1. Like a lot of U2 fans, certainly a few people on this board, it seems like I dismissed How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb too quickly. I listened to it, thought 'Hey, this is a really cool, very accumalitive sound for U2. Can't wait to see where they go with this. But is it better than Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? Nah, no chance'.

For me Achtung Baby, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire were the definitive U2 albums while Rattle & Hum, Pop, Zooropa and War were the slow burners; albums that took months, even years for me to appreciate.

I ignored all of U2's declarations that this was their best album. Repeatedly in interviews Bono has said that this is their best work and even their FIRST real album, Edge has claimed this his favorite, and Larry supports each and every song as a strong stand alone. Adam got his mojo back! 'But these guys don't know more about U2 then us (or me, rather) U2 fans' I thought, 'I can feel the resonance of Joshua tree and I can feel the distorted harmony of Achtung Baby. That music is the real U2. They don't know what they're talking about'.

And recently, I have bought an mp3 player (I know, late to the game!) and packed it full of ever U2 album, every b-side, song and official mix I could find. And I'm surprisingly drawn to this album almost every time. 9x outta 10, its Vertigo over Discoteqhue, Miracle Drug over One, City of Blinding Lights over Where the Streets Have no Name, Man and a Woman over Angel of Harlem, Love and Peace over Sunday Bloody Sunday, one Step closer over Promenade, Original of the Species over Walk On.

Even recently I jumped defensively over someone's post that Zoo tv was their best era and they lacked balls these days. I still jump to this albums defense and its fast shooting up my list of favorite songs/albums.

The band, obviously, knew what they were talking about. Like Bono once said of Ali, this album is like a current; you don't realize how strong it is until you've stepped in. It's the most complete spectrum of colors as far as any of their albums go and I've never noticed until these last few weeks. I'm shocked to say this but I think this may be my favorite U2 album.

Can anyone relate?
  2. I can relate to that defiantley. It was the first U2 album relase to come after i'd became a proper proper fan and I hold it very close to me. If ever I want to put on an album if i'm doing stuff around the house it's Bomb that goes on, if ever i'm in the car for longer than an hout it's Bomb. Great album but I stand by Bono and the band when they say the album doesn't quite equal the sum of it's parts. I think Crumbs, Man and A Woman and One Step Closer could have did with some more work and Yahweh could have been nicer too. I think they over did that song. And OOTS should have been a full proper single release rather than All Because Of You.
  3. I agree 100% about Crumbs and Yahweh. And it was the first album release since I became a full-time fan too

Wasn't aware the band thought of it as not the sum of its parts though. I used to think that but not so much anymore
  4. Yeah Bono has consistintly said that and like I said, I do have to agree. It was definatley a change from Leave Behind aswell and with songs like Fast Cars, it showed that they wern't afraid to try different shit and put it on an album which was good to see again
  5. You have no idea what You're talkin about
    HTDAAB the best U2 album??????????????????
    Mercy!
  6. I am in the same boat as you, The more I listen the more I love it. COBL really struck a chord with me in the last verse. "Blessings not just for the ones who kneel.... luckily". So deep and really just hit me one day and I was in tears. I have so blessed with my marriage the birth of healty boy who loves u2 lol and support of friends and family in my endovers. I havent been the best Godly man in the world but I have been blessed. Then Orginal of Speices just really hits home with whole life of child in your life. I could go on and on about this album and what each song means to me.
  7. this album got me into U2. it was my first album i bought it cuz of Vertigo but love every song more than Vertigo. HAHA its my favorite so poise and elegant and beautiful COBL and Miracle Drug and Original of the Species come to my mind as the best and Love And Peace is incredible live. and A Man and a Woman is a slow burner along with Crumbs and one step closer i will never understand why ppl hate this album! its awesome. sure its not innovative or taking any risks, its where U2 's really at home
  8. For me it's a tie between HTDAAB, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.
  9. ATYCLB made me fan, HTAAB was the first album I really looked forward to as a fan, because I knew how good ATYCLB was(for me at least). And I liked HTDAAB, and still do: Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Original of the Species and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are the best songs from the album. But overall, it's definately not their best.

A quick overview:

Each of the previous mentioned songs has a better counterpart....

Vertigo - Beautiful Day (could be a draw here)
    City of Blinding Lights - Where the Streets Have No Name (Streets wins of course)
    Original of the Species - ....? (well, this song is quite unique with it's sound)
    Sometimes You Can't Make it - Kite (and for me, Kite is one of the best songs U2 ever made)

These are the songs I compare them with, so after all, HTDAAB is not their best. It's good, it's U2.
  10. "This is actually our first album. It's taken us twenty years or whatever it is...and Vertigo is the first single from our first album". I don't get what he means, unless the "Hello hello" part is referring to Stories For Boys, of course from Boy.

I think this record alone plus the tour, got them heaps of new fans as did their first record. Not because it's their best - because of innovation. Most of my friends, if I mention Vertigo to them they'll say "Oh yeah", that's a bloody wicked track. Yet if I mention something like Kite, Where The Streets Have No Name or even Sunday Bloody Sunday they'll go "Hey? What the hell are they?". So in respects to being their best, no it isn't - I'd put The Joshua Tree, Boy or POP in that place - but it is innovative. After a while all the songs on other records sound extremely similar but you get lots of different styles on HTDAAB.

It's a collection of songs more than anything and they work really well for me. Even One Step Closer along with A Man and A Woman really do belong on this album. Could you really put them on something like ATYCLB? I'd have to say the best five there would be Crumbs From Your Table, City of Blinding Lights, Love and Peace, All Because of You and Vertigo. To be honest, I love it, it is a great album and really is one of their best.
  11. It's U2, so it's a good album. One of the rather weak in their catalogue, though. After ATYCLB another step back. Lyrically and musicwise.

I'd take almost every Passengers song over most of the Bomb songs.
  12. Originally posted by yeahIt's U2, so it's a good album. One of the rather weak in their catalogue, though. After ATYCLB another step back. Lyrically and musicwise.

I'd take almost every Passengers song over most of the Bomb songs.

That's a big take.