1. Whipping Boy / Heartworm (released Nov. 1, 1995)

"The once-future kings of Irish rock’n’roll remember 'Heartworm'
    (The Irish Times, November 5, 2015)

‘Heartworm’ is one of Irish music’s most acclaimed albums but it brought Whipping Boy little success. Twenty years on, the former band members reflect on its complex legacy

Myles McDonnell sighs at each passing compliment feted upon Whipping Boy’s second album, Heartworm. It’s not an impolite gesture. The former bassist couldn’t be more proud of the esteem in which his band’s 1995 album is held. His resigned response is borne out of years of frustration – years of thinking, what if?

Released just over 20 years ago, Heartworm is a record beset by what-ifs. A relative commercial failure on release, it has since become regarded as one of the great Irish rock albums. From the menacing disdain of We Don’t Need Nobody Else to the inebriating nostalgia of When We Were Young, how Heartworm didn’t spark a career beyond the band’s split in 1998 remains, for many, incomprehensible.

Two decades on McDonnell, guitarist Paul Page and drummer Colm Hassett pore over the past with a sense of pride tempered by melancholy. Singer Fearghal McKee is also proud but still emits a certain wildness.

In 1993 Whipping Boy were into their fifth year and had two independent record deals and a failed debut album, Submarine, behind them. Holed up in a damp and dingy Dublin rehearsal space, the band began to feel any optimism dissipate.

“The circle of people around the band were starting to disappear,” says Page. “We were asking, ‘was it really worth it?’ Then we wrote We Don’t Need Nobody Else as a kind of defiant thing and that seemed to be the catalyst that triggered something.”

The song signalled a new dexterity. Where previously they had mimicked contemporaries such as The Jesus & Mary Chain, here they honed an emotional intensity all of their own that led to songs such as Blinded and Personality. McKee’s vocal, previously lost in a swirl of frequencies, was now to the fore, showcasing his lyrical prowess.

“The best of everybody came out,” says McDonnell. “It felt honest. It felt like we had something to say and that there was some substance to Fearghal’s lyrics.”

Unreal honesty

In McKee, this direct approach brought out challenging lyrics that touched upon domestic violence and mental health. Although coy when pressed on individual lines, he credits his bandmates for facilitating such sincerity. “The fuckin’ honesty among us as a band was unreal,” he says. “Pure honesty. And it was safe. It was safe to write that.”

These new songs instigated a change in fortune. Sony’s Columbia imprint gave them a two-album deal in May 1994 and recording for Heartworm began that November.

“As soon as we signed the thing, I fucking had sparks,” says McKee, whose experience of Sony is at odds with his bandmates. Where he says the label “interfered all the fucking time”, the others disagree. “They didn’t interfere in the recording of Heartworm at all, which even the producer Warne Livesey was surprised by,” says Page. “We got to make the record that we wanted to make.”

It would be nearly a year after recording finished, however, before Heartworm emerged. By then the musical landscape had shifted. The UK music press’s obsession with the derivative Britpop movement – at its peak in mid/late 1995 – effectively torpedoed Heartworm.

Although the album entered the Irish Top 20, it failed to make the UK Top 40 and sold 80,000 copies worldwide, catastrophic as far as Sony was concerned. Whipping Boy were out of step with the prevailing wind.

Had Heartworm been released in early 1995, as was The Bends by Radiohead – and not three weeks after Oasis’ all conquering (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? – it may have fared better.

“We played Jools Holland in April or May or something like that,” McKee remembers. “Really fucking early. And the album wasn’t released until maybe six months later. The album should have been released three weeks later.”

These seemingly innocuous decisions grate.

Silly decisions

“We made some silly decisions and were advised, probably badly, by our management that cost us in the long run,” says McDonnell. “One of the biggest regrets is that we never played the US.”

“That killed us really,” adds Page. “We went over to New York to meet the US label and they were hugely enthusiastic. They had all these plans for the band and signed us up to support [Illinois rock act] Stabbing Westward on a six-week US tour.

“Then we got offered a support tour with Lou Reed in Europe. So our manager Gail Colson advised us to pull out of the US tour. The American label didn’t want to know after that. They literally went cold overnight.”

“We didn’t do enough touring,” adds Hassett. “Sony’s process was to use promo tours to break a band, so we were going around Europe doing interviews and not really playing gigs. That was a big mistake. We weren’t building a proper fan base.”

By mid-1996 a change of management at Columbia saw the band frozen out. They were advised to leave with a settlement rather than insist on a second album. “Our manager felt that there would be any number of record companies interested in signing the band,” says McDonnell. “So it seemed, at the time, like a win-win for us.” However, no offers came in and Colson cut her ties shortly after.

