1. You know what for fuck's sake, they'll change this and then some fucking group will come out and say "It's not appropriate for our mental health to be addressed as "Good evening" because it assumes that my evening is good"

I am as liberal and democratic as they come and have marched in the city streets for the rights of all of these people, but at some point people need to shut the absolute fuck up.
  2. I don't claim to understand it all either. But my thoughts are the same. We all identify as one gender or other. But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, what's next? "Have a nice day!" Well, maybe I don't want to have a nice a day so maybe you should just keep it to yourself!
  3. EXACTLY
  4. I have to agree with you Matt and Dean, and I'm a social defender too and as liberal and leftist as it can get, but... We are reaching a dangerous limit.
  5. Pretty soon we'll all descend deeper into our cell phones and not communicate with one another at all for fear of saying the wrong thing.
  6. The one claim I'll disagree with slightly just to raise awareness is that some people don't identify as "one gender or the other" and see gender as something that exists on a spectrum, giving people the freedom to live their life the way they were born to live it, without worrying about confining themselves to any particular label. That, I am all for, and I think should be recognized and appreciated.

"Ladies and gentlemen and everyone in between" doesn't have as nice of a ring to it, but seriously can we not just let every little fucking thing offend us? Because that's what this boils down to.
  7. Originally posted by MattG:You know what for fuck's sake, they'll change this and then some fucking group will come out and say "It's not appropriate for our mental health to be addressed as "Good evening" because it assumes that my evening is good"

I am as liberal and democratic as they come and have marched in the city streets for the rights of all of these people, but at some point people need to shut the absolute fuck up.
  8. This is the Christmas debate all over again.

When I was in high school, our school districts moved away from saying Merry Christmas in greetings/postings/what-have-you and opted for the more inclusive "Happy Holidays" - I don't mind this at all. Assuming that everyone in a public institution celebrates Christmas is downright ignorant, even though relatively harmless in spirit (nobody's saying Merry Christmas to persecute your religion, for crap's sake, they're wishing you well)

But this "ladies and gentlemen" cockamamie argument would be like if someone came forward and said "Well I don't celebrate ANY holidays, so I'd really appreciate it if you stopped saying it altogether - it bothers me to be included with those that do"

Shut. Up.
  9. Originally posted by MattG:The one claim I'll disagree with slightly just to raise awareness is that some people don't identify as "one gender or the other" and see gender as something that exists on a spectrum, giving people the freedom to live their life the way they were born to live it, without worrying about confining themselves to any particular label. That, I am all for, and I think should be recognized and appreciated.

"Ladies and gentlemen and everyone in between" doesn't have as nice of a ring to it, but seriously can we not just let every little fucking thing offend us? Because that's what this boils down to.
    I appreciate that clarification, and get it. But also as you say, can we just accept generalizations on trivial things? Soon enough we'll have a recording covering every race, religion, gender, color, creed and our train ride will be over!
  10. Originally posted by MattG:This is the Christmas debate all over again.

When I was in high school, our school districts moved away from saying Merry Christmas in greetings/postings/what-have-you and opted for the more inclusive "Happy Holidays" - I don't mind this at all. Assuming that everyone in a public institution celebrates Christmas is downright ignorant, even though relatively harmless in spirit (nobody's saying Merry Christmas to persecute your religion, for crap's sake, they're wishing you well)

But this "ladies and gentlemen" cockamamie argument would be like if someone came forward and said "Well I don't celebrate ANY holidays, so I'd really appreciate it if you stopped saying it altogether - it bothers me to be included with those that do"

Shut. Up.
    Cockamamie is a word that doesn't get used anywhere near enough (in my limited experience.)
  11. Originally posted by MattG:This is the Christmas debate all over again.

Shut. Up.
    Another ridiculous political correct police thing. I say Merry Christmas because it is what I am accustomed to saying. To me, there is nothing more or less to it. Just as id someone were to say me Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa I would think nothing of it, other than that is the holiday observe. I'm not pushing an agend, and I don't feel they are either.

Where or why this became an issue got lost on me, but then, I'm a dumb old schooler... Grow a thicker skin and just acknowledge one another at a time of year that no matter which you observe, is a time of peace and goodwill (since we can't have it year round, can't we all just do it for a month?)
  12. Harry, just for the record, you've got the best and most accurate post in this thread, my temper is just getting the better of me this morning