1. I think if Moyes hadn't taken his his own staff, he would've felt very isolated as the only new face amongst a successful setup. Replacing Phelan is ok, his job was to assist Ferguson and I'm sure Moyes would want his own assistant, someone he trusts. Meulensteen is a top coach and probably knows more about the squad from a coaching perspective than Ryan Giggs does. Lumsden, Round and Woods have been with Moyes for well over a decade, so it's perfectly reasonable for him to bring them along with him. Following the dismissal of Moyes, only Chris Woods remains from those four.

I think his sacking was a combination of money and football related reasons. The latter impacting on the former. Whilst fourth wouldn't be considered a success as it is with Arsenal, it would've guaranteed Champions League football and perhaps showed that Moyes had some ground to improve on. Sponsors and investors are buying into the club with the expectation that their brand is going to be exposed to Champions League football in amongst clubs from big European countries. United can perhaps afford a season out of the competition, but the pressure really is on to get back in it next season.

I agree that the players didn't give him a chance. There was no desire to go the extra mile on the pitch this season. The football at times was clueless. Moyes just didn't seem to have a winning mentality about him. Giggs has only had one press conference and he's already a marked improvement on Moyes in the words that he speaks. There's no "we'll try to..." or "there's belief...", Giggs is assertive with his words. It is a shame for Moyes that it all went sour and it's not entirely his fault that it did. He had the fans backing, even when a minority were flying banners over the stadium, and as I said earlier, when he returns to Old Trafford, he'll have a much better reception than the one he had at Goodison Park on Sunday. Giggs however is likely to receive the best atmosphere since United vs. Swansea at the end of last season.

Funny that van Gaal likes to keep the old management team in place and not bring his own in. He's probably a more accurate image of Ferguson than Moyes is, having won so much and being a commanding figure in the dressing room. Klopp and Ancelotti have ruled themselves out of the job so it really does look like it's van Gaal. As you'll have gathered from the more recent discussion here, Mourinho doesn't win many fans over with his style of play, but like van Gaal, he's won everything and he demands respect.

Finally, if van Wolfswinkel scores, then it truly is a backwards step!
  2. Alright predictors,

We're nearly there. Three more rounds to go.
  3. Would that be the same 'top coach' Meulensteen that went & failed at Fulham within a couple of months ? Lumsden has been Moyes' confidant and mentor since his Preston days,his sounding board if you will.Chris Woods was brought down from Glasgow Rangers when Walter Smith pitched up at Everton in the late 90's.He's only there now 'cos you need a goalkeeping coach,and as far as I can make out De Gea has had his best season.Woods will go the World Cup with the USA in the summer and go elsewhere after that,yeah he's USA goalkeeping coach.Steve Round has not been with Moyes for over a decade as he was only appointed as coach at Everton prior to the 2008/09 season following Alan Irvine going to Preston the previous November.The brand of negative football hence forth was due to him.This idea of going into a game with the intention of avoiding defeat as opposed to winning it is down to Steve Round.And Phil Neville is still there by the way from whom he brought with him,or is that overlooked because he is from the class of '92 ? I had noticed under Moyes tenure that no level of criticism was levelled at either Giggs or Neville in the media,even though they were part of his coaching staff.P Neville by the way had a stint coaching England U21's.

He never got a good reception at Goodison because of the whole handling of his departure dating back to May 9th when he was announced United manager,and subsequent trying to get players from us,his total 2 faced attitude regarding those deals and the fact he was going to Carrington while still under contract at Everton and effectively bidding for players he still managed ! And the blatant tapping up by Ferguson for the job behind Evertons back.And the fact that he was told by Ferguson,when Moyes asked him for advice,NOT to sign a contract with us that was offered in the February of 2013.Did you not see that David Moyes ignored the opportunity to shake hands with 2 members of Evertons staff before and after the game on Sunday ? I thank him for coming in at a time when we were struggling,and gave the club it's pride back and left it in a good state with a very healthy playing squad that Roberto Martinez has taken to a level that he could never do.Perfect example is Ross Barkley.Moyes gave him his debut at 17 against QPR.Never gave him a run in the side cos he didn't know how to play him.So he farmed him out to Sheffield Wednesday & Leeds United on loan.Martinez takes one look at him,says I've got a job for you,plays all season.Gets an England cap or 3 and is short listed for PFA Young Player of the Year (Sturridge will win it).

It's all projecture and opinion,so who knows what's around the corner.But the only reason Liverpool have won the League is because for the first time since you were born United haven't been competitive.Like winning a major when Tiger Woods isn't playing.

It's pretty apt too that Ryan Giggs is in charge of team affairs....cos hasn't he had 2 ?
  4. Yes, that would be same 'top coach' that went to Fulham and failed. No-one said he was a top manager. Yes, we do need a goalkeeping coach. De Gea has been improving since his arrival at the club, so it's no surprise he's had a good season and I expect him to be even better next season. I know Neville I still there, but I didn't mention him as one of the long-term staff with Moyes (clearly I was wrong on Round, but five years is long enough to be part of his 'team'). No criticism was aimed at the coaching staff, probably because it's ultimately the manager who picks the team and sets out their instructions. Moyes didn't deserve all of the flak though, the players were accountable for their lack of desire on the field. There's been no real mention of Giggs or Neville from players to the press, unlike the endorsement that Meulensteen had from van Persie or Steele had from Lindegaard. So it's hard to judge how much of an impact they're having. Lindegaard has stated though that he's enjoying working with Woods.

Moyes had a pretty good reception at Goodison Park at the end of last season, so all of that tapping up of a manager with an expiring contract couldn't have done too much damage. Moyes is well within his right to let his contract expire and to talk to other clubs. Players can be approached if they have six months remaining, why not managers? Obviously conducting any business for the season ahead is a big no and that was the problem with Moyes letting his contract run down - he wasn't available until the 1st July. Everton haven't done too badly though in having their players stolen by Moyes, bagging £28m from a desperate United and using that to fund moves for McCarthy, Barry and Lukaku. I suppose Wigan haven't done too badly either in getting nearly £20m from Everton for their players. It was inevitable that Moyes would approach some of his former players, the Fellaini and Baines speculation was in full swing as soon as he took the job. Let it be said, I wanted neither of them.

I agree that Martinez has taken Everton up a gear this season and they'll continue to improve. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some domestic silverware and much better European cup runs under his guidance.

Finally, I wouldn't put Liverpool's title winning credentials purely down to the absence of Man Utd, it's clearly down to the fact they get so many penalties No, they've had a great second half to the season, not what I expected after they were knocked from the top over Christmas and New Year. Next season will be a whole new challenge though, regardless of whether United come back or not. They've had it easy with no domestic or European cup games to play. I think they need to invest quite a bit in order to manage four different competitions next season. Man City and Chelsea already have that depth and it shows. Arsenal don't and they've paid the price for injuries to key players and managing the fitness from game to game.
  5. Tito Vilanova has passed away, losing his battle with cancer.

6. Such sad news. He was only so young, battling for 2 years and then not win the fight is very sad.
  7. Van Gaal to Utd done? FFS Levy don't leave us stuck with Dim Sherwood
  8. Very very sad news about Tito Too young, horrible disease.

And yeah Andrew, according to Dutch media it's done.

9. Wonder if we'll try and get FDB, Levy seems to have acquired a taste for anything from Ajax.
  10. What's not to like about Ajax? The FA should import them. Send Newcastle to Eredivisie in exchange.
  11. ajax fans would be easier to understand