2017-05-12 - Vancouver
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 6
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by peacetreaty93:Did anyone use the "paperless tickets" that Ticketmaster was selling during the fan pre-sales in North Americas?

Was this the reason it took a long time to get people into the venue?
    Quite a few people used the credit card entry, the venue is saying that's why it took so long to get people in but ultimately it was because of under staffing and the GA lines were poorly managed.

2. Although Ultraviolet was incredible on Friday in Vancouver, Bono was perfect!
  3. I was taking it for granted but now I'm not so sure. We'll see when they hit Los Angeles. That's the first city with 2 shows and they must rotate whatever they have ready to rotate... Intriguing times these.
  4. Added Sil Rigote's mixlr in the first post of this thread.
  5. Originally posted by Henderson7:[..]
    Quite a few people used the credit card entry, the venue is saying that's why it took so long to get people in but ultimately it was because of under staffing and the GA lines were poorly managed.
    Poorly managed is an understatement. From our position in line we didn't see a single staff member until 830pm near the stairs by the cargo entrance. We were about mid point in line on some street where we couldn't even see the venue. I think it shows what an incredible group of fans we are that we all stated in line with no cutting. It was incredibly self organized by all and I'm thankful for that. I knew that U2 would wait for everyone to get in, so as long as everyone kept their place and cooperated we'd be good. I only saw 1 person get mad at a security officer which was unfortunate. He had absolutely nothing to do with the mess up.

6. Sounded to me like he changed the lyric (probably just a screw-up, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt): 'sometimes I feel like I don't know, sometimes I feel like betting hard'... not that that lyric needed alteration...
  7. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]

Sounded to me like he changed the lyric (probably just a screw-up, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt): 'sometimes I feel like I don't know, sometimes I feel like betting hard'... not that that lyric needed alteration...
    I think he simply forgot about what was next, just like in One Tree Hill.
  8. Originally posted by sonichka:[..]
    Poorly managed is an understatement. From our position in line we didn't see a single staff member until 830pm near the stairs by the cargo entrance. We were about mid point in line on some street where we couldn't even see the venue. I think it shows what an incredible group of fans we are that we all stated in line with no cutting. It was incredibly self organized by all and I'm thankful for that. I knew that U2 would wait for everyone to get in, so as long as everyone kept their place and cooperated we'd be good. I only saw 1 person get mad at a security officer which was unfortunate. He had absolutely nothing to do with the mess up.
    Thankfully U2 fans were very mature and understanding. Other crowd and we could have a riot.
  9. Originally posted by wire2k:

At the end of the day, a boisterous, loud audience gives a band that energy boost to make a great show a night to remember.

Completely agree. This was for me the worst U2 show I've been too. It was my first U2 GA experience and it couldn't have been worse. I was hoping for that GA energy and comraderie but it wasn't there. Obviously the line up issues took a huge toll on everyone. Had we been there from the start, during the opener and for those anxious 30 mins before U2 usually takes the stage it would have been different, but I was one of thousands who squeaked in finally at 9pm with just enough time to use the bathroom and find a spot. It just didn't feel like a U2 gig by that time anyone. The crowd around me was pretty tame. Overall a huge disappointment. Plus I felt the encore set was a real downer which kept getting lower and lower. I was really surprised they didn't come out for a second encore with something the crowd knew. Although, I can understand how they'd want to bring the show back around to the present and lead us into the new album, it didn't feel like the proper closer. At the end of the day, the line up fiasco and all the great puns that transpired throughout Mumford and Sons set ("I will wait I will wait for you" followed by "I really fucked it up this time") will be more remembered than the show. Lol
  10. Originally posted by wire2k:I'm not one to post all that much if at all over the many many years of being a fan, but with all the comments about the opening night, I feel that all the comments around the internet are about how the band giving a lackluster performance. But what about the crowd? I've always felt that a band or any performer rather, feeds off the crowd and gives back a little more. For me, it's also the crowd in attendance that makes a show great. In my personal experience, I find a lackluster crowd = band just going through the motions and not giving it their all.

I was not in attendance for this though but I have been to over at least 50 U2 shows so I guess...I don't know... It's all coming from the fact that it's been bothering me for some time now, to see such a large number of people in attendance watching the shows through their phones these days or worse...sitting down. I for one never pull out my phone during a gig and jump, sing and let it all out. I guess times have changed and even bands these days make comments about the sea of phones out in the audience. I think even Bono on 1 of the IE nights in Montreal, told a fan who was brought up on stage to live the moment and not photogragh it. I even recently went to a Green Day show and Armstrong even told a fan "If you are looking through your phone, then you aren't looking at me"

Don't get me wrong, from the bottom of my heart I am truly truly greatful to all the tapers and filmers over the many tours. It has brought me great joy to have such a large collection of audio shows. It's just something I had to get off my chest that's been bottled up for a few years.

At the end of the day, a boisterous, loud audience gives a band that energy boost to make a great show a night to remember.

You are spot on with this.

And one more thing, what the band tried to explain on the Vertigo DVD, as I see it. Must be a little boring for them...