1. Thank goodness for the Innocence & Experience Tour or else I don't think I would've had SOI grow on me like it did live. I still recall feeling extremely excited at the surprise release but then not wanting to admit that I was underwhelmed by the album itself.

Hot take: Every Breaking Wave doesn't fit on the album. It's my favorite, along with Cedarwood Road and Sleep Like a Baby, but thematically it should've gone on NLOTH.
  2. Every Breaking wave,California,Cedarwood Road and The Troubles were my favourite tracks on 1st listen and still are today shame they didn't play California more on the I&E tour, I dunno if Bono felt it too difficult to sing on a regular basis or it didn't fit the narrative either way it was great live .
  3. Man, 7 years since SOI release? Raise your hand if you were here the day of the release, everyone was freaking out because iTunes didn't download the album automatically (me included), asking for any shady method help to download it, us in the crew creating topics for all songs and deciphering what Bono said in each song, etc.
    Remember the "cover" of the album with just the LP, before the official one, and how we all thought it was fake?
    Oh, those were the days. Still a great album.
  4. anyone know the explanation of why the acoustic songs on the bonus Cd weren't seperated tracks?
    Was the band ever asked why?- or anyone's own guess?
  5. Originally posted by popmarter:Every Breaking wave,California,Cedarwood Road and The Troubles were my favourite tracks on 1st listen and still are today shame they didn't play California more on the I&E tour, I dunno if Bono felt it too difficult to sing on a regular basis or it didn't fit the narrative either way it was great live .
    [YouTube Video]
    California it's the highlight of this record... this live version shows his potential
  6. I’ve probably listened to that Jools Holland performance of California more than any other live version over the last few months and I think it probably is my favourite except maybe the Dreamforce gig because of edges guitar work there but there isn’t a pro quality recording of that. On the I&E tour I didn’t like Edge’s guitar work compared to the synths on the album for the chorus, still good but not great. Jools Holland is closer and Dreamforce closer still but the album is the best version of California imo, really great song.
  7. Songs Of Innocence defintely showed its potential live. Iris, Raised By Wolves, Troubles, even Song For Someone were all great tracks. Every Breakiing Wave and The Miracle were great acoustic tracks. I wish they would play those songs more to be honest (and Invisible, too). When the album came out I didn't really understand how good it was but in these 7 years it's grown on me a lot. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight really is one of the best things done since Achtung Baby for me.
    Songs Of Experience instead is a bit of a disappointment: it didn't impress me live (mainly because thay had tons of backing tracks and the songs were played too slow) and I liked it more when it came out than I do now
  8. SOE has only gotten worse over time for me. I wasn’t a fan to begin with and now I put at the bottom. The tour sucked also imo. It was lazy until they figured out that great setlist that it ended with. But by that time, most people who went to see the tour got screwed with a stale set.

For me , it’s not even close. SOI is awesome. I love it from top to bottom and the tour was great.
  9. I decided to pass on driving five hours from the Toronto area to Montreal for the SOE tour. Selfishly, I gave a huge sight of relief after seeing the setlist. Was not impressed.
  10. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Man, 7 years since SOI release? Raise your hand if you were here the day of the release, everyone was freaking out because iTunes didn't download the album automatically (me included), asking for any shady method help to download it, us in the crew creating topics for all songs and deciphering what Bono said in each song, etc.
    Remember the "cover" of the album with just the LP, before the official one, and how we all thought it was fake?
    Oh, those were the days. Still a great album.
    The forum crashing absolutely due to the volume of visitors and having to create another topic on the go for the album discussions... Those were the days, definitely. A similar event/announcement today wouldn't have nearly half of the impact.
  11. The whole SoI is better than Miami , playboy, velvet and wake up Deadman combined