Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. I like it too... nice version even without the bridge. And I like IWF from 2000/2001 with extended bridge too (Irving Plaza, Boston...)
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Of all the u2 shows with good sound quality that’s my least listened to. I still don’t understand how people can enjoy that show with Bono’s below par performance (admittedly no fault of his own). Different if you were there and enjoyed it and this show takes you back even but where is the enjoyment in listening to it?
    Sarajevo is all about the feeling. Nothing to do with the music, the voice or the songs played. It's all about the simple fact of playing a rock show in a devastated city, in a torn country, and bringing together thousands of people that shortly before were shooting and bombing each other.

The thing is that the Sarajevo concert wouldn't be as "enjoyable" (or epic, or trascendental, you name it) if Bono had sung it properly.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Sarajevo is all about the feeling. Nothing to do with the music, the voice or the songs played. It's all about the simple fact of playing a rock show in a devastated city, in a torn country, and bringing together thousands of people that shortly before were shooting and bombing each other.

The thing is that the Sarajevo concert wouldn't be as "enjoyable" (or epic, or trascendental, you name it) if Bono had sung it properly.
    I do get how all that made it a special gig of sorts, but that to me doesn’t make it a good gig to go back and listen to. It makes it a special gig to have been apart of or for people living in Sarajevo or nearby even. People are telling me though all that makes them want to listen to it and I accept that and the reasonings even if I don’t share the same way of enjoying music.
  4. Tastes are tastes, nothing wrong with that.

When I want to listen to a perfectly executed musical recording I listen to studio albums When I want to feel the goosebumps of 70k passionate fans helping out a singer having his worst vocal night ever, I just can't find that in a studio album.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:Tastes are tastes, nothing wrong with that.

When I want to listen to a perfectly executed musical recording I listen to studio albums When I want to feel the goosebumps of 70k passionate fans helping out a singer having his worst vocal night ever, I just can't find that in a studio album.
    Exactly
  6. Or in an official release.
  7. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    I like it too... nice version even without the bridge. And I like IWF from 2000/2001 with extended bridge too (Irving Plaza, Boston...)
    the thing I like the least about it are Larry's 'flat' drums.. he isn't doing that nice drum roll. Just stand alone it's maybe the worst version they ever did, but for PopMart and in that spot it works great.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:Tastes are tastes, nothing wrong with that.

The only thing I would say there and this is probably what it boils down to for me, I like the way music sounds live. To me a song sounds better live in most cases than in studio. It’s not about perfection but just being able to listen to the song and not being distracted by a mistake or a poor vocal performance. When live is done well that is perfect to me.
  9. I fell in love with U2’s music at a live gig. Studio songs are all right but the power of live music is unbeatable and the way this band makes me feel every time I’ve seen them live can not be described in just a few words Enough said
  10. regarding just broadcast performances from popmart, Sarajevo is legendary and some of the performances of the songs at that concert are just awesome

honorable mentions too are Leeds 97 (amazing energy - they sound like a young band) Sao Paolo 98 (MW from this gig is insane) and Rotterdam 97