1. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:They mentioned their top 3 songs on U Talkin' U2 To Me podcast. They had interesting choices... Adam's were A Man and a Woman, Heartland, and Moment of Surrender. It was nice to know they still have those songs in their hearts and minds... Of course that those are among my all time favourites didn't hurt either....
    Yes, and I think Bono mentioned Stay, Miss Sarajevo and EBW.
  2. By hardcore fans definitely Acrobat. By casuals probably Stuck in a Moment or Even Better Than The Real Thing.
  3. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]

I finally have the time to weigh in on this.
    We need to remember that "overrated by the band" does not necessarily mean that they played that song to death. We have to check interviews to see which songs they rate above everything else. So, for example, Every Breaking Wave is in Bono's top 3 U2 songs (I can't quote the interview by memory, sorry, but it was one of those "Ask U2 on Facebook" sessions, IIRC). According to this, even if they don't play EBW anymore, this song is way overrated by U2, while still being a very good song (Bono just loves to hear himself holding those notes), just not worthy of a top 3.
    On the other hand, for all we know they can also be tired as hell of playing Elevation, but they know the crowd loves it.
    meh... I think that was just Bono the salesman... I think if you asked him again today, he'd say Little Things or something from SoE.

Also, their interviews are more inconsistent than the mexican league.

I do get the point though that they (surely) could be playing several songs that they're tired of playing them...

what if we consider songs that the crowd doesn't seem to "love" them that much, yet they continue to play them more than one could think they deserve? Miss Sarajevo comes to mind, imho. Maybe COBL.
  4. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    meh... I think that was just Bono the salesman... I think if you asked him again today, he'd say Little Things or something from SoE.

Also, their interviews are more inconsistent than the mexican league.

I do get the point though that they (surely) could be playing several songs that they're tired of playing them...

what if we consider songs that the crowd doesn't seem to "love" them that much, yet they continue to play them more than one could think they deserve? Miss Sarajevo comes to mind, imho. Maybe COBL.
    Bono has said MS is his favorite U2 song in an interview before I forget which one.

5. Yes, like I said, I can buy that. They keep on playing it despite not being a crowd favorite by all means.
    EBW was the one I said it was just Bono being thisisthebestsongweveevermade Bono.
  6. I love the 3 Bono chose. First time I heard EBW it felt like a big, big U2 song to me, and I still hold that view. Take MOS for example, that too is a classic to some people, but to me that is a little bit underwhelming for me in comparison. I think probably this is because it is too dark for me. Musically it is brilliant, and the vocals, the drums, the bass and the guitar are all on point, but it's just such a dark themed song that I find that I don't want to listen through. It isn't that I don't like dark themed songs, because l do, but U2's dark themed songs of the past have been in part, a cynical sort of playfulness which worked especially well on Achtung Baby and Pop.

Usually U2's more serious themed songs are often celebratory and joyful in part of the song - take Mothers of the disappeared - it is serious and tragic, but we celebrate their sons and daughters and the importance of their innocence and life. On MOS it feels more internal and personal that makes the listener have a moment of restrospective at their own situation/life to a degree, which some people may find uncomfortable to listen through, and I am one of those people.

What I find really interesting about this discussion is the differen't meanings the songs have to each of us.
  7. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    A quest to find good performances? Choose a bootleg randomly from 1985 to 1993 with Bad in the setlist. That's a good Bad performance.
    Just saw a Youtube video then of Bono mainstageing Bad at the START, instead of the B-stage in early 1992. I came in my pants
  8. Larry said Cedarwood Road, One, and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Edge said Until the End of the World, Running To Stand Still, and (I think) Where the Streets Have No Name.
  9. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    Larry said Cedarwood Road, One, and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Edge said Until the End of the World, Running To Stand Still, and (I think) Where the Streets Have No Name.
    I think it would be quite cool for there favourite tracks to all make the Setlist, that's 12 songs, plus maybe 7 from SOE and then 5 what would probably be hits but still it would be a cool mixture of songs.