1. Bad. It's a good song, but Lord have mercy is it a quest to find the good performances.
  2. A quest to find good performances? Choose a bootleg randomly from 1985 to 1993 with Bad in the setlist. That's a good Bad performance.
  3. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    A quest to find good performances? Choose a bootleg randomly from 1985 to 1993 with Bad in the setlist. That's a good Bad performance.
    +1
  4. This is a very personal thing of course and nobody can be right or wrong, it is only about personal preferences. Still a lot of choices here surprize me a lot, and by far the most that some people list Mysterious Ways. In my opinion this song is absolutely out of this world - the guitar riff, the guitar sound - there is NO song that sounds like it (I mean the guitar sound), so I think it can not be overated. In fact I think it can not be appreciated enough
  5. Originally posted by Happy24:This is a very personal thing of course and nobody can be right or wrong, it is only about personal preferences. Still a lot of choices here surprize me a lot, and by far the most that some people list Mysterious Ways. In my opinion this song is absolutely out of this world - the guitar riff, the guitar sound - there is NO song that sounds like it (I mean the guitar sound), so I think it can not be overated. In fact I think it can not be appreciated enough
    But when you know the slide solo and then they play it without... it's like there is something missing and making the song being the half of it... With solo it's really good song...
  6. But what is totally overrated by everyone (casuals, diehards, band) is WOWY...
  7. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    But when you know the slide solo and then they play it without... it's like there is something missing and making the song being the half of it... With solo it's really good song...
    I second that - that is why I was so happy hearing it this year - the first time for me with the solo. I remember the first time I have heard the song live in Berlin in 2009 - first great excitement and then, in the end thinking :"Where the hell is the solo?" Also as much as I love the song, I think it somehow didn't work the way it should on the I+E tour. I don't think it is a B-stage kind of song and the fan-filming-with-a-cell-phone thing was ridiculous. So getting a proper version with a solo this year was a dream come true. I don't mind the dancing girls on stage, they somehow belong to MV, sometimes they are even great
  8. Well, yes and no (in my opinion). I think it is a great song as such and from that point of view it can not really be overated. That being said, since I first saw them in 2005 I have never seen a version that I would at least care for. It has always been soooo forgetable. I remember when I first saw Rattle and Hum, how I loved the song and how I played it over and over again. They never came even close to that magic on the shows I saw.

So I would probably not use the word "overated," but I would say that if they dropped it from the setlist, nobody would miss it one bit. Well, I wouldn't. Can't really speak for anyone else, can I?
  9. I've thought about this for a while and every tour the songs each have a new meaning based on the way U2 inspires the performance. So on some tours, some songs can have a political meaning, while on others can be more spiritual. So for these reasons my relationship with the song can change, because it has done with U2 as well.

So I don't really have an overrated song, just that my emotional connection and relationship with their songs is forever evolving through each tour and decade as we all age together and the world changes around us.
  10. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    Well, a couple of examples:

Beautiful Day.

Overrated by the casual fan? Yes.
    It's a big hit and it makes them cheer loudly when it starts playing live, probably it doesn't deserve that much attention.

Overrated by the hardcore fan? No, it's not overrated. Almost nobody cares about it and many are tired of it. People could even argue that it's underrated among this group.

Overrated by the band? I think so. They don't want to drop it from not even one set list, and it's always played in a prominent spot. It's their go-to uplifting song.

---

MS
    Casual fan? No, I don't think they overrate MS. Probably they still can't even recognize it.
    Hardcore fan? No, it's a liked song, but not too much.
    The band? They kinda have played it a lot more and in more tours than one would've thought, so yes.

---

Acrobat
    Casual fan?
    Clearly not, they probably don't know it.
    Hardcore fan?
    IMHO that's the best track of AB, so I'd say not overrated... but who knows, maybe we actually are overrating it and we can't see it.
    The band?
    Obviously they're not overrating it.

---

So... What's the question? Overrated by casuals, hardcore, or the band itself?

---

(Btw, I stand by my choice of ISHF... IMHO that song is overrated by everyone: many casuals know it and rate it even more than Streets; hardcore don't seem to get as tired of it as other songs just as overplayed as this one, like Pride or even BD; and the band, they keep on playing it even if it's on karaoke mode...)

I finally have the time to weigh in on this.
    We need to remember that "overrated by the band" does not necessarily mean that they played that song to death. We have to check interviews to see which songs they rate above everything else. So, for example, Every Breaking Wave is in Bono's top 3 U2 songs (I can't quote the interview by memory, sorry, but it was one of those "Ask U2 on Facebook" sessions, IIRC). According to this, even if they don't play EBW anymore, this song is way overrated by U2, while still being a very good song (Bono just loves to hear himself holding those notes), just not worthy of a top 3.
    On the other hand, for all we know they can also be tired as hell of playing Elevation, but they know the crowd loves it.
  11. They mentioned their top 3 songs on U Talkin' U2 To Me podcast. They had interesting choices... Adam's were A Man and a Woman, Heartland, and Moment of Surrender. It was nice to know they still have those songs in their hearts and minds... Of course that those are among my all time favourites didn't hurt either....