1. Ah see, I love this one.
  2. I'm only half way through my first listen of the album but this one was the worst so far. Intro was kind of weird, but why a song named after/as a tribute to California? Doesn't seem authentic coming from four Irishmen! Filler indeed.

I think I read something about Bono really liking New York so that explains that song but has he ever said much about California? Only thing I can think of is Hollywood and all the award shows they go to these days, which is something I hate to associate with U2.
  3. I think this song is fantastic. It's super fresh from them and very coastal and awesome. Makes me think of the beach and a sunset and is very poppy and great.

The song is about the first time U2 were in Los Angeles back when they were in their early 20s. You can actually read up on their experience in U2byU2.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I think this song is fantastic. It's super fresh from them and very coastal and awesome. Makes me think of the beach and a sunset and is very poppy and great.

The song is about the first time U2 were in Los Angeles back when they were in their early 20s. You can actually read up on their experience in U2byU2.

I've not ever read U2byU2. I have to get around to that one day. Thinking of the band in their early days has me appreciating the song more though.
  5. U2ByU2 is such a great read. And I'm not sure about the intro either but I do like that it sounds like a "summery" California song to me.
  6. As a native Southern Californian, I have to say that this song actually encapsulates the feeling of Southern California (feels like Santa Monica or San Diego). That being said, I really like all aspects of this song, but I can see how others might not be able to connect with it.

9/10 (because I'm Californian).
  7. Originally posted by ahn1991:As a native Southern Californian, I have to say that this song actually encapsulates the feeling of Southern California (feels like Santa Monica or San Diego). That being said, I really like all aspects of this song, but I can see how others might not be able to connect with it.

9/10 (because I'm Californian).

Agree completely, I feel like it's filler to people that haven't been to SB. It definitely reminds me of a few afternoons this summer which is great
  8. Don't like the Santa Barbara repeats at the start but this one is a grower.
  9. Still too much synth for me but I will like it live I think

10. To me it's kind of a mood setting thing.
    The song is about when they went to California early on in their career and how it inspired and affected their direction. The Santa Barbara part to me is just like the sound of bells in the beginning...it's trying to take me to the place they have in mind, the California that they visited back then. It's like a flashback to them in some van going around and hearing the beach boys on radio!
  11. wow the intro is one of the best parts of the whole record imo

12. This might sum up the entire album for me.

Not to be negative, I am enjoying the album.