Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. This is the only U2 tour of Australia I've ever missed. Back then, I was ready to give up on U2 as I really hated the sound of Pop. AB was a fascinating and likable shift in style but Zooropa, Pop and Passengers left me bewildered, thinking this is not the band I fell in love with. With a young family and nil interest in the album, i couldn't justify the cost of seeing the show just to hear the songs I did want to hear. It took me about 10 years to appreciate the lyrics beneath that sound and so now I look back with a tinge of regret that there is this gap in my tour experiences.
  2. You'd be hard-pushed to find a bigger Pop and PopMart fan than me, but there were a couple of things that I just didn't care for from the tours.

1. Edge's stripped-down acoustic version of SBS. To me this slowed the show down and it didn't have the strength that was needed to make a statement. Now as much as I like The Edge, his voice is on a higher register and isn't powerful enough to be emotional. Maybe that's why he's never released a solo album singing his own songs because he certainly has the money, the talent and the ability to.

2. I don't care for much for HMTMKMKM anyway and even though the sound of Edge's guitar wah wah-ing around the stadiums was immense as was Bono's coughing and as was the all-out powerful ending, the whole song just goes on too long and is, if I'm honest, just too commercial-sounding - yes, I know it was a commercially released soundtrack (what is it with the boys and bloody Batman anyway?).

But I can forgive the boys for these as they gave us the legendary segues of Miami-Bullet (even though the buggers dropped that too early in the tour - and I know you'll only find 1 in 100,000 U2 fans that like Miami, but you'll only find one genius in a crowd of 100,000 so there it is) and Please-Streets. Oh, and the ending to Streets has got to be one of the best endings of that song ever, if not the best ending to that song ever.
  3. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:You'd be hard-pushed to find a bigger Pop and PopMart fan than me, but there were a couple of things that I just didn't care for from the tours.

1. Edge's stripped-down acoustic version of SBS. To me this slowed the show down and it didn't have the strength that was needed to make a statement. Now as much as I like The Edge, his voice is on a higher register and isn't powerful enough to be emotional. Maybe that's why he's never released a solo album singing his own songs because he certainly has the money, the talent and the ability to.

2. I don't care for much for HMTMKMKM anyway and even though the sound of Edge's guitar wah wah-ing around the stadiums was immense as was Bono's coughing and as was the all-out powerful ending, the whole song just goes on too long and is, if I'm honest, just too commercial-sounding - yes, I know it was a commercially released soundtrack (what is it with the boys and bloody Batman anyway?).

But I can forgive the boys for these as they gave us the legendary segues of Miami-Bullet (even though the buggers dropped that too early in the tour - and I know you'll only find 1 in 100,000 U2 fans that like Miami, but you'll only find one genius in a crowd of 100,000 so there it is) and Please-Streets. Oh, and the ending to Streets has got to be one of the best endings of that song ever, if not the best ending to that song ever.
    Agree about SBS but absolutely disagree about HMTMKMKM, I think it's one of their best songs from that era and the subtle irony in the lyrics make it one of the highest points on every Popmart bootleg I ever listened to.

I am that fan in 100,000 that likes Miami. Does that make me a genius also?
  4. Imo Edge's SBS on PopMart was great
  5. Yeah... especially when listened Sarajevo live... definitely much better than e+i/i+e version
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Agree about SBS but absolutely disagree about HMTMKMKM, I think it's one of their best songs from that era and the subtle irony in the lyrics make it one of the highest points on every Popmart bootleg I ever listened to.

I am that fan in 100,000 that likes Miami. Does that make me a genius also?

It certainly does my friend
  7. Nah the full band version is much more powerful Bono should be the only one allowed sing it IMO. LNOE from the Mexico DVD was incredible that is where the Edge is at his best.
  8. Miami is starting to grow on me. Been trying to listen to the whole thing since 2005
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Agreed.

I'll probably get slapped for this, but I actually think I Will Follow is a MAJOR wrinkle in the Popmart setlist, to me it always feels like "what is this song doing here?"

The Fly would've played a lot better there to my ears and eyes, but I wonder if since Bono wasn't playing "the fly" anymore, they felt weird playing it or something.

The first three songs are all built about the lyrics : Mofo > I Will Follow > Gone, are all about the theme of death/rebirth, and turning from a Boy into a Man.
  10. I love the contrast between heavy electronic dancey Mofo and simple innocence fast rockey Follow. So to me it definitely fits there
  11. Originally posted by UnderARedSky:[..]
    IWF was played during ZOO TV 10 times. 1 in 1992 and 9 in 1993. It was rare but it was played there. I love the transition. From new U2 fan to an older fan.

10 times over a 2 year tour is a rarity IMO and was not done at all in the U.S. or Canada during that time. I never said it was not played, in fact I did. So it had not been done in those two major markets since 1987, 10 years. That is a long time IMO. In context of what I was saying it had been a long time since it was a regular song in the setlist. Is that ok?
  12. I actually really love Edge's version of SBS on this tour - while it doesn't have the bombast or maybe even the emotion of Bono's performance, something about it evokes a very sad sort of serenity. If Bono's performance is the rage in the aftermath of a terrible thing, Edge's performance is the sadness of it, and something about it really hits home.

Let's not also forget that Sunday Bloody Sunday was Edge's idea, and something about him performing it alone is kind of cool in that respect. The guitarist/songwriter performs the song he brought to the band.