1. It doesn't really bother me for the same reason that Bono meeting with people I don't think highly of doesn't bother me. It's like when you're a kid and you hear mommy and daddy discussing finances, and they notice you and say "oh we're just talking about grown up stuff" and you say "oh okay cool, it's not about me, I don't need to worry!" - until of course you're a certain age and you DO need to start worrying etc.

That's how I see all this shit. It's sort of beyond me, and beyond all of us for that matter, simply because we NEVER have the full story. We've never gotten a statement out of the band for this sort of "awkward" money stuff, because they just choose to not make it a part of their message, and that's what I care about, what they want to project as their artistic message and vision. Is it awkward and odd? Sure, and maybe that's why I choose not to pay attention. Am I better off for it? Probably. It's certainly not as bad as finding out your favourite actor (Kevin Spacey - not my favourite but just speaking generally) is a pedophile. As others have said, Bono has people working for him specifically to handle his money, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had no idea this was happening.

Bono also never goes into how much he donates himself, and I wouldn't be surprised if its boatloads. Funny how the reporters never seek that information out...why? Because good news isn't news to these people. They'd rather take down then hold up.
  2. first of all the not payed taxes in Ireland , with Holland as a money paradise, now papers of very rich and famous people, well are not good news for the band, for the fans, for everybody
  3. you know about the european offices of Facebook in Dublin , Apple and Google Adwords in Cork? Do you imagine answers? Do you know something about these things? Who was the person they made such financial deals with?
  4. as a advertising manager i know the history, you can believe me, are not good news for my job and for "my " band
  5. A lot of people hate Bono for not paying tax in Ireland and now the haters will hate him even more....But the buissness people understand the situation and how many taxes employer have to pay every day. My country Croatia is very corrupt, and you pay lots of taxes but that money doesn't go we're it should go...So I'm ok with avoiding expensive taxes and trough other canals to support needed with exact transparency where did that money go.

I will like to hear what U2 have to say about that because it's very effective for them as a known charity band, and bend ho holds a strong message for 40 years...just explain people what's going on with those taxes !!!

Are you just sellers of your products or do you really believe with all your heart's in your products(songs) ??
  6. Originally posted by bazzzz:you know about the european offices of Facebook in Dublin , Apple and Google Adwords in Cork? Do you imagine answers? Do you know something about these things? Who was the person they made such financial deals with?
    They made "deals" with the Irish Government...Ireland is a mecca for corporate tax avoidance but it generates a lot of jobs
  7. Look. They still live in Ireland so obviously have to pay taxes day to day there. As a business I get wanting a smaller tax rate...it is a bit sucky but... whatever.
  8. Originally posted by KaiserJose:[..]

It’s not really.

The revelations are wide-scale and the general implication is that a significant sum of the 1% are going to far ends to avoid paying their fair share.

I can’t comment on it in every nation, but to my knowledge self-employed people get relatively free grants or support from the British and Irish governments, which is the trade-off with the taxation you’ve mentioned.

Secondly; Bono isn’t just an easy target. When all assets are counted he’s a billionaire who has spent the last 40 years publically advocating justice and fairness, an end to poverty, and increased government aid towards projects like drugs for AIDS. Meanwhile we find him developing his assets in Lithuania through a Maltese holding company to avoid paying more tax in Lithuania (with the greatest of respect, not exactly the wealthiest region in Europe).

Fan of the band or not, do you not see the problem with that?
    I think KaiserJose is spot on here.

Unlike others, Bono puts a lot of his money to good use. I am not trying to public shame him or U2. Again, my point is more general.

I think there's a problem of justice, or lack thereof, when the 1% has the means to avoid or in large part circumvent taxes, and the rest of us don't (especially people working in the public sector, who often to key jobs, such as doctors, nurses, teachers etc.).
  9. I've found U2's tax avoidance really problematic, and now this news about Bono using tax havens really pisses me off.

They go around the world proclaiming love for Ireland, though prefer to keep their money away from going toward the people and society they say they so deeply love. They want to bend our ear about the poor and needy they decide to highlight, but when it comes to paying taxes on their income they hide it underground and out of sight.

For a band that asks for debt forgiveness, charity, selflessness...you really, really have to stop and wonder how much they practice what they preach when they are caught using tax havens. It's disgusting.
  10. Originally posted by robotsandmonkeys:I've found U2's tax avoidance really problematic, and now this news about Bono using tax havens really pisses me off.

They go around the world proclaiming love for Ireland, though prefer to keep their money away from going toward the people and society they say they so deeply love. They want to bend our ear about the poor and needy they decide to highlight, but when it comes to paying taxes on their income they hide it underground and out of sight.

For a band that asks for debt forgiveness, charity, selflessness...you really, really have to stop and wonder how much they practice what they preach when they are caught using tax havens. It's disgusting.
    well said!
  11. I've long thought that all of bono's charitable work is just a front for massive tax deductions anyway, pretty convenient if you ask me
  12. Originally posted by dylbagz:I've long thought that all of bono's charitable work is just a front for massive tax deductions anyway, pretty convenient if you ask me
    hate to say it, but you are most likely right.
    everybody has an hidden agenda..Larry even said once, "I don't like Bono meeting with war crims"