1. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Such an artsy album. Zooropa is a real madhouse but it's the perfect album for its time and place. I adore it - it's not my favourite of U2's records but it's so nuanced and entrancing and it's completely unique among their body of work. I recently bought it on cassette from my local record shop because in my mind Zooropa was made for cassette. The record store manager described it as 'amazing' and said it was 'the freakiest stuff U2 had ever recorded.' I have to agree. From the weird swirling nebula of Zooropa to Johnny Cash's postapocalyptic wasteland of The Wanderer to the danceable, mind-bending, shimmering beauty that is Lemon (second only to The Fly in my list of favourite U2 songs) this album creates its own amazing, haunting but enchanting world.

Happy birthday, Zooropa!
    Well said. Zooropa and The Wanderer are such perfect bookends to the album.

Side note, seeing as it was Independence Day here in the U.S. yesterday I thought I would sing for my relatives some "real" country music, so I did my best Johnny Cash impression singing those amazing lyrics. They were mildly entertained - I think...
  2. This would be the U2 album that I'd take to a desert island.

Incredible.

3. I really really love it.
    Zooropa is definitely in my top 5 U2 songs ever.
    Lemon is always somewhere in my top something.
    The lyrics, the music, the experimentation, the moment it came out...

...yet I can't get rid of the feeling that this wasn't a "proper" album, more like an extended EP, like a "well, while we come up with another album, here's this (awesome) thing just to pass the time".

I saw it like that since when it first came out: after the grandioseness of Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and Achtung Baby, this never felt like a proper release. I also felt like the B-side of it was not on par with the more cohesive A-side.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love it and is one of my favorite albums, it's just that in my mind I still see it as an amazing extended EP...
  4. While I recognize TJT and AB as the best U2 albums (objectively), I have to say that Zooropa is my (current) favorite.

I've been on a bit of a U2 drought lately, and in the midst of the drought, Zooropa is the only album I've listened to all the way through. So perfect
  5. To honor Zooropa, I'm watching the Wim Wenders film "Faraway, So Close!"

Just the bang and the clatter as an angel runs to ground.
  6. Originally posted by davec82:To honor Zooropa, I'm watching the Wim Wenders film "Faraway, So Close!"

Just the bang and the clatter as an angel runs to ground.
    Is it any good?
  7. I recommend the original movie "Wings of Desire", slow movie, but very poetical and philosophical. Faraway, So Close! is a continuation of it.
  8. I have already watched this movie, but it's always a pleasure.
    You should watch prequel "Wings of Desire" to fully understand it, but if you like action movies, these are not for you .
  9. Zooropa the song has been on my mind a lot since Brexit!

Amazing album indeed.
  10. Nice to see you still remember your U2start credentials, Ali...

11. I'll get back to you on that one.