1. I liked both DVDs released during the Vertigo Tour, but that's getting a bit off-topic.

I'd like to see Bullet come back, but only if Bono has something he can passionately rant about like gun violence during Elevation. The snippets from the Vertigo tour were really nice, but I think angry ranting fits better with This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.
  2. Originally posted by EDDMB:[..]

I enjoyed the Vertigo tour , much more then 360 . IMO , the best thing about the Vertigo tour was the encores and the classics off Boy .

For the first time in ages , there wasn't a "set encore" . Or a set opener. The band actually had me guessing as to what songs would be played . This makes me appreciate a band like Pearl Jam all the more.

Bullet was similar in 2005 , to the 2001 version . The problem for me , was it seemed to lack the fierce passion of the Elevation versions .

I might be wrong , but I believe 2005 is the only tour year the the band rotated 3 different opening tunes ...Vertigo , COBL and Love & Peace . L&P should have been used more often , love that tune.

The Vertigo tour was solid , I hope their next tour resembles a more "stripped down" show , ala Vertigo/Elevation tours .

Also , go back to playing arenas , like Madison Square Garden !!!

Just for the record: The Joshua Tree and Lovetown had more openers (Streets, Bullet, Hawkmoon, the odd Stand By Me or C'mon Everybody, God Part II), but I agree that the opening rotation for the Vertigo Tour was great.

And since we're getting a bit offtopic now, back to Bullet: I can't help agreeing with those who say that it lost strength and anger on 2005&6. Edge's solo developed finely and I personally like it better than the Elevation and Popmart solos, BUT a song is a whole song and not just a guitar solo. Bullet+RTST or Bullet+Miss Sarajevo became just a passing formality between the great LAPOE & SBS combo and the Pride / Streets / One end of the set.
  3. Getting back off topic (sorry) but I thought Miss Sarajevo was the best part of the Vertigo show I attended - aside from Streets, of course.

Bullet was a bit of a let down for me on that evening.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Just for the record: The Joshua Tree and Lovetown had more openers (Streets, Bullet, Hawkmoon, the odd Stand By Me or C'mon Everybody, God Part II), but I agree that the opening rotation for the Vertigo Tour was great.

And since we're getting a bit offtopic now, back to Bullet: I can't help agreeing with those who say that it lost strength and anger on 2005&6. Edge's solo developed finely and I personally like it better than the Elevation and Popmart solos, BUT a song is a whole song and not just a guitar solo. Bullet+RTST or Bullet+Miss Sarajevo became just a passing formality between the great LAPOE & SBS combo and the Pride / Streets / One end of the set.

Ah yes Lovetown , I always forget tour , it never made sense to me , as it was a full year after R & H was released and it was so short , like todays Pearl Jam tours lol .

I was quite pissed that they blew off America and I had to wait a full 5 years from JT ending in '87 , until the spring of '92 to see them again .
  5. Originally posted by RUMMY:Getting back off topic (sorry) but I thought Miss Sarajevo was the best part of the Vertigo show I attended - aside from Streets, of course.

Bullet was a bit of a let down for me on that evening.

Sarajevo was great in '05 I agree , I couldn't believe Bono pulled it off .
  6. Originally posted by EDDMB:[..]

Ah yes Lovetown , I always forget tour , it never made sense to me , as it was a full year after R & H was released and it was so short , like todays Pearl Jam tours lol .

I was quite pissed that they blew off America and I had to wait a full 5 years from JT ending in '87 , until the spring of '92 to see them again .

Well, I guess we'll have had to wait only FOUR years this time around.

Come to think of it, we waited four years between Vertigo and 360...and four years between Elevation and Vertigo....and four years between Pop and Elevation...and, I'm seeing a pattern here, four years between ZooTV and Pop - unless you're North American and then it was FIVE years!

Good night.

7. The Milano performance encapsulates the heart of the song so well. And Bono was a god for pulling off Pavarotti's part.
  8. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]

Well, I guess we'll have had to wait only FOUR years this time around.

Come to think of it, we waited four years between Vertigo and 360...and four years between Elevation and Vertigo....and four years between Pop and Elevation...and, I'm seeing a pattern here, four years between ZooTV and Pop - unless you're North American and then it was FIVE years!

Good night.

All true , but this was not the case in the 80s . I saw the band 5 times in 1985 , once in 1986 (Amnesty) and 10 times in 1987 . I was spoiled I guess and figured this trend would continue once R&H was released in the fall of 1988 .

I never imagined after that I would have to wait 5 longs years to see them again . Unfortunately this has been the case since 1992 . My # of gigs would be double then it is .

Back on topic , BTBS from Cleveland (05.03.01) is really fantastic , with Bowie's Young Americas snippet fitting in nicely . This show is a soundboard rip and deserves a listen , if your in the mood for an early Elevation gig .
  9. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

The Milano performance encapsulates the heart of the song so well. And Bono was a god for pulling off Pavarotti's part.

Agreed . The Milano show(s) 07.20,21.05 should have been a full release , as most U2 (and Pearl Jam) shows in Milan are simply fantastic . The crowd there (IMO) are the best in the world .

07.07.09 Milan is easily my favorite 360 show.
  10. On topic, but also sort of off topic... Follow the evolution up to Bullet:

*Guitar: War's Surrender (2:30-3.00, 5:00-fade - btw, the intro to Surrender is the origin of the intro to Pride!)

*Drums and guitar: The Unforgettable Fire demo Untitled Instrumental

*Bass and verse melody: The Joshua Tree demo Tell Them The Story (0:19-0:43)
  11. Originally posted by Hole:On topic, but also sort of off topic... Follow the evolution up to Bullet:

*Guitar: War's Surrender (2:30-3.00, 5:00-fade - btw, the intro to Surrender is the origin of the intro to Pride!)

*Drums and guitar: The Unforgettable Fire demo Untitled Instrumental [YouTube Video]

*Bass and verse melody: The Joshua Tree demo Tell Them The Story (0:19-0:43) [YouTube Video]
    Really interesting!

@melon51 one for you
  12. The Jacknife Lee remix is shit hot.