Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. Originally posted by popmarter:The Americans didn't get Irony or like the experimental sound they used on POP that's why it didn't work in the US and that's why it's now treated like an outcast .The tour went down very well in Europe and the rest of the world apart from Deutschland and the album sold well and they had 4 UK top 10 singles from it something Achtung Baby failed to do .It was the first tour they ever played South America and a few of those gigs were broadcast live on TV which were incredible most of which are on YouTube .Overall the tour was a massive success yeah it did get off to a shaky start which the media couldn't wait to tell the world but after a few weeks they really hit the ground running .
    The first time I ever saw the band was on May 12th 1997 at the Cotton Bowl on the Popmart tour.

To this day I have been waiting for them to top it. I'd say that the first Elevation show and the opening night of the current tour were on the same level. But they haven't topped it.
  2. I saw the popmart tour in Tampa FL, it was a last minute decision to go and we got ok seats, but half the stadium was empty. Fans here in America called it the flopmart tour.
  3. Originally posted by Coso:[..]
    The first time I ever saw the band was on May 12th 1997 at the Cotton Bowl on the Popmart tour.

To this day I have been waiting for them to top it. I'd say that the first Elevation show and the opening night of the current tour were on the same level. But they haven't topped it.
    Beggining of the Elevation Tour was the best because they had Discotheque, Gone and The Fly with at the time the toppest version of the song at the whole tour and this version beats the ZOO and Vertigo Tour version for endless miles of course.

In 360 version has been again ressurrected and it was a rocker with Bono"s guitar parts

In Tampa '97 was Fly was an only a bit long snippet in Discotheque and I think it was a really shame that they not played that full song in that tour, because it hadded be good fitted for (example at your show) between IWF and EBTTRT or at the rest of tour before Gone.
  4. Here in South America the pop-tour was a great success, not to mention their show in Mexico.
  5. Popmart is the only tour of Australia that I have missed. Like many, I was bewildered by the techno sound; this was not the U2 I knew and followed. I was also in the early stages of parenting and really couldn't justify the cost of of seeing a concert where I didn't like the album. After Passengers and Pop, I was close to moving on from U2.

It took me a good 10 years before I listened to it and that came about from the live tracks released with the CD single for Beautiful Day. I learned that, lyrically, this album was every bit as good as AB and later remixes and live versions improved on the imperfect and rushed studio album.

The official Popmart DVD is a fantastic show, made all the more emotional because it was recorded in the days after Michael Hutchence sadly died and the band was unable to attend his funeral. But my favourite recording has to be 'Please' in Rotterdam; it is simply one of the best live performances of any song they have ever captured, absolutely spine tingling.
  6. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:Popmart is the only tour of Australia that I have missed. Like many, I was bewildered by the techno sound; this was not the U2 I knew and followed. I was also in the early stages of parenting and really couldn't justify the cost of of seeing a concert where I didn't like the album. After Passengers and Pop, I was close to moving on from U2.

It took me a good 10 years before I listened to it and that came about from the live tracks released with the CD single for Beautiful Day. I learned that, lyrically, this album was every bit as good as AB and later remixes and live versions improved on the imperfect and rushed studio album.

The official Popmart DVD is a fantastic show, made all the more emotional because it was recorded in the days after Michael Hutchence sadly died and the band was unable to attend his funeral. But my favourite recording has to be 'Please' in Rotterdam; it is simply one of the best live performances of any song they have ever captured, absolutely spine tingling.
    god bless you !
  7. I loved Popmart
    It was the era when you rarely knew anything about a gig except for the odd press article (and they were usually related to negativity for this tour) and all I’d seen was the Rotterdam 4 track tv broadcast prior to 2 nights in Wembley....and both gigs blew me away

8. Aside from the satirical themes being less coherent than Zoo TV, I think Popmart's ambition/vision on stage was from the outset bigger than the ambitions initially laid down by Zoo TV which originally was going to be just an arena tour. I think that's where the problems began with that particular tour and era of the band. With Zoo TV, the idea grew into something big whereas with Popmart you feel like they decided to think big and then the idea came after it.

To someone who knows little or nothing about U2 the idea of Pop making the transition to a multi graphical, satirical show beast would seem incompatible. The album is without any of the grandiosity or widescreen liberation that typifies the U2 sound that was defined in the ears of many by The Joshua Tree. It's a very claustrophobic, introspective and at times cynical record. They upscale the aggression of the Pop tunes to fit to the stadium surroundings of Popmart and for the most part (in my opinion) it works, sounding a lot more punchier and better than the record version and you kind of feel they in part 'discovered' the record themselves throughout the tour - just look at their performances Please! I think, because of that, Popmart helped refine and give Pop a fighting chance.

9. I found this pic of a concert, but I can't remember where it was.
    Look at the golden arch
    Can someone help me?
  10. Perth 1998
  11. I estimate Perth 98, the only indoor POP show.