1. Sod it, I'm going to give it another listen. Last full run through was 2nd December.

Edit: Ugh. Lights of Home just kicked in.
  2. Lights of Home has the opposite effect on me. Even on first listen my expectations for the album were raised significantly after hearing Lights Of Home. Combined with love is all we have left it’s the perfect way to start the album.
  3. Originally posted by iTim:Sod it, I'm going to give it another listen. Last full run through was 2nd December.

Edit: Ugh. Lights of Home just kicked in.
    My opinion of this album has changed dramatically for the better...it is quite demanding but requires long multiple listens.
  4. Still love it as much as when I heard it for the first time.
  5. So my journey with this album has been...

on first listen, that it's pretty rubbish. I did not like it all & would have made it 13 out of 14 (with SOI at 14 still my least favourite)...
    ...but then using Book of Your Heart as a bridge into the album & Lights of Home (St.Peters) I began to think 'maybe this is the best ever Passengers album, it's Passengers2 !'

...then on further inspection I began to think it's a great Bono solo slbum but then hearing a lot if great bass, drums and even some guitar it began growing on me more like...

Little Things, Love is Bigger, Landlady...13....it was beginnjng to make sense. ..Summer of Love...Love is All We Have Left...

...it struck me as a bit like the Beatles White Album (something for everyone, a rich-veined double album collection to be revisited time & time again)...

NOW... I love Songs of Experience. It is epic, a masterpiece, their deepest album, full of channels & meaning...maybe you need to be at that age (couple of years younger than them) but I get it now. It isn't perfect, far from it, Experience teaches us that life isn't perfect...but it speaks to me now.

Cannot wait to hear some of these sounds on the road.... It will be immrnse....they never let us down...This is a journey.... life is a journey, Experience teaches us that too.

I'm on-board.
  6. Originally posted by Edi:[..]
    My opinion of this album has changed dramatically for the better...it is quite demanding but requires long multiple listens.
    This

7. What's your take after a little digestion time?

I think that Love is All We Have Left is very LAMB (the producers band), and I would liked to have heard more of that. I also really wanted to hear the snippet from Edge's Fender video become a full song.

It's a very, very heavy album. I mean that in the emotional sense.
    It's definitely got 'Experience' written all over it.

Would love to see Songs of Ascent happen, though. Even an EP or 7-song album to cap this era off. God knows they've got enough material.
  8. Originally posted by Edi:So my journey with this album has been...

on first listen, that it's pretty rubbish. I did not like it all & would have made it 13 out of 14 (with SOI at 14 still my least favourite)...
    ...but then using Book of Your Heart as a bridge into the album & Lights of Home (St.Peters) I began to think 'maybe this is the best ever Passengers album, it's Passengers2 !'

...then on further inspection I began to think it's a great Bono solo slbum but then hearing a lot if great bass, drums and even some guitar it began growing on me more like...

Little Things, Love is Bigger, Landlady...13....it was beginnjng to make sense. ..Summer of Love...Love is All We Have Left...

...it struck me as a bit like the Beatles White Album (something for everyone, a rich-veined double album collection to be revisited time & time again)...

NOW... I love Songs of Experience. It is epic, a masterpiece, their deepest album, full of channels & meaning...maybe you need to be at that age (couple of years younger than them) but I get it now. It isn't perfect, far from it, Experience teaches us that life isn't perfect...but it speaks to me now.

Cannot wait to hear some of these sounds on the road.... It will be immrnse....they never let us down...This is a journey.... life is a journey, Experience teaches us that too.

I'm on-board.
    ."maybe you need to be at that age (couple of years younger than them)"

As someone who fits this description, you may be right. Never thought of that...
  9. Originally posted by Macphistfly:[..]

What's your take after a little digestion time?

I think that Love is All We Have Left is very LAMB (the producers band), and I would liked to have heard more of that. I also really wanted to hear the snippet from Edge's Fender video become a full song.

It's a very, very heavy album. I mean that in the emotional sense.
    It's definitely got 'Experience' written all over it.

Would love to see Songs of Ascent happen, though. Even an EP or 7-song album to cap this era off. God knows they've got enough material.
    I’m still relatively endeared to the record but a lot of the individual songs have fallen by the wayside (specifically Lights of Home Best Thing, American Soul which all come in a block killing the mood a little). It’s still a record that is better than the sum of its parts however I will admit to it not having got a full run through in a few weeks.
  10. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    I’m still relatively endeared to the record but a lot of the individual songs have fallen by the wayside (specifically Lights of Home Best Thing, American Soul which all come in a block killing the mood a little). It’s still a record that is better than the sum of its parts however I will admit to it not having got a full run through in a few weeks.
    The ghosts of the original 'Songs of Ascent' roam up and down this album.
    I can feel them there.

I haven't given a lot of full run-through's namely because it's just too emotionally heavy of a motherfucker.

Jesus, if Rick Rubin actually got them into shape. The amount of good shit we could get would be unreal.

I think later era U2's problem is simply this. Over-analysis.

Stop thinking, start doing. That's the mantra that should be applied but they've just grown too spectral in their approach to the work due to their mindset (mostly) but also to being very busy people.
  11. Originally posted by Macphistfly:[..]
    The ghosts of the original 'Songs of Ascent' roam up and down this album.
    I can feel them there.

I haven't given a lot of full run-through's namely because it's just too emotionally heavy of a motherfucker.

Jesus, if Rick Rubin actually got them into shape. The amount of good shit we could get would be unreal.

I think later era U2's problem is simply this. Over-analysis.

Stop thinking, start doing. That's the mantra that should be applied but they've just grown too spectral in their approach to the work due to their mindset (mostly) but also to being very busy people.
    maybe the Rick Rubin sessions were just rubbish
  12. I still think what I thought after the third listening: To me, it's a truly great record, a masterpiece, deep and personal. Love it, love it, love it. If on the next tour they would only play songs from SOI and SOE I'd be perfectly happy. Of course they won't and the concerts will be much better with a few hits and some deep cuts thrown in, but it shows how much i dig those songs.