1. Originally posted by ahn1991:I actually felt the opposite about The Man. Totally within The Killers' wheelhouse. Again, the biggest surprise is that they haven't explored this sound before.

Let's not forget The Killers are Vegas boys and this is a Vegas song if there ever was one. Very excited for the new album.

Hmm, I think mainly with reference to the lyrics it is very unlike The Killers. I can't take clean cut mormon dad Brandon Flowers singing up about his "money in the bank" and saying damn seriously at all. I get the feeling that the song is just a funny tongue in cheek song and I like the Bowie reference and imagine the song is their take on Fame. Don't like that it's supposedly made by 12(?) writers...

Musically it's not a huge departure from say Joy Ride on Day&Age, but it's also not very deep or interesting. Hopefully not a representation of the entire new album (and judging by Run For Cover it's not).
  2. I wasn't really sure how I felt about it, and then I caught the casual line about USDA beef?

I LIKE that it's cheesy! it's a cool direction for them. A band taking themselves less seriously is how we ended up with ZooTV, after all...

...but as long as we're all calling a spade a spade - it's a pretty goofy song.
  3. Just listened to the man and have to say it's my least favourite killers song already. There's nothing about it I like, the tune, the lyrics all dreadful. The killers are one of my favourite bands as well and responsible for my favourite gig outwith u2 but can't get into this one.
  4. WTF, TK? WTF.
  5. Greetings from the darkness!

Came back to see people's thoughts on this song.

Personally? Not really a fan. It's not the music itself so much as it's how Brandon's voice totally fails to mesh with it IMO. It just sounds really weird and doesn't flow.

I was sort of hoping this next album would be Battle Born + Hot Fuss, if that makes sense. Anthemic, return to thick, wavy 80s synths. Instead it seems like they're trying to ape what's popular right now in a genre other than their own.
  6. It sound like a Bee gees song... I don't know what to think..
  7. I think people are knee-jerk reacting really hard to this song because if you look at every Christmas song they've ever released and most of Day And Age you'd realize that this really isn't that strange of them.

Also, people should really suspend their expectations on what to expect from this band because The Killers are the prime example of a band that is nearly impervious to the pressures of expectation. Only Brandon Flowers is truly a "career musician". The rest of them will only commit to an album or tour when they all feel like it. This nature is what makes their work enjoyable, but also incredibly frustrating if you're a fan.
  8. You have a good point in your last paragraph, but... The song is crap no matter how you want to explain or overthink it.
  9. Not yet into it! Bummer really.
  10. I agree with your simple yet accurate description of the man as crap. However, on the plus side having listened to run for cover a good few times now it sounds like a cracker, gives me hope they've got plenty more to come.