1. Giving the bonus disc a listen through for the first time in a while. Damn fine stuff. The acoustic versions are, while no patch on the album versions, charming with a lot of nice touches like the horns on California and RBW. The alternate Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby are so good. Invisible reminding me of high school, and how much this song meant when it dropped...

And of course... THE CRYSTAL BALLROOM
  2. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Giving the bonus disc a listen through for the first time in a while. Damn fine stuff. The acoustic versions are, while no patch on the album versions, charming with a lot of nice touches like the horns on California and RBW. The alternate Troubles and Sleep Like a Baby are so good. Invisible reminding me of high school, and how much this song meant when it dropped...

And of course... THE CRYSTAL BALLROOM
    Alternative version of The Troubles? Now that's something I haven't listened to in a thousand years, can't even remember how it sounds.

EDIT. Ah now I remember: it's the version that's musically a thousand times better than the original one, but vocally it's a trainwreck... right?
  3. Incredible album, their 3rd masterpiece behind Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree in my opinion.
  4. Incredible album, their 3rd masterpiece behind Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree in my opinion.

1000% AGREE!!
  5. The album suffered because of the Apple gate backlash overall it was a decent album but wouldn't rate it in the top 3 albums,surprisingly POP has really grown on fans over the years and I would have it up there with AB and Atomic Bomb.
  6. The album is still one of the best they have done. No bad songs or throw aways. Add Ordinary Love and Invisible to the bunch and it’s a classic to me. A lot of great guitar stuff from Edge is my memory of first listen in my house when it dropped. Such a surprise. Terrible album cover is my only complaint.
  7. What album cover...???

(sorry...bad joke )

PS: this is the "mispackaged" variant...but perhaps it was the best album cover
  8. Originally posted by jasvan:The album is still one of the best they have done. No bad songs or throw aways. Add Ordinary Love and Invisible to the bunch and it’s a classic to me. A lot of great guitar stuff from Edge is my memory of first listen in my house when it dropped. Such a surprise. Terrible album cover is my only complaint.
    I agree! I love it plus the bsides ,LH and CB were awesome too. And yes, horrendous artwork.
  9. I love this album. Will definitely give it a spin today. I actually really like the white album cover. It goes with the theme they were going for I think.
  10. Ah, Songs of Innocence, such a special record to me... I think one thing that works so well about this one is that it’s very accessible, very U2y and very fresh and crisp, BUT that the subject matter is a bit of a treat to us hardcore fans. We all KNOW this is “Boy 2K14”, the backstories to where they were when they started. Listening to it again and again as a hardcore fan, I think, is rewarding from that perspective, and I can imagine it’d be a treat for a new fan brought on board by this album - and despite the backlash there surely were a lot; your entire back catalogue doesn’t jump back into the top 200 in iTunes without that happening - we existing fans didn’t need to buy any of their albums, after all