1. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:We're halfway through the week! We've got through Saturday to post reviews and reactions to The Waterboys' This Is the Sea. Then on Sunday someone will post a new album for the new week...

Who's up next?
  2. I'd be happy to go next if nobody else wants to more
  3. I'll have to try and listen to it tonight because I'll be on the U2 train from tomorrow.
  4. Very interesting album, thanks for introducing me in this:

Don’t Bang The Drums – Interesting intro like from Once Upon A Tim In The West leads to great rock track, like if The Cure started to play progressive rock spiced with saxophone… really great start of the album. Probably my favourite song from this album
    The Whole Of The Moon – I know this is the intro for current JT tour but it’s not really my favourite track (can’t say why). I don’t say it’s bad,but still the weaker part of the album.
    Spirit – It’s probably excerpt of the song,I saw there is 4 minute version of the song on some reissue or as B-side or what Not bad,a little reminds me of Alice Cooper from ghe album we already reviewed here.
    The Pan Within – Very 80’s feel in this one with interesting strings. Like it,one of my favourites from this album
    Medicine Bow – faster short song – not very rocky,more like fast forward folk song
    Old England – song I would expect in some old english port pub… some pub traditional/folk song
    Be My Enemy – this one is better. Also pub song but some kind of pub rock but really like it. A little bit reminds me of some of Nick Cave faster songs. Is it recorded live?
    Trumpets – Saxophone in song about trumpets? really nice song
    This Is The Sea – title track would be better with some crescendo or some climatix finish. It is like waiting for something what never comes. Not bad,but that’s all. That was the river, this is the sea!

Overal
    it is really nice album with mostly nice rock sound with some folk, progressive, new wave parts. Definitely will check some other music by them, would love if someone recommend some rock album, not any of their more folk times
    7,5/10

Top tracks:
    Don’t Bang The Drums
    The Pan Within
    Be My Enemy
    Trumpets
  5. Originally posted by Alvin:Very interesting album, thanks for introducing me in this:

Don’t Bang The Drums – Interesting intro like from Once Upon A Tim In The West leads to great rock track, like if The Cure started to play progressive rock spiced with saxophone… really great start of the album. Probably my favourite song from this album
    The Whole Of The Moon – I know this is the intro for current JT tour but it’s not really my favourite track (can’t say why). I don’t say it’s bad,but still the weaker part of the album.
    Spirit – It’s probably excerpt of the song,I saw there is 4 minute version of the song on some reissue or as B-side or what Not bad,a little reminds me of Alice Cooper from ghe album we already reviewed here.
    The Pan Within – Very 80’s feel in this one with interesting strings. Like it,one of my favourites from this album
    Medicine Bow – faster short song – not very rocky,more like fast forward folk song
    Old England – song I would expect in some old english port pub… some pub traditional/folk song
    Be My Enemy – this one is better. Also pub song but some kind of pub rock but really like it. A little bit reminds me of some of Nick Cave faster songs. Is it recorded live?
    Trumpets – Saxophone in song about trumpets? really nice song
    This Is The Sea – title track would be better with some crescendo or some climatix finish. It is like waiting for something what never comes. Not bad,but that’s all. That was the river, this is the sea!

Overal
    it is really nice album with mostly nice rock sound with some folk, progressive, new wave parts. Definitely will check some other music by them, would love if someone recommend some rock album, not any of their more folk times
    7,5/10

Top tracks:
    Don’t Bang The Drums
    The Pan Within
    Be My Enemy
    Trumpets
    Very interesting comparisons... never thought of them, but they make sense.

Try Dream Harder from 1993 or A Rock In A Weary Land from 2000
  6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    Very interesting comparisons... never thought of them, but they make sense.

Try Dream Harder from 1993 or A Rock In A Weary Land from 2000
    thanks for recommendations- will check it out.
    Maybe some comparisons look weird,but that's what I hear
  7. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    thanks for recommendations- will check it out.
    Maybe some comparisons look weird,but that's what I hear
    They make sense when I go back and revisit...
  8. I had this album on tape (some copied it for me...oh that 80-ies bliss!) but never bought the album.
    I only bought the Whole Of The Moon "45" with Medicine Jack on the b-side.
    Ever since the first time I heard TWOTM I have found it a very magical track. And I still do.
    Don't Bang The Drums and This Is The Sea were also played on the radio, as I recall.

Think it's time to see if I can get a nice copy from a Discogs seller

Great and informative read you blue eyed boy
  9. Originally posted by BigGiRL:I had this album on tape (some copied it for me...oh that 80-ies bliss!) but never bought the album.
    Ever since the first time I heard TWOTM I have found it a very magical track. And I still do.
    Don't Bang The Drums and This Is The Sea were also played on the radio, as I recall.

10. Originally posted by BigGiRL:I had this album on tape (some copied it for me...oh that 80-ies bliss!) but never bought the album.

Maybe you could write a review as well?