An under-appreciated third album, Whipping Boy, was self-funded in 1998 but, by the time it surfaced in 2000, the band was over. “The truth went after that third album because we all had different lives,” says McKee. “There was no falling out but we were all having families and kids. Life – the other life – was taking over.”

“Ultimately the lack of success of Heartworm cost the band,” says McDonnell. “It meant that we were on a timeline. The funds were going down. The morale was going down. And it’s hard to keep those things up when it feels like things are on the downslide.”

The band reunited for a run of shows in 2005, but things petered out. “I knew our time had passed at that stage,” says Page. “Bands have a certain time when they are vital and our time had passed. Even if we had written anything new, the chances are people wouldn’t have been that interested.”

Hassett and McKee toured again as Whipping Boy in 2011, this time without McDonnell and Page, who felt the band should only return with new material. They took “huge offence” when Hassett and McKee carried on regardless.

“It was something that myself and Paul would never have done,” says McDonnell. “I felt that we were genuine to ourselves when we did the 2005 shows. There was no room to play those songs any further than just cabaret, and I never wanted us to be that. I felt that we could have done something new. At the time, we were both very hurt.”

No reunion

That hurt has since passed, but McDonnell says the band has no future. An offer of a 20th anniversary show last month was turned down. “I would never play again with Whipping Boy on the basis that once anyone went out as Whipping Boy, without all four members, that would be it for me,” says Page. McKee and Hassett similarly see the band as finished. “Whipping Boy is gone now. It can’t be called back again,” says McKee.

Heartworm and the band’s final eponymous album were the mark of a band that had something inherently special. For McDonnell the big regret is about lost potential.

“That’s the real tragedy – where we might have taken it. I genuinely felt that our band would have matched anyone pound for pound. I don’t think Whipping Boy ran its course.”

McKee, however, is reluctant to endorse any hard luck story. “We were fucking successful. We were a band that was never supposed to be heard. Whipping Boy is not a name for a band chasing success. Yeats always said never let a mood escape you. And that’s what we did with Heartworm, we never let a mood escape each other.

“We captured something beautiful; something true. That’s fucking success.”

2. One of the best albums ever.

3. The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues (October, 1988)

The history behind Fisherman's Blues begins with Steve Wickham's contribution to "The Pan Within" on the preceding Waterboys album This Is the Sea. Wickham joined the group officially in 1985 after This Is the Sea had been released. Mike Scott, The Waterboys' leader, spent time in Dublin with Wickham, and moved to Ireland in 1986. That year The Waterboys performed "Fisherman's Blues" on The Tube, which was the first time the new musical direction the band was taking was demonstrated.

The recording sessions for the album were lengthy and produced a great deal of music. The sessions began at Windmill Lane Studio in Dublin and lasted from January through March 1986. An additional session took place that December in San Francisco. From March to August 1987 The Waterboys were recording in Windmill Lane again. Scott moved to Galway and another year passed as the band recorded at Spiddal House, where Scott was living. The entire second side of the original record is made up of recordings from this 1988 session. The album was released that October (see 1988 in music). Scott describes the process; "We started recording our fourth album in early '86 and completed it 100 songs and 2 years later".

More songs from the album's recording sessions were released on Too Close to Heaven, or Fisherman's Blues, Part 2 as it was titled in the United States, in 2002 by BMG and Razor and Tie Entertainment, respectively. Other songs from the sessions remain unreleased, including a cover of Bob Dylan's "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight", "The Man With the Wind at His Heels", "Stranger to Me", "Saints and Angels", and "Born to Be Together". A remastered "Collector's Edition" with additional tracks was released in May 2006.

A 7-CD box set, containing 121 tracks from the album sessions including all those on the original record and subsequent editions, plus a further 85 unreleased tracks was released on 14 October 2013.

Mike Scott had been pursuing his grandiose "big music" since he founded the Waterboys, so it came as a shock when he scaled back the group's sound for the Irish and English folk of Fisherman's Blues. Although the arena-rock influences have been toned down, Scott's vision is no less sweeping or romantic, making even the simplest songs on Fisherman's Blues feel like epics. Nevertheless, the album is the Waterboys' warmest and most rewarding record, boasting a handful of fine songs ("And a Bang on the Ear," the ominous "We Will Not Be Lovers," "Has Anybody Here Seen Hank?," and the title track), as well as a surprisingly successful cover of Van Morrison's breathtaking "Sweet Thing."

4. I love Fisherman's blues. I like folk songs.
  5. Pure slice of magic that!
  6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:
    Ambient. Atmospheric. Ethereal. Intelligent.

