1. Originally posted by DanialGowans:So all this talk about a nearly/completed completed Songs Of Ascent , was pretty much all bullshit from the band at the time ?

Fyi i ( used to love ) like SOE, streets ahead of SOI in my opinion!
    Anything that comes out of the band is bullshit. Unless it is being reported by U2songs, do not believe it.
  2. Originally posted by DanialGowans:So all this talk about a nearly/completed completed Songs Of Ascent , was pretty much all bullshit from the band at the time ?

Fyi i ( used to love ) like SOE, streets ahead of SOI in my opinion!

It's probably sitting in the vaults alongside several other unreleased albums whether they deem it finished and ready for release is an entirely different matter,chances are they will go back into the studio and scrap it completely and start again as it will probably sound out of date and not relevant to the current climate.
  3. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]

It's probably sitting in the vaults alongside several other unreleased albums whether they deem it finished and ready for release is an entirely different matter,chances are they will go back into the studio and scrap it completely and start again as it will probably sound out of date and not relevant to the current climate.
    But that's a real problem that I personally understand. There's a chance that the band revisitis SOA when they get in the studio together and they won't feel comfortable releasing material that originated from a pre-pandemic world. I guess SOA is an atmospheric album, with a spiritual feel to it. Bono stated that "It's about forever. That's the subject. They're 15 psalms." He also said it's a beautiful, ecstatic album. So, in a way, I have a feeling SOA's music fits the new - normal we're all experiencing after the pandemic hit. I think it's best if they don't overthink it and keep most of SOA as it already is and just add a new song or some new lyrics that actually do make sense for these times without scrapping it all completely. But, let's be fair: for us it's cool to just hear SOA the way it originally started out, but the band has got a very valid point if they feel like the songs just don't match the intensity, uncertainty and the troubles of today's world. Pre-pandemic SOA's psalms might be exactly what we need, but knowing U2, they are more than capable of releasing an EP / album with only pandemic related songs and lyrics.
  4. 4 years now and still not growing to me. I sometimes wish SOE give me as much joy as it does to others, but it doesn't. I still listen to it every now and then, but maybe it's time to stop and only pick Little Things and Blackout.

I wish everyone who does like this album a happy anniversary
  5. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:4 years now and still not growing to me. I sometimes wish SOE give me as much joy as it does to others, but it doesn't. I still listen to it every now and then, but maybe it's time to stop and only pick Little Things and Blackout.

I wish everyone who does like this album a happy anniversary
    There's some good songs, but I think it's less cohesive than SOE.

I like the St Peter version of LOH. I also enjoy the acoustic version of Best Thing. Little things is a modern day Mercy, but poppier and overall much better, I think.

SOL is a nice song, and so is Landlady.

Blackout was a good opener.

That's what's left for me after 4 years. I was initially enthusiastic about it.
  6. 4 years on, SOE has finally settled down as their worst album ever for me. It's not a bad album perse and some of its songs are really great... It's just that there isn't any other album where I feel the urge to skip that many songs. Sad.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:4 years on, SOE has finally settled down as their worst album ever for me. It's not a bad album perse and some of its songs are really great... It's just that there isn't any other album where I feel the urge to skip that many songs. Sad.
    We're on the same page, sadly.

I can still listen to all of SOI. It's not perfect, but I think it's an impressive piece of work. Provided we swap the original overproduced California with the acoustic one. Not to mention the very good B-sides/bonus tracks!

No Line has many flaws, but there's also a fundamental honesty about it, and that TUF vibe.

October has a great first side + Tomorrow (I like the later recording best) & the title track + they were 20 something, with tons of energy.

So yes, sadly. SOE may be their worst album to date.
  8. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

I can still listen to all of SOI. It's not perfect, but I think it's an impressive piece of work. Provided we swap the original overproduced California with the acoustic one. Not to mention the very good B-sides/bonus tracks!

No Line has many flaws, but there's also a fundamental honesty about it, and that TUF vibe.

October has a great first side + Tomorrow (I like the later recording best) & the title track + they were 20 something, with tons of energy.

YES to everything
  9. i've listen to it a few days before... SOE to me sounds MUCH better than NLOTH and SOI, easily their best album since HTDAAB.

i'm keep listen to LIAWHL, LOH, YTBTAM, AS, RFD, landlady & the blackout and to me, leaves nothing to be desired compared with another songs from previous albums
  10. Originally posted by JuJuman:[..]

1000% agree.
  11. There's decent songs on it but nothing that sticks really for me. Only song I get back to is Summer Of Love (which is more a OneRepublic song than a U2 song )
  12. Originally posted by melon51:There's decent songs on it but nothing that sticks really for me. Only song I get back to is Summer Of Love (which is more a OneRepublic song than a U2 song )
    Song was called 'West Coast':