1. Paul, I'm glad you enjoyed the album! I like the No Line connection, I notice it now that you say it.

And Sergio, I don't think they've toured in a while though I think they might still be active, that's something I'll read up on soon. They'd probably be a ton of fun live. Last album was 2010 I believe.
  2. That's a bummer. Well anyway, on to listen to Head On Straight (2002, and notably shorter songs overall) and looking forward to other's reviews of Lemon Parade
  3. Hope the new job is going well
  4. Tonic - Lemon Parade

Totally new band to me, even if it's old band. Didn't have time to check the lyrics much, so reviewing just musilally. But to me music is more important, because even if the lyrycs are amazing and you don't like the music, you can't enjoy the song. On the other hand when music is great, you are about to forgive meh lyrics.

Open up Your Eyes - nice opening track, opening up your eyes for what is gonna come
    Casual Affair - rock song, nice heavy riff, great song, really love this one
    If You Could Only See - did not touched me much
    on the first listen, but started to like it more later. I think this was meant to be hit single and they tried so hard to make it like that. Could have been better
    Soldier's Daughter - slow song where second half is much better than the first one
    Lemon Parade - another slower song what doesn't work for me
    much
    Mountain - I was afraid, that another slow meh song is starting again, but ended like really good rock song. Don't know why, but reminds me a little bit of old Bon Jovi.
    Thick - if some others were talking about grunge, they were right. Nice song
    Wicked Soldier - Another rock song, good solo
    Mr. Golden Deal - slowing down now... not really bad, maybe best slow song, but still not my really favourite.
    Bigot Sunshine - nice track, reminds me of some heavier Oasis songs from that time. But this time is Sergio wrong. It's not bad, but not the top track
    Celtic Aggression - had high expectations after the reviews, but to me it's not that really great. Too poppy rock song. Definitely not my favourite
    My Old Man - slow start and later a little rock feel, but seems like finished too early. The solo is too short, the end could have been longer too. Wouldn't mind if it had around 8 min and going more rockier or noisier... not bad ending but to me wasted potential to be amazing track.

Summary:
    Nice album with a lot of influences. Of course, there is grunge, but I could hear some british (mostly Oasis) parts and also some Guns'n'Roses or old Bon Jovi. Slow song are the weaker part of album, but there are enough good rock songs. I will definitely return to this. At least some songs I will listen to regulary.

7/10

top tracks:
    Open Up Your Eyes
    Casual Affair
    Wicked Soldier
    +
    Mountain
    Thick
  5. I referenced Bon Jovi -and Aerosmith- in my original (lost) review too There's definitely some of that sound in this album.
    And totally agree about My Old Man, it could have lasted a few more minutes and got a little heavier. "Wasted potential" is the perfect way to describe it.
  6. By the way, I listened to their Head On Straight album (their second one) last night..... and it's much much worse than Lemon Parade. More poppy, less rock and less diverse & interesting all around. I will check out their third -and last so far- album tonight and see if they recovered after the disastrous follow-up to the debut. What a disappointment
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:I referenced Bon Jovi -and Aerosmith- in my original (lost) review too There's definitely some of that sound in this album.
    And totally agree about My Old Man, it could have lasted a few more minutes and got a little heavier. "Wasted potential" is the perfect way to describe it.
    Yeah,My Old Man could have been really great progressive-like song. It's sad.
    And that second album is much worse than Lemon Parade explains why they haven't became more popular and did just 3 albums in 20 years.
  8. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Yeah,My Old Man could have been really great progressive-like song. It's sad.
    And that second album is much worse than Lemon Parade explains why they haven't became more popular and did just 3 albums in 20 years.
    I don't think it has to do much with the popularity. The second album came out 6 years after the first, so I suppose (might be totally wrong) they're just that kind of "informal band" in the sense that they get together every few years, write and record an album, do a few gigs and then forget about each other for a while to do solo projects or something like that. That might explain the release years: 1996 - 2002 - 2010.
  9. Thanks for the review Alvin!

Yeah, their second album was weaker by far. You Wanted More from the American Pie soundtrack is worth a listen though.
    edit: Forgot, it's on Sugar too.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:By the way, I listened to their Head On Straight album (their second one) last night..... and it's much much worse than Lemon Parade. More poppy, less rock and less diverse & interesting all around. I will check out their third -and last so far- album tonight and see if they recovered after the disastrous follow-up to the debut. What a disappointment
    Actually, Sugar was released in 1999...forgot about that one until a minute ago looking up You Wanted More. I think it was received much better critically.
  11. Is that all?
    Btw. I apologize myself for next 2 weeks - I'm off and probably not gonna be able to listen new albums, but definitely will do after I come back
  12. Is it Sergio's turn now?