1. I just managed to sing my youngest song to sleep, singing Love is all we have left, Lights of Home, and Red flag day. We’ve been trying hard to help him fall asleep. Could be a great, or a really bad, sign!

I love the songs anyway
  2. Originally posted by JuJuman:I just managed to sing my youngest song to sleep, singing Love is all we have left, Lights of Home, and Red flag day. We’ve been trying hard to help him fall asleep. Could be a great, or a really bad, sign!

I love the songs anyway
    As long as the arenas don't behave like your little boy and the band gives up on those songs like they did with NLOTH... All right
  3. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    Something that happened before I was paying close attention to U2, but I can assume was totally shocking for the hardcore fans back then, is the transition from War to Unforgettable Fire.

One day you're listening to Bloody Sunday, Like a Song, New Year's Day and Seconds, watching Bono angrily waving a white flag in full bravado mode, and the next they're this ambient moody band playing Sort Of Homecoming, Bad and Promenade, with Pride as the lead single.

I never listened to Scorpions after Wind of Change, I'm afraid that if I was paying attention to U2 back then, I would've dropped them at that moment.

True.

Also I love Winds of Change
  4. Actually I accepted Winds of Change, it was the one that came right after that, something about an Angel, when I get off of that boat... (in a similar "U2 sucks now but their 80's music is still awesome" U2 fan fashion)
  5. Two weeks on and I still believe this album is a masterpiece. There is so much in it. Great lyrics. There's not a single song I don't like.
  6. In the book "Songs of Experience" by Blake there's a character called The Fly.
    It's a clue that tells us How Bono was interested in these books already a Long time ago
  7. The worst album of their entire career: uninspired, tired and boring
    Remove Bono's voice and it could be an album made by a generic pop band
  8. One great song to me Get out of your own way
  9. Originally posted by Cerro:The worst album of their entire career: uninspired, tired and boring
    Remove Bono's voice and it could be an album made by a generic pop band
    Totally agreed. Not understanding how people can heap praise on an album so dreadfully uninspired, timid, and mediocre.

Bono is especially cringe-worthy on this album - his lyrics are amateurish, awkward, and tone-def. His subjects are far from novel...here we have:
    - 2 songs about Ali (adding to how many others already written?)
    - 4 songs about love/love in the title (again...we get it...we love love too...but damn! We GET it!)
    - 2 songs about Bono writing about how absurd/transparent Bono is (nothing new here either)
    - 1 song about America (we could have a quintuple album of U2 Songs of America at this point)

If he wrote a song for his mother we'd all win Bono bingo or something.

So...
    Music? Mediocre at best.
    Lyrics? Sounds like a 13 year old wrote them, or Bono decided to read a fortune cookie
    Topics? Stale as hell. Almost every subject has an analog in their catalog that is MUCH better.
    Effort? If THIS is the product of YEARS of work? They are in a lot of trouble.
    Masterpiece? I understand a lot of you think so, personally I think this is easily the worst album they have ever released
  10. I could see how the band isn't relevant to millennials...

Let's be honest, they haven't had major hit since Bomb (or ATYCLB arguably). And their most popular work was created in the 80s and 90s.

Not that I care. Maybe if they become completely irrelevant they'll play something from Pop haha!
  11. Originally posted by blink:I could see how the band isn't relevant to millennials...

Let's be honest, they haven't had major hit since Bomb (or ATYCLB arguably). And their most popular work was created in the 80s and 90s.

Not that I care. Maybe if they become completely irrelevant they'll play something from Pop haha!
    They are irrelevant and have been for years...