1. I don't think his goal was to "achieve" anything, more like getting in touch with all McG contacts, become familiar with U2's environment, etc. His true work starts now that everbody knows he's the one relieving McG.
  2. It's nice to know that the band plan to continue. An old band member who may pass on one day will not stop U2 dead in their tracks or perhaps dishearten them.
    So it's a positive move.
    So whens the album coming along?
  3. Supposedly somewhere around April.
  4. April is not too bad I can wait till then meanwhile there's lots of other goodies listen to.
  5. Looks like U2 might finally be active on social media.
  6. "...in February 2012 after Madonna announced her tour the day after the Super Bowl."

Haha, we'll know what to expect next year then
  7. Well hold on a second. While it's sad to see McGuiness leave, I think we should wait to see what this new partnership brings. U2 has been working with Live Nation for a while, so I honestly doubt things will change in that regard. I believe the decision for that partnership to become more ingrained was McGuiness's last decision before officially leaving.

Also, many of you mention that McGuiness was considered part of the U2 family. That being said, can you ever truly leave the family business? I'm sure McGuiness will remain deeply involved with the band. This move makes that involvement informal and absolves him of the other logistical responsibilities that come with being the manager.
  8. Dec. 06 2013

Thanking Paul McGuinness

'This week U2 finalised and signed a new management contract with Live Nation and Guy Oseary.

The band now want to publicly thank Paul McGuinness for his extraordinary leadership, guidance and friendship over the last 35 years.

Paul has saved us from ourselves many times over and we would not be U2 without him.

Sometime soon, U2 will begin a new adventure around the world and we totally understand and respect Paul's desire to not run away with the circus – AGAIN.

Perhaps more than any music management operation in history, Paul, alongside Trevor, Keryn and the team at Principle Management has always fought for our rights, for our music, for our fans and for the principles that we and he believe in. His central lesson was that if you cared for your "art", you must also "take care of business" as historically with rock and roll bands, the latter has undone the former.

We are relieved he will remain on as the mentor-in-chief.

We've known Guy for a long, long time, and we're excited that with Paul's blessing he's agreed to take us on. He is a brilliant man with a lot of energy, and knows he has got some big shoes to fill.'

Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry.
  9. http://edit.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/legal-and-management/5876780/u2s-one-paul-mcguinness-explains-his-35-years-spent

What was behind the decision to step back from managing U2, and the band’s signing Guy Oseary and moving to Live Nation’s artist management division?
    I’m 62, and I did not feel like doing the next tour. As you have observed, I’ve been to pretty well every show U2 have ever performed, and I just did not want to continue doing that into my 60s. The rights to U2’s music, their masters and their copyrights, have been, with difficulty and at some costs, completely retrieved. I had some equity participation in that, but the right people to sell that equity to were the band. That’s really what has happened in this transaction: U2 have acquired the remaining rights, and they now own 100% of their masters and their copyrights.
  10. A smart man.
  11. A brilliant article... except for the token 'they're on fire' line.

Makes me excited about the tour though when he speaks about concerts and designs - Even if it is an arena tour, perhaps they have something spectacular in mind?