Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. 90 000 in 1990's.
    50 000 was perhaps "sufficient" for the band at that time ?

2. It’s a huge, and beautiful stadium. Love the structure of the building. In some other venues the arche almost didn’t fit, But here it looks small.
    Nothing smaller in Ohio? Maybe because other venues still had games going on?
  3. Originally posted by Pipo:[..]

It’s a huge, and beautiful stadium. Love the structure of the building. In some other venues the arche almost didn’t fit, But here it looks small.
    Probably because it's 5pm and not everyone is in the stadium. People like myself tailgate we don't even go in for the support act. 😒
  4. Originally posted by Pipo:[..]

It’s a huge, and beautiful stadium. Love the structure of the building. In some other venues the arche almost didn’t fit, But here it looks small.
    This was and still is the only venue that seats above 25,000 in Columbus. My guess is that they chose Columbus because it's right in the middle of the state. Ohio is actually the 7th most populated state in the US, and Columbus is right in the middle of it all... makes sense from a logistical point of venue. Cleveland had the old Browns Stadium (where U2 played in 1987), and Cincinnati had the Bengals/Reds Riverfront Stadium. Both stadiums are smaller than Ohio Stadium, and 43,000 people would've filled them up better. Also, remember that back in the 90's, Ohio Stadium was a true Horseshoe... the South Stand wasn't built until later. So the capacity was probably something like 80-90,000.

In 1996, when the tour schedule was being planned, they probably assumed U2 were going to be able to sell as many tickets as some of Cohl's previous mega tours, like Division Bell or Voodoo Lounge. They probably figured 70,000 tickets sold in Columbus? Piece of cake!!
  5. coooooolll picture
  6. Just been browsing through the attendances for Popmart some really poor showings even first leg.Is it true they cancelled a second Philadelphia show after only 4,000 tickets sold of a possible 50,000?
  7. That's the rumor. They added a 2nd show on June 9th, and by a certain point it had only sold 4,000 tickets and they were able to determine that they wouldn't sell enough tickets to make it worth it. Part of the problem was probably that the 2nd show was added on a Monday. It's a very real thing in the US that concerts scheduled on Mondays have poorer turnouts/slower sellouts, especially at the stadium level.

My question is, what was the cutoff for what warranted a cancellation? The Jacksonville show only had 14,000-ish tickets sold, and they went ahead with that as scheduled. Raleigh was rumored to have fewer than 20,000 tickets sold, and that was the reason that show was outright cancelled instead of postponed after the DC screen destruction.
  8. Raleigh was a stage issue no? Cough, cough.
  9. Popmart Jacksonville was the first U2 show I ever saw. I had seats on the field (they actually put folding chairs on the floor back then!) and I had no idea attendance was low. I thought every second of it was just incredible.

10. I'm watching a show called "UFO" on SKY Documentaries and a random newspaper clip they showed has a Popmart article.