as much as you can about the new characters -even if you carefully "avoid spoilers"- is actually worse, since knowing the characters is the big deal of the movie itself)
    I've watched the trailers, read a few articles, and now I am going into "hibernation." Hoping to see it on Monday - if not sooner.

Will take Olof's advice and first see it without my five-year-old. I will then take him between Xmas and NY's.
  5. a good ride but a weak movie. there is no story, no intrigue and everything big that happens you know how it turns out before you get there because it is so formulaic. the new characters are good characters and the new actors are exceptional, the new casting was the best part of the movie. looks great, plays light, feels less than
  6. Watching Return of the Jedi right now

I played Battlefront 2 for like 5 hours yesterday. Can't wait to see the movie I'm pumped
  7. So, I saw my first Star Wars movie today, episode 4
    I feel like losing my virginity
  8. I said going in that the biggest challenge Abrams would face would be trying to balance screen time for the new actors and the old ones. You can't rely on the old ones too much as you risk the future of the series. But you can't ignore any of the old characters as they are what made the franchise in the first place. In many ways, Abrams succeeds, but overall, the two major spoilers to me fell short of their desired effect. Good movie, could have been better. I was going to make a U2 SOI analogy, but somebody else beat me to it.
    Character Development: A-
    Acting: B+
    Plot: C+
    Screenplay: B-
    Personal Reaction to specific major spoilers: D+
  9. Gotta say, Star Wars was just a little short of excellent - something that I will take all day long. Unlike U2, where we dig almost anything they do, Star Wars seems to being out overly critical and hypersensitive fans. It's because the fans care so much.

The plot was a bit unoriginal, but the film has nearly everything else going for it - excitement, intrigue, joy, delight, and heartbreak. But most of all, it was FUN. 9/10.
  10. Welcome to the Star Wars club What did you think of the movie?
  11. Good
    Especially given the fact that it's from 1977. So the effects are quite ok for that time.
    Only minor for is that the character development and storyline seems rushed and sometimes strange... Eg Luke doesn't seem to care that much when his auntie and uncle are killed, whom he lived with for years, while he sobs multiple times for the death of Obi-Wan (or Ben) while in the movie it seems like he knew him for a few days or weeks.

Also: the story of "A new hope" can stand totally on its own. Death Star is destroyed. Thus so far it doesn't seem like it'll be a trilogy a-la Lord of the Rings, but ok, I'm eager the see the others