2017-05-12 - Vancouver
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 6
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    Didn't mean any offense. I'm 5'8" also and never have a problem. The magic of U2 GA is you can move about freely on the floor ad find the perfect spot.

I'm not sure what you mean about floor getting more expensive. All the tickets do. And you can still buy 4 floor seats for the of 2 (or in some cases 1) seated ticket!
    by the floor getting more expensive, I mean it is no longer priced so low that I can take the chance of not seeing. Used to be floor GA, before record sales stopped and bands depended on concert revenue and swag almost solely, was super cheap and you could either get a magical experience or blocked at every turn, like I was at Vertigo Phoenix. Now, with ticket prices (all) being so high, I feel less inclined to gamble on the floor.

No offense taken at all, though. We all have our own comfort zones...
  2. Originally posted by Caledonia:[..]
    For me, I have always seen that album as a sort of accompaniment to Achtung Baby and Zoo TV (much like R&H is to TJT)- even though it is a fully-fledged album in it's own right of course, its always felt like an extension of all that to me, and a good opportunity for the band to do some envelope-pushing and try a few things that they might otherwise be a bit apprehensive about (i.e. if it was done as a major new release after they'd been away for a few years).

Totally agree with this...Zooropa was, to me, the overreaching songs from AB. To some, that makes them fantastic. It was such a quick companion that I never felt like I was shorted on an album cycle.
  3. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    Didn't mean any offense. I'm 5'8" also and never have a problem. The magic of U2 GA is you can move about freely on the floor ad find the perfect spot.

I'm not sure what you mean about floor getting more expensive. All the tickets do. And you can still buy 4 floor seats for the of 2 (or in some cases 1) seated ticket!
    I'm in the 5'8'' club also, though officially 5'7'' lol. Every inch counts I hear lol.

GA can be good like that, unless you're packed in like sardines (or don't get in the penned off GA area). Rotterdam #2 1997 I ended up with probably the tallest person in Netherlands stood right in front of me somewhere near the b-stage, he must have been 7ft tall i swear, he came out of nowhere too, I couldn't see a thing and there was no room to manoeuvre - and travelled overseas for that one. Not the most enjoyable gig ever! But he couldn't help being tall, so no ill feelings. Much. lol
  4. Originally posted by dougman23:[..]
    by the floor getting more expensive, I mean it is no longer priced so low that I can take the chance of not seeing. Used to be floor GA, before record sales stopped and bands depended on concert revenue and swag almost solely, was super cheap and you could either get a magical experience or blocked at every turn, like I was at Vertigo Phoenix. Now, with ticket prices (all) being so high, I feel less inclined to gamble on the floor.

No offense taken at all, though. We all have our own comfort zones...
  5. Just went by BC Place, more trucks have arrived and there were a lot more crew members around. Still looks like only the shell of the stage is up.

6. This is probably true to a large extent, but I will say I enjoyed my experience in the seats as much as I would have in GA, at least in the context of IE where I did seats and GA.
  7. Originally posted by dougman23:It's a show for both, but a show that is, by nature, more geared to the diehards just in the fact that they are playing a 2nd side (remember those?) of songs that they would NEVER play in another circumstance. The casuals might be "Wooo...Joshua Tree. Remember that night at Jenny's house? I love that album", but they are really talking about the big 3 songs. They will be a bit confused when One Tree Hill kicks in. But they are also used to that "huh?" feeling at every show they go to because they always only know the hits.

I am in a small, small minority of U2 die hards I guess in that I don't like Zooropa at all. I feel like it was a bad B side throwaway, so there is my Bono breaking wind example. I loved AB, and I loved Pop. But Zooropa was the equivalent of the band breaking wind to me. To each their own...

Regarding the balance between casual and diehard fans, I don't think it's rocket science: they can play the hits as long as there are 2 slots for variation and to appeal to the die-hard fans.
    That's something the band does very well at a certain point in their tours. By the 3rd leg of Vertigo they were playing Crumbs/Fast Cars/Instant Karma/Walk On; at the beginning of the I+E tour we had WLCTT, California, Volcano, Crystal Ballroom, Lucifer's Hands, Troubles, Miracle Drug, etc.
    But then at some point they start to add more and more hits and the variation gets replaced with the usual Desires, Angel of Harlems, Elevations, etc.
    So the setlist we will get in Vancouver may be very different than the shows in Europe. Even the promise of a full JT may not survive the entire tour.
  8. Not to worry. Europe still has time to get itself into as much political trouble as the US, so they'll be a different version of Bullet performed, guaranteed.
  9. I have to believe the full Joshua Tree will last as long as the JT30 shows last. There's a real edge there of bait and switch that I don't think they will cross. When certain expectations have been changed, or implications of rarities turned into more standard set lists, that was one thing. But to put forth a tour advertised as the 30th anniversary of the album, and for tickets to go on sale when the members of the band have indicated a full album...I think even if they wanted to drop songs, they would be advised against it.
  10. At this point I think we'll be getting the full Joshua Tree album. People will point to IE as the tour of broken promises, but it's important to remember that the whole idea of two totally different nights was scrapped well before the tour even started.
  11. Originally posted by dougman23:I have to believe the full Joshua Tree will last as long as the JT30 shows last. There's a real edge there of bait and switch that I don't think they will cross. When certain expectations have been changed, or implications of rarities turned into more standard set lists, that was one thing. But to put forth a tour advertised as the 30th anniversary of the album, and for tickets to go on sale when the members of the band have indicated a full album...I think even if they wanted to drop songs, they would be advised against it.
    I agree with you about all 11 JT songs needing to stick around but regarding the old "bait and switch," well we've seen that from the band as recently as the last tour.

They'd better not do it again!
  12. Originally posted by ahn1991:At this point I think we'll be getting the full Joshua Tree album. People will point to IE as the tour of broken promises, but it's important to remember that the whole idea of two totally different nights was scrapped well before the tour even started.
    Ah, you beat me to it! :-)