Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. To those people calling the JT2017 a "nostalgic" tour, I just want to say this:

Sticking that "nostalgia" label is so cheap.
    Why? Because good music has this quality of timeless-ness.
    It's just this whole idea of post-modernism that everything is supposed to be contextual, no matter what.
    It's the lie that the markets have embraced in order to sell the same product over and over again just by making
    it "New" and "Even Better Than Before." With this logic an iPhone 6 is nostalgia in 2017.
    Not the best is good enough, only the newest is good enough...

Would one say that Classical music is nostalgic? Only if you don't know what you are talking about!
    The postmodern critique here is to say that all performances of Classical music are anachronistic - which only raises the question if postmodernism itself isn't anything else than exaggerated anachronism...

But back to the matter at hand: nostalgia is a sentiment (see that wiki page for excellent references!). An emotion.
    Now, do things have emotions? No! - People have emotions.
    Is the JT2017 tour a thing or person?
    Right, only the performers and the audience are peoples!
    If there is any sentiment - including nostalgia - it must be either with the audience, or the performers.

And now we can go somewhere:
    - some people will attend the JT2017 because of nostalgic sentiments. (true)
    - most people attending the JT2017 have never seen the original JT tour. Do they come for nostalgic reasons?
    Some, perhaps. Others not...perhaps. (true)
    - Does U2 perform The Joshua Tree for nostalgic reasons? Ah! That's the big question. Answer: Only is it is not,
    a) to mask the delay with SOE
    b) for the money
    c) to revisit and to revitalize an important work in their career (= sort of anti postmodernism, think about it: recycling, sustainability...)

So, that is just what I wanted to say about the "nostalgia" argument.
    Indeed, the JT2017 tour is not about being "New" and "Even Better Than Before."
    Rather, I think, it is about things like "sustainability" and old stuff that is still useful - or can be made useful with some slight modifications
    (OK, there you go, a little postmodernism after all )
  2. Beautiful Day should open the encore.
  3. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    To those people calling the JT2017 a "nostalgic" tour, I just want to say this:

Sticking that "nostalgia" label is so cheap.
    Why? Because good music has this quality of timeless-ness.
    It's just this whole idea of post-modernism that everything is supposed to be contextual, no matter what.
    It's the lie that the markets have embraced in order to sell the same product over and over again just by making
    it "New" and "Even Better Than Before." With this logic an iPhone 6 is nostalgia in 2017.
    Not the best is good enough, only the newest is good enough...

Would one say that Classical music is nostalgic? Only if you don't know what you are talking about!
    The postmodern critique here is to say that all performances of Classical music are anachronistic - which only raises the question if postmodernism itself isn't anything else than exaggerated anachronism...

But back to the matter at hand: nostalgia is a sentiment (see that wiki page for excellent references!). An emotion.
    Now, do things have emotions? No! - People have emotions.
    Is the JT2017 tour a thing or person?
    Right, only the performers and the audience are peoples!
    If there is any sentiment - including nostalgia - it must be either with the audience, or the performers.

And now we can go somewhere:
    - some people will attend the JT2017 because of nostalgic sentiments. (true)
    - most people attending the JT2017 have never seen the original JT tour. Do they come for nostalgic reasons?
    Some, perhaps. Others not...perhaps. (true)
    - Does U2 perform The Joshua Tree for nostalgic reasons? Ah! That's the big question. Answer: Only is it is not,
    a) to mask the delay with SOE
    b) for the money
    c) to revisit and to revitalize an important work in their career (= sort of anti postmodernism, think about it: recycling, sustainability...)

So, that is just what I wanted to say about the "nostalgia" argument.
    Indeed, the JT2017 tour is not about being "New" and "Even Better Than Before."
    Rather, I think, it is about things like "sustainability" and old stuff that is still useful - or can be made useful with some slight modifications
    (OK, there you go, a little postmodernism after all )
    A combo of A and B.....
  4. has anyone seen U2s plane this tour
  5. Originally posted by ahn1991:It's no different than closing with Moment of Surrender and people bitched about it just as much then as they are now.

I don't remember people bitching about MOS - and if so, nothing close to this level. I totally agree the key difference is they are closing with a song nobody knows...it is unreleased. MOS was on the album the 360 tour was supporting...makes total sense. Here...to close a show? No sense.

Though interesting you saw it live and the Rose Bowl crowd greeted it ecstatically - all I can say is the Seattle and Santa Clara reception was not that way at all. And getting to see IWF versus Little Things close two different shows was like night and day...IWF tore the roof off, Little Things had people politely applaud then shuffle to the exits.
  6. Originally posted by robotsandmonkeys:[..]

I don't remember people bitching about MOS - and if so, nothing close to this level. I totally agree the key difference is they are closing with a song nobody knows...it is unreleased. MOS was on the album the 360 tour was supporting...makes total sense. Here...to close a show? No sense.

Though interesting you saw it live and the Rose Bowl crowd greeted it ecstatically - all I can say is the Seattle and Santa Clara reception was not that way at all. And getting to see IWF versus Little Things close two different shows was like night and day...IWF tore the roof off, Little Things had people politely applaud then shuffle to the exits.
    It's sort of a crazy argument though because the songs been televised now, it's been generally well received but we're saying we'll if it closes the next tour after it's released that makes it acceptable as a closer but not now.
  7. MOS as a closer was epic!
    My second favorite closer as a matter of fact, after Love is Blindness.
  8. I'll tell you what was one hell of an opener- Breathe
  9. Just joining this discussion now, but I definitely had money on U2 closing with 40 for this tour. I Will Follow was good for Toronto though, but it seemed spontaneous. One would've been a bit of a whimper finish as opposed to what we got, a firecracker.
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:Just joining this discussion now, but I definitely had money on U2 closing with 40 for this tour. I Will Follow was good for Toronto though, but it seemed spontaneous. One would've been a bit of a whimper finish as opposed to what we got, a firecracker.
    I think they will play it this tour, maybe in Europe, maybe just on the last day like on 360, but they are going to play it.