1. Originally posted by Anam:[..]
    I'm not really comparing them as publications on the grounds that I buy one daily and wouldn't wipe my behind with the other! I respect the Guardian's investigative journalism and their radical streak, but for them the Paradise Papers leak is a big deal in terms of publicity. I thought the innuendo around Bono and the Queen were cheap shots when there is actual criminality elsewhere. I suspect the real crooks remain well hidden.
    As I mentioned previously, "minor stake" means a friend asked him to invest while they were drinking in a pub and Bono wrote him a drunken check and said go have fun
  2. Guardian Media Group and the Daily Mail's owner Rothermere are both tax exiles as far as I am aware. Tory paper Mail dare not criticise Lord Ashcroft either. And yet they accuse Bono of hypocrisy...laughable.
  3. I couldn't find a thread that suited this so I'll just use this one. Why the hell does Bono keep calling ali his missus? Sorry I know this is irrelevant but It annoys me so much
  4. Originally posted by marianarielli:I couldn't find a thread that suited this so I'll just use this one. Why the hell does Bono keep calling ali his missus? Sorry I know this is irrelevant but It annoys me so much
    It’s quite common to use this terminology in the Uk and Ireland.
  5. I understand that, but it sounds archaic almost dismissive, especially when he says "the missus". I guess it annoys me because the equivalent expression in portuguese is usually used by those men who want everyone to know how much they hate being married etc. But yeah english is not my first language and I guess it's a cultural thing
  6. The way he uses it is usually a bit humorous, I think. I guess there might be some language/cultural difference involved.
  7. Originally posted by marianarielli:I understand that, but it sounds archaic almost dismissive, especially when he says "the missus". I guess it annoys me because the equivalent expression in portuguese is usually used by those men who want everyone to know how much they hate being married etc. But yeah english is not my first language and I guess it's a cultural thing
    Yep there's probably a cultural difference thing going on and maybe even a generational thing. It's quite commonplace in UK / Ireland for men to say it. Admittedly, though sometimes it is definitely used in a vaguely derogatory way, but often its used in a macho loving way. As with a lot of words, I suppose context can play a big part.
  8. The term 'missus' is affectionate and respectful. I use it all the time. I also use 'herself' or 'the boss.'
  9. Originally posted by Anam:The term 'missus' is affectionate and respectful. I use it all the time. I also use 'herself' or 'the boss.'
  10. Thank you guys, very interesting to learn this! I think I was translating it in my mind without taking context and cultural aspects into account. And as I said earlier, guys who use the equivalent for ''missus'' and especially who refer to their partners in the third person here are usually sexist pigs hahaha