1. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    I can almost understand the removal of Bad and, to a lesser extent, Wild Horses as the tour progressed but omitting UV was just nonsense to me. The loss of Desire (ZooTV version) was also a shame.
    ehh it was almost a new tour ...new cd ... every song can t be in a setlist ( it s a shame )
  2. With UV being from the album that they were still promoting (it was the first time ZooTV was in the South Pacific) it seemed odd to remove it...and Desire was a high point of the ZooTV show. I just think they could have dropped, say, NYD or Pride (gasp!) instead as they didn't really add that much to the ZooTV show itself. I know...I know...they are two of the band's biggest hits but...

It's funny how we are (or at least I am) critiquing a tour that ended over two decades ago!
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:With UV being from the album that they were still promoting (it was the first time ZooTV was in the South Pacific) it seemed odd to remove it...and Desire was a high point of the ZooTV show. I just think they could have dropped, say, NYD or Pride (gasp!) instead as they didn't really add that much to the ZooTV show itself. I know...I know...they are two of the band's biggest hits but...

It's funny how we are (or at least I am) critiquing a tour that ended over two decades ago!
    haha its funny ... U2 tours give us a lot to talk about

About that songs ... they just replace them on the same place in the setlist ... it was a shame that they have dropped Ultraviolet ( maybe they could used to opening the show some night replacing Zoo station )

I love DGPFYCC and Lemon live . Both in that moment of the show . The long intro of DGPFYCC and Mc Phisto out of the stage and tehn coming in and all that . i love it
  4. Originally posted by fleavox:Leg 2... Killer versions of Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World and Love is Blindness (with poems and long solos, on several Germany concerts)... and Milan concert

Leg 1... Killer Versions of One, Wild Horses, good Mysterious Ways early solos

Leg 3... Good Bono's voice on fire like Saratoga and Anaheim... good versions for One

Leg 4... New songs at end of leg, Killer version for McPhisto's Desire and Ultraviolet

Leg 5... None

in this order, that was my comments

I agree with this order only to a certain extent, I'll lead up to why:

Leg 5 is U2 going all out with their new material both AB and Zooropa, knowing they could play the new songs and performing to an audience that patiently waits for them time and time again. U2 throwing a curveball with the set gives the element of surprise, and gives the shows a LOT to appreciate if you're in the audience. It's Zoomerang, y'all.

Leg 4 featured the intro of McPhisto, but you could kinda sense that U2 was getting tired of playing the same stuff over and over. Of course, their secret concoction that became the Zooropa album was put out and they played those songs and LOVED it, you can tell in the shows. Like leg 5...the element of surprise shines brightly. It's also the most political of any leg. It's not a bad thing, it's one of themes of the tour in an IN YOUR FACE sort of moment. Sadly, you could hear a pin drop during Wembley 08-11 during the Sarajevo link. I don't think it was well received, but to be honest, it's U2. They did Amnesty International. What else were they going to expect? The true highlight of this tour is the end, playing in Dublin, to their home crowd. Bono could get political and I'm sure anyone who's Irish, has Irish roots who know of the struggle and were against the revolution (exactly as Bono said during Sunday Bloody Sunday in Rattle & Hum), or understands what it's like to be involved in conflict understands. They got it.

Leg 3 featured U2 taking the Zoo TV tour to a new level, BIG AND IN YOUR FACE NARCISSISM that was the point of the tour. It was concerts in places where more people could go. Bono's voice sounds like the calling of an angel during Unchained Melody in DC 8-16, and I dare anyone to tell me otherwise. It was U2 on fire, taking what they knew with the new material and seeing what it would sound like outdoors. It was challenging the common stereotypes of America of the day, it was concertgoers knowing what to expect from Leg 1.

Leg 1 .... the band starts out wonky as most bands do with new material and experiment around. Hell, the Who touring around Tommy in the early days of what you could call their first "leg" started out a bit wonky with the new stuff. It happens. As the tour progressed, the songs got better. The extended versions of Wild Horses are absolutely fantastic, Mysterious Ways and One are blistering versions that could only "take you higher", to put it in U2 terms. The best part here is the audience was caught entirely off guard at first, and it's cool. It's like what Noel Gallagher said...if something tanks...you just go out and make something else. But the thing here is, it still was U2, people would still go. I remember seeing a small clip where tickets would sell out instantaneously because it was U2. By the end of this leg, they know what they're doing, they have the songs down, the people know what they're listening to and heck, they even start to chime in. I took a class and my professor said he was going to fail everyone on their first paper. He said, "in order to become a better writer, one must progress in order to do so, because by then, you will have become a better writer". The same applies to U2, and seeing that change over the course of the 1st leg is brilliant.

My top choice:

Leg 2 was U2 with their feet firmly planted on the ground, knowing they could play the material to very excited European crowd. The material was still too foreign to American crowds...still great shows though. Like I said before, there was even more progression. They knew what the sets needed and what they wanted, and they had fun with it. And as I've said in all of these, you can't stress the audience enough. There's a Robert Plant quote where he says "there's two important things for this show to go on, us and you." And holy bleeding hell is this true. The audiences were top, the shows were flippin brilliant... and as fleavox said and EVERYBODY knows this...the Milan concert. You can't go wrong with this leg.

Favorite shows in order though?
    1 DC
    2 Milan
    3 Wembley
    4 Dublin
  5. I think the most people who voted leg 4 don t know or listen all or many shows form that leg. They voted Wembley and Dublin shows. By far is not the best leg.
    One year later then the kick off the tour they played almost the same setlist
  6. ^ I'm with you Pato, the leg only got interesting in July/August with the Zooropa songs. There is the occasional gem like Rotterdam 5/11 but the 2nd leg was more consistently great.
  7. This is tough. MacPhisto is infinitely better than Mirrorball, but the Outside Broadcast show setlists are better than the Zooropa setlists IMO.

Those indoor European shows are fantastic though. Milan, the Stockholm video, so so good (still wish they'd remaster that and put it out on DVD for the subscribers).
  8. I doubt many people cared as much about setlist variation back in 1992 (I know I didn't) as they do nowadays as they were unable to follow the shows the way we can nowadays.

The man to ask: Ed (EDDMB). Where are you my good man? We need you to chime in here!
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:This is tough. MacPhisto is infinitely better than Mirrorball, but the Outside Broadcast show setlists are better than the Zooropa setlists IMO.

Those indoor European shows are fantastic though. Milan, the Stockholm video, so so good (still wish they'd remaster that and put it out on DVD for the subscribers).
    I still like Mirrorball Man better. The "I believe..." speech from DC '92 beats any of the MacPhisto rants.

I do, however, agree wholeheartedly with your second comment. Come on, U2. Give us a 1992 show DVD /BluRay.

PLEASE!
  10. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    I still like Mirrorball Man better. The "I believe..." speech from DC '92 beats any of the MacPhisto rants.

I do, however, agree wholeheartedly with your second comment. Come on, U2. Give us a 1992 show DVD /BluRay.

PLEASE!
    I think we've spoken about this before, you and I

I think I may watch the Stockholm show tonight now.
  11. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:This is tough. MacPhisto is infinitely better than Mirrorball, but the Outside Broadcast show setlists are better than the Zooropa setlists IMO.

About McPhisto or mirrorball man is just a taste decision

About legs ...the Outside B setlists are good . The problem is that they have already played a year with that setlist !!

It was a great tour , that is not the problem . But the people who went to see the band during the leg 1 , then went to see them again a year later they see almost the same show . That is the bad thing about this leg 3 and special leg 4 IMO
  12. I even have a bootleg copy of it! I still need more