2017-09-22 - San Diego
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 2
  1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It does sound like the solution is to make the check ins official and times sent out in emails. I don't think this will significantly increase the number of people queuing but gives people who want to a fair chance and then people turning up early on the day should at least know they won't be at the front of the queue. I still don't necessarily think it's the best idea but the easiest to implement and give people a fair chance.
    Yep. That will certainly help.

(or just have a lottery system..)
  2. But what about the fan that lives in a different city and travels let's say the night before for the concert.

I think they need a fair system that they can be a part of.
  3. Originally posted by cookoman:Gotta admit that the ’line’ sounds very confusing and potentially very unfair to a fan who just wants to get to the venue very very early on concert day.

I’d be a bit upset if 200 people arrived after me and told me that a fan website had a check in system going that some security guard said was fine.
    Originally posted by Remy:
    There's already 400 in the 'virtual' line so imagine if you show up at 5am today and you see no one, yet there's 400 in front of you. This sometimes happens and it sometimes does happen as well that people get very upset.

Exactly my point, what I was saying yesterday:
    Originally posted by LikeASong:(..)that's not really "queuing" anymore. It's like a competition of remembering to show up every X hours. Like a easy videogame: if you fail a checkpoint you're off, otherwise it's a piece of cake. I'm fine with that but it's unfair for people who don't know the system and are left out.

Moreover, who is exactly entitled to do this? Who is the boss and which rights does he/she have to order people, deny access, grant access, etc? I know some GA lines have worked together with venue's MGMT and security and I'm fine with that. But totally fan-made queues and ordering systems are plain unfair towards people who don't know how they work. You don't have to be on twitter/facebook to know how and where to queue. I know it's very politically incorrect to say this, but I'm glad that some venues showed a big middle finger to that and refused to honour these GA lines. FIrst come first served, that's how it always worked. Anything else will be unfair for some (or many).
  4. Originally posted by cookoman:But what about the fan that lives in a different city and travels let's say the night before for the concert.

I think they need a fair system that they can be a part of.
    Maybe the first check in and perhaps only check in post actual queue should be the night before at around 8pm. That way even people traveling get a fair shot.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    [..]

[..]

Moreover, who is exactly entitled to do this? Who is the boss and which rights does he/she have to order people, deny access, grant access, etc? I know some GA lines have worked together with venue's MGMT and security and I'm fine with that. But totally fan-made queues and ordering systems are plain unfair towards people who don't know how they work. You don't have to be on twitter/facebook to know how and where to queue. I know it's very politically incorrect to say this, but I'm glad that some venues showed a big middle finger to that and refused to honour these GA lines. FIrst come first served, that's how it always worked. Anything else will be unfair for some (or many).
    From my understanding (from people I know associated with venues) is that even those venues that have made arrangement do not consider them official. They consider it free help and as long as it goes smooth and nobody complains, they are pleased as punch to let it be. If they start getting complaints, they'll intervene and do it their way. That's why I'm curious who these leaders are and who appoints them.

"Make U2 Lines Great Again"
  6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    From my understanding (from people I know associated with venues) is that even those venues that have made arrangement do not consider them official. They consider it free help and as long as it goes smooth and nobody complains, they are pleased as punch to let it be. If they start getting complaints, they'll intervene and do it their way. That's why I'm curious who these leaders are and who appoints them.

"Make U2 Lines Great Again"
    It's very possible there isn't many complaints because 99% of the people who queue first thing in the morning probably are part of this system and the 1% who don't have a number but have managed to get there at the same time or earlier don't want to make a fuss and probably feel outnumbered. That's my guess anyway as I imagine if people are that desperate to get a good space they will fall in line with this system.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    [..]

[..]

That's the point I was making when I got called out for my archaic "back in the day" ways. You formed a line. You stayed in line. Whoever was first was first. And usually there were no issues with this unwritten etiquette.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It's very possible there isn't many complaints because 99% of the people who queue first thing in the morning probably are part of this system and the 1% who don't have a number but have managed to get there at the same time or earlier don't want to make a fuss and probably feel outnumbered. That's my guess anyway as I imagine if people are that desperate to get a good space they will fall in line with this system.
    My guess is people that show up an hour before gates open don't care anyway because 200-300 people in front of them in a stadium show don't make that big an impact on floor location.

Think about it. picture if they all line up along the front of the stage and around the big stage. Would 200-300 people even make it all the way across the length of the stage?
  9. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    That's the point I was making when I got called out for my archaic "back in the day" ways. You formed a line. You stayed in line. Whoever was first was first. And usually there were no issues with this unwritten etiquette.
    But that was tough. That was hard. That was phisically demanding.

And nowadays we usually get away from these three things asap.
  10. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    My guess is people that show up an hour before gates open don't care anyway because 200-300 people in front of them in a stadium show don't make that big an impact on floor location.

Think about it. picture if they all line up along the front of the stage and around the big stage. Would 200-300 people even make it all the way across the length of the stage?
    Yeah if people don't get too worked up about principle which to be fair they might be entitled to then they would possibly be not bothered about giving up there place. As you say 200-300 people probably wouldn't cover the length of the stage and the chances are you'll get people with different ideas of what the best spot is leaving plenty of room all round. Me, I'll stick to showing up roughly when gates open, well actually I was a bit later than that last time but that's because I was enjoying my pints too much, missed the start of Noel but still got a great spot.
  11. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

If everybody spread along the whole maing stage + catwalk + T stage equally then probably not, but the thing is that the tree and central part of the main stage get crowded quicker than the middle catwalk and Adam's part of the main stage.
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    But that was tough. That was hard. That was phisically demanding.

And nowadays we usually get away from these three things asap.
    Had to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty.