Originally posted by cqleonardo:why people think that Popmart was a failure? I don't know much about the story behind the tour, is it a number issue?
2. The whole Discotheque/Village People image was not understood/well received by the general public.
3. The Pop album despite being a commercial success, didn't sell as well as was expected.
4. The opening night of Popmart in Las Vegas was widely criticized because of a couple of mistakes in the show, with them having to repeat a song, and so on.
5. The whole concept of Popmart went way above people's heads and they just saw a silly superficial extravaganza and was treated/criticized accordingly.
6. The Edge's karaoke had some bad reviews, most notably singing La Macarena and being totally boooed in the stadium.
7. Eventually the tour struggled to sell out the tickets, the tour was for big stadiums and when these stadiums didn't sold out, the media was right there to point it out and the general perception was that it was a failure for the combination of all the reasons above.
8. I can imagine the stress the whole tour and all the above reasons put into the band's minds and hearts, they threw a lot of money in a concept that nobody understood, people were not responding as well as they thought, media was right there ready to point fingers at them for everything, and they had the obligation to sell the tickets.
It surely was totally exhaustive and I can totally understand how they don't want to even remember that stage of their lives.