As a huge fan of this band since the early '80's this to me is their greatest masterpiece. Probably of my Top 10 favorite albums. Crack open a beer, kick back in your recliner or throw your feet up on your coffee table and turn up the volume.

(this contains 2 bonus tracks added to 2011 re-release.)

[YouTube Video]

Hope you enjoy!

1 Aura 6:59
    2 Ripple 6:03
    3 Paradox 3:59
    4 Lustre 5:45
    5 Swan Lake 2:26
    6 Feel 3:55
    7 Mistress 4:12
    8 Kings 4:35
    9 Dome 4:00
    10 Witch Hunt 1:27
    11 The Disillusionist 6:24
    12 Old Flame 1:37
    13 Chaos 9:34
    14 Film 3:56
    (...)

5 months later I hate how life gets in the way sometimes. I'm slightly drunk while listening and writing so forgive any possible typos or incoherences pls

The Church - Priest = Aura

First of all, the audio quality of the video posted above is terrible. The video is fine with the pshychedeIyc images but first started listening to the album in Youtube, then changed to Spotify and it was a truly different story. I let the video run without audio so it accompanied the good quality sound from Spotify. Much nicer experience.

Aura sets the mood for the album. Atmospherical instrumentation and slow vocals, basically. It's a good opener although it felt like it went on a bit longer than it should.
    NRipple suffered a bit from the same but it was a bit more standard sounding, but the final coda with the guitar was somewhat fascinating.
    By Paradox I agree with Tim that the vocals are gettting repetitive and monotonous, although I like them and can't object much to it. This sounds like a song from some band I know but it's too late and I'm too drunk to put my finger on it. Maybe something from The Cure. I love the lyrics, this one goes to Top tracks!
    Lustre's opening sounds like something from The Edge's 1984 vaults. Overall a very 80s sounding track, not entirely my cup of tea but I love the change in mood and chords of the choruses.
    Swan Lake features an interesting change in instrumentation, and the 6/8 time signature helps making it a very different song to what we've heard before. Sadly, it's too short, and ends before you can really get into it. It could have been a minute or two longer and would be in my top tracks.
    Feel is another 80s sounding track, it was very forgettable until that strange guitar solo came in at 1:45, that made the song a bit more bearable. Still the lowest point of the album so far.
    Mistress is a creepy sounding little tune, in 6/8 time again. Nothing stands out but it's interesting enough not to be skipped.
    My favourite lyrics so far are featured in Kings. Beneath these walls we'll sleep tonight, beneath this sky we'll glide so bright. Lovely. I think they aimed for an Arabic/desert sound to get along with the lyrics but didn't quite get there. The result is very interesting though.
    Dome is nothing special. The chorus sounds very good but the rest of the track is basically the same we've already heard in several other songs.
    6/8 and creepy instrumentations comes back for Witch Hunt, which is basically a short song about... Witch hunting. Ha.
    The Disillusionist would be a highlight if only for the choir voices, finally a break from the soloist main singer. But there's much more than that. It's a brilliant song in every possible way. And the accompanying video is particularly fitting . After two listens it's pretty obvious that my favourite song by the Welsh band Los Campesinos! is inspired in this track. Take a listen and compare: The Church - The Disillusionist // Los Campesinos! - The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future. No need to mention that this has gone straight to top tracks.
    Old Flame is the other short song, overshadowed by the previous song and not really worth mentioning.
    Chaos is the longest song on the album and it's justified. I'm a sucker for songs that feature false endings like Helter Skelter or The Electric Co, but this went a step further and featured not one but TWO false endings! Ha, eat that up. The song goes on forever but the different textures and feelings make it feel much shorter.
    Film is the official closer of the album, bonus tracks excluded. It's the only instrumental song, and a very nice one!
    Nightmare [bonus track] could easily be an album track. It has a unique sound, slightly more electronic, and the chorus is brilliant. We'll ride the nightmare every night, risking our dreams / And then we'll fall from such a height we'll split our seams is a strong contender for the best chorus in the album. The song is better than 4 or 5 of the main album tracks!
    Fog [bonus track] is a decent track in the path of Lustre or Dome. Nothing special.

Top tracks
    The Disillusionist
    Paradox
    Kings
    Film

Overall it's a bit hit and miss. A good album by a band who clearly knows what they're doing, but too rollercoaster to be really really good. There are truly brilliant songs but you could do without the forgettable ones without any hassle. The monotony of the main vocals doesn't help changing this, and the songs that stand out are precisely those where the vocals change up a bit. Anyway a very enjoyable (and long!) album. Thanks Greg! And sorry it took so long
  7. Bump