1. There's just so many Kool aid drinkers here

2. Comparing showing tolerance and respect for a photo and showing tolerance and respect for an opinion is comparing apples and oranges, but since you asked...

We're being far more tolerant and respectful towards your opinions than many of the negative opinions on here towards the photo and towards the band. The equivalent to "I'm obviously going to buy it, but I will turn the booklet inside out, as I simply don't want to see this picture" in this regard would be "I'm obviously going to read the forums, but as a crew member I will edit out all the opinions on the cover art that I suspect might be homophobic or intolerant". You see?

Cheers.
  3. Tolerance is such a shitty word.
  4. When I first saw the picture, I liked it as a booklet pic, but thought it's too simple for the cover art. I don't mind the theme and subject of it though.

However, it's somehow grown on me and when I saw it confirmed on U2.com I was actually glad. I'm happy they're taking such a direction, shows to me they're confident and are not backing down. Reminds me of the ZooTV U2. Remember the naked Adam pic?

I'm thinking that Guy Oseary is giving them confidence and pushing them into risky territory and going with the "any publicity..." thought. He said he had anticipated the Apple cooperation backlash, and now this cover. Of course there will be people who don't like it - it's not a simple cover, it's the kind of cover that will spark talks and discussions - and again, create headlines and news articles! There will be homophobic comments on twitter and the like, and then articles fighting those comments, and it all generates publicity for U2. Nice strategy.

All this aside, I'm glad to have a cover deticated to our drummer
  5. I kind of understand where the hate will come from, from being worried about it? That part I don't understand. Wishing the band chose something else because of it? To me that makes anyone who says that as bad as someone calling it gay. U2 are artists, and they've talked ears off about taste vs art. Guess which side they almost always fall under?

To me it looks like something you would see in a gallery because sure it's easily to simplify the surface and call it gay or incestual. However if you stop and look at it and try to understand it, there's something with a lot more depth there.

It's way better than any album cover they've put out since Zooropa.
  6. The cover art is hardly in the same ballpark as John Lennon's Two Virgins or as 'gay' as Suede's debut lp. As for a negative impact on sales, I can't see the concern, after all Nirvana's highest selling record had a naked infant on the cover for God's sake. Also, people referring to Larry's son as a 'boy' or child should note that the age of majority in Ireland is 18 years and Aaron Elvis Mullen is almost 19.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:My point is: like it or hate it, at least this cover is something apart of the usual stuff, it's something to talk about. Exactly the same as the album it contains: like it or hate it, at least they've gone and done a bold album that deviated from what they were doing previously. That's why the cover is great in itself (besides the meaning, the art quality of the photo, etc etc) - because it goes along well with its album's qualities and feelings.

This.

It makes people talk. Which means "relevance".

Btw, all the big "stars" (looking at the charts) take a lot of criticism, while being very succesfull. Cyrus, Bieber, Minaj, One Direction, Beyoncé,... So maybe that's the only way these days : doing something controversial.
    Not sure if I like that though.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Comparing showing tolerance and respect for a photo and showing tolerance and respect for an opinion is comparing apples and oranges, but since you asked...

We're being far more tolerant and respectful towards your opinions than many of the negative opinions on here towards the photo and towards the band. The equivalent to "I'm obviously going to buy it, but I will turn the booklet inside out, as I simply don't want to see this picture" in this regard would be "I'm obviously going to read the forums, but as a crew member I will edit out all the opinions on the cover art that I suspect might be homophobic or intolerant". You see?

Cheers.

People use the "you're a racist/homophobic/sexist/..." card way too often.

Imo, it's kinda provocative because it's a man and a boy. That's illegal. So why would I be homophobic because I don't like something illegal ?

Yes, WE know it's his adult son, but the non-hardcore fans won't.

Anyway, as stated above : it makes people talk, so...
  9. He's not a boy, he's 19 for crying out loud.
    And even if he weren't, it's his father hugging him, he's not naked, and there's nothing of sexual nature in that picture.
  10. much better
  11. epic win
  12. The guinness one would be Sergio's favourite!!