1. I will post my thoughts either tonight or tomorrow morning

The schedule is in the opening post. Sergio got bumped to the end.
  2. Originally posted by iTim:I will post my thoughts either tonight or tomorrow morning

The schedule is in the opening post. Sergio got bumped to the end.
    So it's Pato's turn but he should post his review before
  3. The band name, cover art, and album name give me that sour taste before biting into a lemon. Haha. Not sure what to expect from it. I’ll be doing that sort of live-blog style review again. Starting up the album now…

Open Up Your Eyes- I think a fairly average radio rock song. Nothing to dislike about it but I do find the singers voice very average.
    Casual Affair- Heavier song. I like the vocals more on this song than the last and the guitars are more interesting as well. A little heavier alt rock post grunge stuff. Decent.
    If You Could Only See- I’ve heard this song before but not known the band until now. I like the song well enough, but I can’t shake the association of the time period it’s from, so it feels a little dated to me listening in 2016.
    Soldier’s Daughter- This song is everything I disliked about sentimental 90s rock music.
    Lemon Parade- So the gravelly tone is gone from the voice, and while still a low song like Soldier’s Daughter it is more enjoyable.
    Mountain- Personally, this is my definition of forgettable guitar playing. When mixed with an average voice and not much else to get invested in, I don’t know really what to make of it.
    Thick- The grunge influences are pretty evident here. Lyrics don’t make much sense to me. It feels like he is trying to say something profound and maybe poetic while also masculine and cool, all while not saying anything at all. ‘Sleeping with broken faces’, I have no idea what he is alluding to…
    Wicked Soldiers- I like this song as much as it is possible for me to like this style of music. And I appreciate the guitar solo too. Best song so far for me.
    Mr. Golden Deal- I will just say the slow songs aren’t for me.
    Bigot Sunshine- The distortion in this song was fun.
    Celtic Aggression- The first song that had lyrics that made me think. Good on that front but the vocals might be my least favorite on the album.
    My Old Man- I like that the guitars aren’t getting in the way of the lyrics at the start of the song. The mood matched the music. I’m feeling good about this song but I can’t tell if it being the last track is playing a part in that. The ending had me angry because if there was anywhere on the album to channel that aggressive sound it was at the end of this song, but they let it end on a whimper. What a shame!

I’ll admit I hold a bias against this genre/type of music, and the album did nothing to convert me. Listening to it wasn’t painful by any means. I tried to keep an open mind, and will say that I can see the appeal for other people. Just simply not for me. 2/5

Top tracks: Casual Affair, Wicked Soldier, My Old Man.
  4. Well that is some harsh review, Tiger!

Pato, you can't review this one in time?
  5. Part of the reason I enjoy the album of the week is to try new stuff because I think I'm too picky with music!
    I do think the previous albums have extended my tastes a little more. Trying to keep an open mind!
  6. Afraid not, young man. NeonTiger64, you're up. I'm going to review Tonic right now.

Updated schedule:
    Week: February 21-27
    User: Welsh_Edge
    Album: Hammock - Departure songs

Week: February 28 - March 5
    User: Alvin
    Album: Euzen - Sequel

Week: March 6-12
    User: thefly108
    Album: Tonic - Lemon Parade

Week: March 14-20
    User: NeonTiger64
    Album:

Week: March 21-27
    User: iTim
    Album:

Week: March 28 - April 3
    User: LikeASong
    Album:

Week: April 6-10
    User: patou2
    Album:

I've also changed the remaining weeks to run Monday-Sunday now.
  7. Tonic - Lemon Parade

Ok, another new artist to me. Looking forward to this one.

Open Up Your Eyes is a decent opening. First thing I notice is that the vocalist has a little Michael Stipe about him. I like it. (Was that a talk box in my ear towards the end?). Casual Affair is a heavier, more complex track. There's more substance to this than the opening track and so far, we're heading in the right direction. Very abrupt ending, I like it. A bit like a punch to the face that one. If You Could Only See is one I'm not so sure about this one. The beginning of the song and the chorus are a little bit...meh. The verses however are much better. Soldier's Daughter is different to what we've heard so far, a much more patient opening. I like this one. Lemon Parade, the title track, continues the slower pace set by the last song. Reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it. I'm not so keen on this one, it's by no means a bad song, but it's a little...repetitive. Mountain returns us to the opening style of the album. Much welcomed. Good track. This continues with Thick which is another decent track. Wicked Soldier is a nice heavier song. I can hear the Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder comparison more in this one. Mr. Golden Deal brings the pace to an end which is a shame. Not really for me this, but I don't mind it. Bigot Sunshine is a decent track. Celtic Aggression is another crunchy rock song, I much prefer these over the slower tracks. And we close the album with My Old Man. I think I agree with most on this one: it could have gone much further. The fade out is a disappointing end to the album.

Summary:
    Overall, I'd say that was a good album. I liked the the crunchy guitar songs much more than the slower tracks. I'd probably revisit this one again to see if I can get into it more and see what else I can discover. It's very American sounding, and in places it just reminds me of a particular kind of American style that is not for me. If I could pluck the name of another artist or a song out of the air that embodies this, I would. Thankfully though, those parts are few and far between.

Top 3 tracks:
    Casual Affair
    Wicked Soldier
    Open Up Your Eyes

Rating: 6/10
  8. Didn't expect to choose so quickly. Let me think of something and post back in a bit!
  9. Thanks for the review, Tim.

Can't wait to see what's next!
  10. Tonic - Lemon Parade

Of course i didn t know this band ...I found it very grunge and i found a very Pearl Jam style ( please PJ fans don t kill me )
    I think is very listenable and compact album

Highlights :

Open Up Your Eyes
    Casual Affair
    Soldier's Daughter ( this is the best song for me)

For me 6.50/10