1. imho, u2met86 started the thread very positively, and only towards the end he started to sound ungrateful.

I think it's just that it's hard to understand the reasoning behind don't wanting the files to be uploaded in mp3.
    I'm really thankful that there's people out there taping and editing and sharing the shows. And if they don't want those shows to be uploaded in lossy format, so be it. And if they want all their shows to be uploaded with all the tracks tagged as "aslkdfjalñsdjf___1", so be it. If they demand all their tracks to be uploaded with a pic of a baby crying as image, so be it. I really don't care. It's their work and their prerogative to do whatever they want with those tracks.

But I'd agree that those rules seem to be arbitrary.
    The "no convert them to lossy" seems to be a rule that made perfect sense a few years ago, but clearly seems outdated today.
    I'd think that something like "you can upload it in lossy format as long as it's specified that it's not the original AND that the original lossless is clearly available next to the lossy one" probably should be good enough (no loss on the original file which always will be available and a disclaimer on the lossy version so the taper can be thanked but not "blamed" for the recording quality), but like I said, whatever the tapers want is good. I won't tape myself and I prefer to convert whatever than to not even having the option to do so.
  2. Julien--maybe future recordings should be released in lossy mp3 only
  3. I’ll never really get the point of ’the trouble’ downloading big files. Hit a button and wait. Why bother whether it takes 2 seconds or 30 minutes or the whole day? If it takes a while, just do the dishes or get some nice breakfast in the meanwhile.
    Someone above wrote about the early 2000s, when it took 30 hours to get a show of a ftp server, mp3s one at a time. I remember that so lively and well it was frustrating but funny at the same time.
    The patience and love you had to get what you wanted to hear so badly… It’s a sad thing to see the more and the faster free music is, the more demanding people get. Just don’t be spoiled, you’ll be much happier.
    Oh, well, the ‘needless’ argument. I think it would be fair if the givers judge what’s needed, not the takers.
  4. Originally posted by noiseless:I’ll never really get the point of ’the trouble’ downloading big files. Hit a button and wait. Why bother whether it takes 2 seconds or 30 minutes or the whole day? If it takes a while, just do the dishes or get some nice breakfast in the meanwhile.
    Someone above wrote about the early 2000s, when it took 30 hours to get a show of a ftp server, mp3s one at a time. I remember that so lively and well it was frustrating but funny at the same time.
    The patience and love you had to get what you wanted to hear so badly… It’s a sad thing to see the more and the faster free music is, the more demanding people get. Just don’t be spoiled, you’ll be much happier.
    Oh, well, the ‘needless’ argument. I think it would be fair if the givers judge what’s needed, not the takers.
    +1
  5. Originally posted by noiseless:[...] Someone above wrote about the early 2000s, when it took 30 hours to get a show of a ftp server, mp3s one at a time. [...]
    LOL! Been there too... The site was called "Under A Blood Red Sky."
    Coming from the chromedioxide tape-age that was the 90-ies, it was sheer magic

So here too is a big non-understanding of someone complaing about the 30 minutes "5-10 minutes" it
    takes to convert lossless flac files into lossy mp3's

At this point it probably doesn't help when I'm also listing the benefits of converting, tagging, etc.
    yourself (according to ones own preferences).
    Instead, I think you better ask someone to do it for you...

Who is "us"? Is there any support for the 95% claim? Because it means that of the 20 people downloading,
    only 1 keeps the lossless files. Seriously, I'm waisting my time here...
  6. Personally, I don't keep the lossless files once I've converted them. Granted, I have like 16+ gigs of U2 bootlegs in MP3 format, so imagine that in FLACs.
  7. Only 16?
  8. I've mostly got bootlegs from Elevation and onward, with the exception of a few notable bootlegs from previous tours. Their previous shows didn't interest me for a while, but I think I'm starting to appreciate a lot of their older material, especially after they played When Love Comes To Town. When this tour winds down, I'll start collecting their older stuff, but for IE, I'm hoping to download one bootleg from every night. The recording quality has been so good that this is really the best time to be a bootleg collector.
  9. But yes, only 16 gigs...
  10. I'm just kidding Alex!
  11. I'm thinking I should get an external drive dedicated exclusively for bootlegs. It's certainly better than keeping them all on my hard drive
  12. I had over 500 GB in FLAC until recently.