1. Even opening and closing with Vertigo lol?
  2. I would take Vertigo over ISHFWILF as a closer any day. Opening with Vertigo and hence playing it twice was a totally different story, though, and it was crap. But I was talking about closing songs exclusively
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I would take Vertigo over ISHFWILF as a closer any day. Opening with Vertigo and hence playing it twice was a totally different story, though, and it was crap. But I was talking about closing songs exclusively
    As much as I think Vertigo is overdone and meh and should be replaced in the set by another good U2 rock song, I agree with this.

Still Haven't Found works as a closer lyrically, but it's a mid-tempo song that kind of just falls flat as a closer.

But I gotta say, seeing the Joshua Tree tour in 2017, it was obvious they were closing with One, but the energy was so high and hungry that U2 made the call to play I Will Follow and it fucking ROCKED THE HOUSE.

I've never seen so many middle aged people jumping like teenagers in one place. It was pandemonium and it was fucking awesome.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    But I gotta say, seeing the Joshua Tree tour in 2017, it was obvious they were closing with One, but the energy was so high and hungry that U2 made the call to play I Will Follow and it fucking ROCKED THE HOUSE.

I've never seen so many middle aged people jumping like teenagers in one place. It was pandemonium and it was fucking awesome.
    YES. I didn't get to experience it but everyone says (and I agree judging from videos) that IWF was fucking incredible as a closer. @germcevoy swears IWF in Amsterdam almost got his faith in the band back!
  5. this song is very ignored by the band and most of the fans. IMO.
  6. I stepped outside like I had never seen the night before
    Looking at the stars that had never looked so bright before
    This crooked heart had never felt so light before
    A brand new man, I’m a brand new man

Those are some fantastic lyrics, how’d they get left on a an alternate version?
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    YES. I didn't get to experience it but everyone says (and I agree judging from videos) that IWF was fucking incredible as a closer. @germcevoy swears IWF in Amsterdam almost got his faith in the band back!
    I nearly don't ever want to see another u2 show to leave that I will follow moment as my last memory of seeing the band live. It was that good
  8. This is not related to The Troubles (song) but is related to The Troubles (the Irish conflict) and also to Please.

John Hume, the leader of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) of Northern Ireland has passed away today.

He was one of the architects of the Northern Ireland peace process, he won the Nobel Prize, the Gandhi Peace Prize and the Martin Luther King Award for that and he is, up to today, the only recipient of the three major peace awards. And well, he also appears in the Please single cover, which is not an award but kind of makes it relevant for this forum

May he rest in the same peace that he achieved for millions.

He appears holding Bono's left arm in this historical photo:

9. Thank you for posting this Sergio. It means a lot.

John Hume was a giant figure for peace for decades in very, very dark times on the island of Ireland. Always opposed to violence...

Blessed are the peacemakers

RIP John Hume

10. RIP and such a great songs both (Troubles and Please) - and both deserve being regulars on tours...
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:This is not related to The Troubles (song) but is related to The Troubles (the Irish conflict) and also to Please.

John Hume, the leader of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) of Northern Ireland has passed away today.

He was one of the architects of the Northern Ireland peace process, he won the Nobel Prize, the Gandhi Peace Prize and the Martin Luther King Award for that and he is, up to today, the only recipient of the three major peace awards. And well, he also appears in the Please single cover, which is not an award but kind of makes it relevant for this forum

May he rest in the same peace that he achieved for millions.

He appears holding Bono's left arm in this historical photo:

[image]

[image]
    And, almost exactly 2 years later, David Trimble (the other guy holding Bono's hand, the former leader of the Ulster Unionist Party for 10 years) passed away too.