U2:UV Achtung Baby at the Sphere
Legs (1): 2023-2024
Shows: 40
Tickets:
  1. That does look like a screensaver in fairness
  2. Looks like time constraints hit them pretty hard.
  3. Give me different sets and mid visuals any day over the same set every night. And agin, I hate phishs music.
  4. This is a pretty interesting write-up for anyone who's interested in this topic: https://www.theverge.com/24134861/phish-sphere-las-vegas-moment-factory-interview

It does seem that there have been a few more elaborate visual pieces, but then they do explain in the article that the Winamp visualization approach was to some extent what they were going for because of the character of Phish's performances.
  5. The sphere is more suited to artists that are current. That’s when you’ll see it reach its potential. Not when a couple of bands who aren’t far of getting their pension play it. I love u2 and will see them the next time they’re in the country, and i’m looking forward to new material but they are well past their prime. They can’t do a lot of the hits justice anymore. They couldn’t compete with the sphere. Once a big modern artist plays it and has new songs that gets their fans more excited than the excitement of seeing the venue itself, then they’ll be on to a winner.
  6. Originally posted by tuf392664:The sphere is more suited to artists that are current. That’s when you’ll see it reach its potential. Not when a couple of bands who aren’t far of getting their pension play it. I love u2 and will see them the next time they’re in the country, and i’m looking forward to new material but they are well past their prime. They can’t do a lot of the hits justice anymore. They couldn’t compete with the sphere. Once a big modern artist plays it and has new songs that gets their fans more excited than the excitement of seeing the venue itself, then they’ll be on to a winner.
    There aren't many "modern artists" that could pull off a residency at the Sphere you gotta factor in the age demographic of their audience who are probably in school/college and don't have a lot of cash to travel to Vegas and pay the huge cost for tickets, accommodation etc , the organisers obviously thought this when booking U2 ,Phish, Dead and Company as their audience are a lot older and would have more disposable income ,I reckon they could struggle to get some "relevant artists" that could do 20 + gigs there while keeping the ticket prices at a level their fanbase could afford.
  7. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    There aren't many "modern artists" that could pull off a residency at the Sphere you gotta factor in the age demographic of their audience who are probably in school/college and don't have a lot of cash to travel to Vegas and pay the huge cost for tickets, accommodation etc , the organisers obviously thought this when booking U2 ,Phish, Dead and Company as their audience are a lot older and would have more disposable income ,I reckon they could struggle to get some "relevant artists" that could do 20 + gigs there while keeping the ticket prices at a level their fanbase could afford.
    Have you seen how much Taylor swift fans are paying for a ticket to see her?
  8. Not to the Sphere and Las Vegas there not.
  9. Taylor swift could sell out 100 hundred shows at the sphere easily. If fans will pay such vast sums just for a regular ticket they’ll certainly travel to vegas to see her. Mums and dads would be travelling with their daughters without giving it a second thought.
  10. I’ve seen plenty of posts online criticising the choice of artists for Sphere but they rarely put forward their alternative. One person I challenged suggested Metallica which I thought was kind of hypocritical because they’re not exactly a young band either. Taylor Swift would easily fill it and, like U2, has the deep pockets to be able to afford the best video designers. Coldplay seem like another obvious choice.
  11. Yeh the Sphere is such a niche experience

If you asked U2 fans would they:

A. pay £200 to see the band in a local stadium/arena

or

B.pay £2000 to fly halfway around the world to see them in The Sphere

...then I know what choice would be the outright winner

What we need is less 'Spheres' and more good ol' rock venues
  12. Originally posted by RedSky:Yeh the Sphere is such a niche experience

If you asked U2 fans would they:

A. pay £200 to see the band in a local stadium/arena

or

B.pay £2000 to fly halfway around the world to see them in The Sphere

...then I know what choice would be the outright winner

What we need is less 'Spheres' and more good ol' rock venues
    I don’t disagree with you in general, though living in Chicago we have plenty of good ol’ rock venues.

The problem is, when is the last time you’ve seen U2 play one? I’ve only ever seen them play arenas or stadiums. I wouldn’t consider those “good” venues for music, just the only ones to see certain bands.

And I’d say in general we don’t need more arenas or stadiums. In fact we could probably use fewer.