1. Hey EDDMB

(Forgive me for going off-topic) but as someone who is highly submerged with the way British culture works it's probably worth explaining a bit how it - their psyche - operates. The English are a great set of people but when it comes to anything they have heritage in there is most definitely a sense of entitlement/ arrogance. If that sounds like me bitching about the British - it's not.

A lot (not all) of English people recognise the country's contribution to music both in modern and past time (the Beatles, the Stones, the Clash, Joy Division, Bowie, Radiohead, Muse, The Who... the list REALLY does go on). As such there's a feeling with British is best. It's the same with football, and why the culture feels the need to tell Barcelona actors like Busquets & Alves that if they pull any of their diving shit this saturday.... Well I've lost my train of thought there...

The Boss is not particularly big in Europe. I mean he's popular, but nowhere near the extent that exists in the States & particularly the East Coast. He's more respected than followed.

That doesn't work in the UK and especially with Glastonbury-goers. They don't dig reputations that aren't followed. If you had someone like LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire come over then there would be more of a following because they don't arrive from across the pond with the same stellar reputations of 'you should like this, it's popular in America'.

This is my concern for U2. I think they may just get away with it for 2 reasons - they get a lot of radio play and they're going to largely stick with their hits (songs the crowd will know). The Boss's catalogue of well-known hits doesn't expand to the same level as U2.

In short, there will always be more of an interest in British acts, and particularly those who appeal to the drinking culture associated with music - be it John Bonham of Led Zeppelin drinking 16 shots on the morning of his death, Liam Gallagher etc.
  2. Originally posted by KaiserJose:Hey EDDMB

(Forgive me for going off-topic) but as someone who is highly submerged with the way British culture works it's probably worth explaining a bit how it - their psyche - operates. The English are a great set of people but when it comes to anything they have heritage in there is most definitely a sense of entitlement/ arrogance. If that sounds like me bitching about the British - it's not.

A lot (not all) of English people recognise the country's contribution to music both in modern and past time (the Beatles, the Stones, the Clash, Joy Division, Bowie, Radiohead, Muse, The Who... the list REALLY does go on). As such there's a feeling with British is best. It's the same with football, and why the culture feels the need to tell Barcelona actors like Busquets & Alves that if they pull any of their diving shit this saturday.... Well I've lost my train of thought there...

The Boss is not particularly big in Europe. I mean he's popular, but nowhere near the extent that exists in the States & particularly the East Coast. He's more respected than followed.

That doesn't work in the UK and especially with Glastonbury-goers. They don't dig reputations that aren't followed. If you had someone like LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire come over then there would be more of a following because they don't arrive from across the pond with the same stellar reputations of 'you should like this, it's popular in America'.

This is my concern for U2. I think they may just get away with it for 2 reasons - they get a lot of radio play and they're going to largely stick with their hits (songs the crowd will know). The Boss's catalogue of well-known hits doesn't expand to the same level as U2.

In short, there will always be more of an interest in British acts, and particularly those who appeal to the drinking culture associated with music - be it John Bonham of Led Zeppelin drinking 16 shots on the morning of his death, Liam Gallagher etc.

Hey.....Yes,I agree with what you are saying.That was my initial point.That the British relate more to their groups (like Blur),than Bruce.My feelings are this,come here to the East Coast,as you have pointed out,and see Bruce,U2,PJ,DMB,Radiohead and so on.Notice 2 of those acts are European acts.
    The West Coast (left coast we call it), are more relaxed in nature/lifestyle.They have a reputation for showing up late to events (concerts,LA Dodger baseball games),and leaving early.Thats not the case at all here.

I just get annoyed when European fans seems to always have some negative comment about all American crowds.Seriously,download some of U2s shows from MSG,and pm me about the audience.Watch any DVD by ANY BAND from NYC,like Bruce or Pearl Jam.Those acts are American,and I can really realate to alot of Bruce Sprinsteens songs,more so than when Paul Weller sang Down In The Tube Station At Midnight (1978).

As an American,I think we are a bit more passionate about our sports teams than at rock concerts.Canadian fans are very,very passionate about hockey,not really baseball.

When the NY Yankees and Boston Red Sox play,there are some serious fights in the stands,at BOTH stadiums.

Also,I think a good portion of U2s fanbase, here in the States,are a bit older.Its great that I see so many young Europeans into U2,but overhere,most of our younger rock fans are into Kings Of Leon or Foo Fighters (I like both acts as well).And as I pointed out,I think each fanbase is different,as I observed firsthand in Europe.

On topic,I hope U2 bring back some of the NEW SONGS they played in Europe last summer.North Star and Mercy I really want to hear live.

I really liked the Boots version from this Denver gig.It seems more rocking to me,more upbeat.Im sure this was a very good show,but not that radically different from the 2009 tour IMO,as far as songs,from this setlist.Why are they not playing the new tunes ? The 2010 European Tour was THE TOUR.......
  3. In Love with U2 and Bono all over again after this weekend in Denver. Now deicided I'm going to Pittsburgh. Crazzyy!!
    Bought the bus ticket and everything!
  4. All streaming videos are up on the show page. Those Devner residents take some great video.
  5. A friend of mine took this in the GA....thought it looked fantastic and you might appreciate it here. Adding to the photos section as well....

6. that's a fantastic shot!
  7. WOW!!!
  8. A picture to eternity
  9. So I'm watching all the posted videos from this show and I honestly cannot see how people can make any complaints about the band at this time.

Who cares if the setlist didn't include *insert obscure rarity here.*

Just listen to them! The band sounds absolutely top notch in all regards. Bono has the energy that some will argue hasn't been seen since the heat of the Vertigo Tour. The band is passionate in all the songs they sing and they come to the stage ready to deliver. I'm very excited to finally get to see them when they roll by in June.
  10. Sharebears wireless matrix is top notch.