1. Originally posted by clover68:or Bart or
    you don't put yourself completely in the hands of live nation if you don't want to do what somebody tell you what to do
    they could but don't want

But I can't see someone telling one of the most successful rockbands of all time what they have to do. I can't see Larry, especially Larry, bono, edge and Adam just doing what they are told by some record company guy.

But I guess I live in a dream world
  2. I just think that Live Nation is the kind of organisation that hires clever "advisors" that can persuate Larry ( wait, may be not Larry), but certainly Bono, Edge and Adam, that they know the secret about how to be "relevant" again......
  3. I'm not overly concerned. LiveNation already handle the touring side of things and I highly suspect that the band don't have a ton of major business decisions ahead of them. By that I mean record deals mainly. McGuinness will have tied up any loose ends himself (he famously gets his 20% remember). The band definitely need management but at this stage of their career getting an album out, promoting it then touring it shouldn't be a terribly hard task for a competent manager.

I do expect less/smaller shows and higher average ticket prices.
  4. WHAT THE
  5. I AM concerned. I AM sad. This is terrible news.
    One, because Paul McGuinness had been U2's only manager since they started out, the first person besides U2 families that believed in the boys back in 1976; it's so sad to see him go! He was also a very respected guy in the musical businness and industry, and his amount of contacts and influences won't be easily matched by anyone else...
    And two, because it's LiveNation, guys, LIVEFUCKINGNATION, what's taking our band completely in their hands!!! Like if they didn't own a big enough part of the business... Now, let's sell out the biggest live-band in the world to theirs, so they can spread their filthy money-seeking tentacles even further.... No no no no no

Terrible news by any means. Terrible news
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:I AM concerned. I AM sad. This is terrible news.
    One, because Paul McGuinness had been U2's only manager since they started out, the first person besides U2 families that believed in the boys back in 1976; it's so sad to see him go! He was also a very respected guy in the musical businness and industry, and his amount of contacts and influences won't be easily matched by anyone else...
    And two, because it's LiveNation, guys, LIVEFUCKINGNATION, what's taking our band completely in their hands!!! Like if they didn't own a big enough part of the business... Now, let's sell out the biggest live-band in the world to theirs, so they can spread their filthy money-seeking tentacles even further.... No no no no no

Terrible news by any means. Terrible news

I've been lurking here for some time, but this is such catastrophic news that I feel compelled to add my tuppence worth, and say I agree with you completely.
  7. If it was such a disaster then the band should have taken a different direction. I'msure their ppockets will have been well lined. A sad day yet but you can't blame big Paul for wanting to spend some of his retirement.
  8. Of course not, he's 64 and has very well earned a bit of rest (I've always said he was the one that worked the most in/for the band). I don't blame him for that. I blame him/the band/whoever for allowing/choosing LiveNation as his replacement. It's just awful
  9. It's U2. I doubt they need a particularly inventive manager at this stage of their career. I don't forsee anything being different. Music will be released and the band will tour. All of the background dealings will have been well tied up already.
  10. Some good news out of the article is that we should start hearing some new music within month of January early Feb. if there is a Super Bowl add then a new single would probably be out for sure around that time.
  11. Sad news. Don't know what to expect with Live Nation involved in the decision making processes. All the best to Paul McGuiness!!!