1. "God Part II" Point Depot 30 December 1989. For me being a fan and witnessing this live, it was all downhill after that. (only kidding). Bono belting out the small snippet of Donna Summer's - "I Feel Love"
  2. Sitting by the radio waiting to push 'Record' on New Year's Eve. Spare C90 and Hot Press inlay card at the ready!
  3. One of my favourite tours also, as others have said, setlist variety and performances. I used to endlessly listen to these shows on cassette at the time including the not so good sound quality Aus / NZ shows, before the vinyls of Paris / Dortmund and the Silver CD's of the soundboards started appearing at record fairs.

One other major positive thing I would say was the bands looseness on this tour.

It was probably the last point where tech, be it videoscreens or IEM's, *mostly* finally got ahold of them and restricted how the songs had to be performed to a degree - timings etc. Like occasionally on that tour they would do two climaxes of 'All I Want Is You' (totally improvised - just heat of the moment musicianship type thing) and other similar stuff - which hardly ever happens these days, unless on the rare occasion they pull their monitors out and have no stuff running on the screen and wing it.

And whilst Bono had a lot of problems with his voice (psychedelic germs as he put it) - it was probably the end of an era for his full on open tenor voice of the 80's, the intensity and passion and improvised vocal ad-libbing (like the bittersweet love - love/hate, love/hate lines he throws in sometimes) was top notch, lots of snippets and goosebump inducing poetry quotations during the intro to Streets for example.

And plenty of Edge shimmer!

Lot's of rarities / surprises, Two Hearts, She's A Mystery To Me, Slow Dancing, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Gloria etc. Plus mixed-up and even reversed setlists on a nightly basis,

Favourite gigs would be any of the Dublin ones (though 26th is my absolute favourite), Osaka ("listen guy... one more piece of sh1t out of you! Leave him for one more and he's f...in outta here...!"), and any of the Rotterdam shows (with special mention to Dortmund / Paris too), but honestly I pretty much enjoy any given LT show and whilst the sound quality of a lot of the Aus / NZ shows isn't the best, most of them for me are still really enjoyable recordings / performances.
  4. Originally posted by Anam:Sitting by the radio waiting to push 'Record' on New Year's Eve. Spare C90 and Hot Press inlay card at the ready!
    Such a brilliant night, my radio reception was annoyingly imperfect as I recall, so little bursts of static here and there, so slightly frustrating, but still what a night! The anticipation was off the charts, must have been electric being there in person.
  5. Originally posted by Anam:Sitting by the radio waiting to push 'Record' on New Year's Eve. Spare C90 and Hot Press inlay card at the ready!
    do you still have that cassette cover art from newspaper? would love to see it
  6. Variation in setlists, the technology does not dictate the setlist. The fire in the way U2 played the songs (of course 27 years younger).

Bono's voice was very good at the Dublin and Rotterdam concerts
  7. Does anyone have a link to the "Best Of" compilation of the Point Depot shows? I've seen it mentioned in this thread (years ago) and others over the years, but have never seen an active link.

Huge thanks for any help!
  8. mostly they had variety setlist and quality performance
  9. Now I want to go listen to these Lovetown shows! If only I could work a computer and put them on CD's :/
  10. Originally posted by Anam:Sitting by the radio waiting to push 'Record' on New Year's Eve. Spare C90 and Hot Press inlay card at the ready!
    I completely forgot about the Hot Press inlay card. That's a serious blast from the past! How times have changed though. Each show limited to 5000 capacity and four of us managed to secure a ticket each for the 30 December 1989 show.

It was unbelievable when they literally jumped on stage and started belting out "Bullet the Blue Sky" - I know the New Year's Eve show gets all the plaudits and perhaps rightly so. But I was living in New York by 1990 and I remember an interview Edge gave when asked what was the band's favourite show of the four nights - 30 December was the unanimous choice from the lads.

I bought the Lovetown Tour shirt but it never fitted me properly. lol
  11. Originally posted by Caledonia:[..]
    Such a brilliant night, my radio reception was annoyingly imperfect as I recall, so little bursts of static here and there, so slightly frustrating, but still what a night! The anticipation was off the charts, must have been electric being there in person.
    All of the above and Bono screaming "Turn off the fxxxxn lights" - "God Part II" 30 December show.

Edge couldn't keep up with Bono's intensity that light - he was knackered! We started to feel sorry for him. lol