1. Originally posted by dylbagz:I've long thought that all of bono's charitable work is just a front for massive tax deductions anyway, pretty convenient if you ask me
    How can "charitable work" be tax deductable ? Charitable donations are in certain circumstances...by all means have an opinion on things but at least make it an informed one.
  2. Yesterday it was ground breaking news and today I read that are only assumption for potential avoiding taxes in Bono case and needs to be investigate....hmmm
  3. Originally posted by badirishcharlie:[..]
    How can "charitable work" be tax deductable ? Charitable donations are in certain circumstances...by all means have an opinion on things but at least make it an informed one.
  4. Such an irony that these so-called Paradise Papers are obtained illegally while tax evasion as such is completely legal.
    Of course you can defend that the laws are not just, but that seems to be merely an intellectual and academic discussion.

"No," most say, it's a matter of ethics and moral. But having to break the law first in order to have this discussion doesn't
    seem to bother them.

Yes, the system is rotten - but I bet that by the time there is one single tax regime for the entire planet, the wealthy are
    already using tax havens elsewhere in the galaxy!

I don't want to judge Bono, or the Queen of England, or anyone else for that matter. Perhaps they could do better, and
    perhaps they should do better. But when it comes to paying taxes, is there anybody here who will say no to a tax break
    when it is offered? Aren't we all receptive for the better deal?

In the end it's all a matter of supply and demand because such is our system.
    And it is this system in which we all thrive and have our liberty and our comfort in.

I shouted out "Who killed the Kennedy's?'"
    Well after all it was just you and me [...]
    Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name...
  5. You are assuming the money is going straight into Bono's pocket...these are incorporated companies. And that states charitable donations like I said...not charity work.Anyway it seems people have made up their minds...lets chuck him in the stocks !
  6. Originally posted by BigGiRL:Such an irony that these so-called Paradise Papers are obtained illegally while tax evasion as such is completely legal.
    Indeed!

Originally posted by BigGiRL: Yes, the system is rotten - but I bet that by the time there is one single tax regime for the entire planet, the wealthy are

Originally posted by BigGiRL: I don't want to judge Bono, or the Queen of England, or anyone else for that matter. Perhaps they could do better, and
    perhaps they should do better. But when it comes to paying taxes, is there anybody here who will say no to a tax break

I for one am happy to be heavily taxed here in Austria - much more than I was in the UK. As a result, I and my fellow citizens can rely on several excellent public services, support for families, and so on. I actually would not accept a tax break - I believe in redistribution and progressive taxation.

Originally posted by BigGiRL: In the end it's all a matter of supply and demand because such is our system.
    And it is this system in which we all thrive and have our liberty and our comfort in.

I think that in the UK, and especially in the US, folks on lower incomes would really disagree with you here.
  7. Originally posted by BigGiRL:Such an irony that these so-called Paradise Papers are obtained illegally while tax evasion as such is completely legal.
    Of course you can defend that the laws are not just, but that seems to be merely an intellectual and academic discussion.

"No," most say, it's a matter of ethics and moral. But having to break the law first in order to have this discussion doesn't
    seem to bother them.

Yes, the system is rotten - but I bet that by the time there is one single tax regime for the entire planet, the wealthy are

I don't want to judge Bono, or the Queen of England, or anyone else for that matter. Perhaps they could do better, and

In the end it's all a matter of supply and demand because such is our system.

[..]
    Very well said. If these were my tax affairs in the paper I would be very upset. There is only a public interest if something illegal has been done. Any moral 'grey areas' are up to legislators to fix. I would not pay a single penny more in tax than I could get away with.

I'm sure the public crusaders at the guardian, the Mail and driving taxis around Dublin have different ideas.

If Bono breaks the law, I'll be there on the barricades, until then U2vTax is the most boring topic, a peg for people to hang their petty begrudgeries on.

The real losses to the treasury are from Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Sarbucks et al in the UK. In Ireland people should look at why the banks arr still f@#$ing people over, despite the fact the people now own them.
  8. Nobody in Ireland has any credibilty giving out about tax affairs...it's entire economy is built on sheltering huge corporations minimising their tax liability. And I say that as an Irishman and a former tax payer there.
  9. Originally posted by badirishcharlie:Nobody in Ireland has any credibilty giving out about tax affairs...it's entire economy is built on sheltering huge corporations minimising their tax liability. And I say that as an Irishman and a former tax payer there.
    100% agree, as another Irishman and former tax-payer. Bono & the Queen crucified over €40k and £60k respectively while the Irish gov sues Europe not to accept €6billion in tax from Apple. Nonsense
  10. after the jt tour ,now one of the worst moment of the band: new tracks, subscriptions, vouchers, taxes, trash exhibitions show and so on. Hope the 1st december will everything finish with some good songs and a great tour in europe. That's what i dream and want from u2, that's all

11. on twitter ......Bono's declaration about taxes and papers
  12. Originally posted by Anam:[..]
    100% agree, as another Irishman and former tax-payer. Bono & the Queen crucified over €40k and £60k respectively while the Irish gov sues Europe not to accept €6billion in tax from Apple. Nonsense
    €13 Billion actually !