1. This live version is annoying me because he can sing it properly but he's changed it and the style and it sounds much worse surely the rest of the abdn can hear that and should tell him, his voice was amazing for Frankfurt so there's no excuse really. Sorry to sound so negative.

The studio version however is one of the best things ever and when Bono goes OOOOOHHHH HOOOOO OOHHH etc, I think that is the highlight of U2's studio career

2. Is there a boot of high quality then?

Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]

I still enjoy hearing the song (even recent performances) and the casual concert-goers might go home disappointed if they didn't play it (but who really cares about them, anyway). However, I can see your point. Instead of dropping it altogether, it could be rotated with something like "All I Want Is You," "Running to Stand Still," "Love Is Blindness," or even "Bad."

There's nothing bad about modern performances at all, apart from the fact that they lack SLS or any other amazing snippets and/or solos which are a requirement for unleashing the song's full potential.

Oh, and yeah: no one cares except U2. Go figure...
  3. This song gets me through my years. When you're a bit depressed, you just have to listen to it. Love it.
  4. Originally posted by Yogi:It's funny one thing about this song, and One. People think they're love songs, they play them on their weddings etc...

that's not a good start
    Anyway, wowy is a masterpiece Also, I really like the ending, (and that does not count for all songs, sometimes I just skip endings )
  5. Thinking of sending With or Without You to my friend/boyfriend whose mother just just passed yesterday. I'll be sending the Scala and Kolacny choir version.
    Do you guys think it's too heavy or too soon??
    I need to write him an email today.... He's been away for about two weeks and will still be in his home town for another week. I really want to send him my love and support with some U2... Let me know what you think. Thanks guys...
  6. Walk On, Maura. Walk On is the key for such songs.
  7. Yeah I thought about it also. It is a great one. I'd probly send the version off the 7 album, so nice with the Halleluja at the end. Thanks Sergio!
  8. I'm very sorry about your bf's mum, by the way. Condolences and Walk On, really.
  9. Thank You very much.... He's taking very hard of course. I know he'll be a changed person when he comes back... Iv'e been feeling sad for him for days now.... Gotta just walk on.. Thanks again..

10. I love the Version at Paris 07 04
    So many Emotions!!!
  11. I am more partial to this song every time I hear a live version of it! This song has helped gotten me through some personal troubles lately with my best girlfriend from my hometown. We aren't dating at all but I still hope in the future we will. She told me she has been dating her first boyfriend for four years now and when she told me that it broke my heart. I never felt that way before but I realized how much I truly love her. The line especially from 10/8/10 about my body being bruised and nothing to win but nothing else to lose just hits me so much now. Not just the emotion in Bono's voice but how I could relate to the pain the main character in the song has gone through. Shine Like Stars also is a nice addition to that same version before the last Oh Oh Oh's come in. I even find singing the Oh's at the end cleansing. Until the day I die this song will always be played whether I have troubles or not.
  12. Originally posted by roxrios:Thinking of sending With or Without You to my friend/boyfriend whose mother just just passed yesterday. I'll be sending the Scala and Kolacny choir version.
    Do you guys think it's too heavy or too soon??
    I need to write him an email today.... He's been away for about two weeks and will still be in his home town for another week. I really want to send him my love and support with some U2... Let me know what you think. Thanks guys...

Totally agree with the Walk On suggestions. When I was at the first Chicago show in 2009, I was with a dear friend whose husband had died less than a year before. She found it amazingly cathartic, so much so that she cried her eyes out. Which led to the rest of us losing it also, but you get that. It's a great song for those moments.