2017-07-22 - Dublin
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 24
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 1
  1. It was amazing. Top class. And we know. There were tons of Irish people there, and tons from everywhere else. Excellent mix. Temple Bar was a little U2 nerd paradise! Bootlegs, promos, hats, flags, scarves, the Hot Press expo, tribute acts. Stadium bounced start to finish. Not one for the pedants: muddle during Bad, but Bad still rocked. Exit was glorious.

The sound in Croke Park was crystalline btw.
  2. Still amazes me that people dig into the band for playing a similar set list nightly.
    A tour is never designed for those who make a choice to see the SAME tour multiple times wanting changes, it's designed to work well for a mass audience with a massive production to be seen the once.
    Wake up....
    Tour after tour it happens.
    The tour is amazing, it overwhelmed me, but I saw it once as I can't facilitate multiple visits to see it.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:Some thoughts then. This ranks as one of my least favourite shows I've saw from the boys. I will preface this by saying we were far back in GA and didn't get a great view (any view in fact) of the boys. This always has an impact but I can still detach my impressions from this fact.

SBS into NYD was great. Then I was really waiting for ASOH but Bad arrived. Kinda disappointed. Then bono says let's make this epic then immediately flunks the words then forces that America snippet on us. Six or seven times he did it and the crowd just weren't biting. No Bowie was the second disappointment. The JT section is what it is. The flow is up and down but nothing rivals Streets until Exit. I refuse to complain though because to be even hearing these songs is a tremendous pleasure. Fair play.

Miss Sarajevo is lovely but it has no place opening an encoren. BD/Elevation/Vertigo are tremendously punchy (especially the latter two. One was One and little things is really nice but it led to a super strange ending. Nobody knew if it was over, there was no rapturous applause. It just kinda ended on a bit of a whimper.

That covers the setlist. The other problem was that it just never took off. Bonos banter was very flat and the endless thanking of people was monotonous. Obviously Bono isn't the type to do stage fright but I just got the impression that his heart wasn't in it tonight. If he could bottle the emotion he shows in Exit and applied it throghout the rest of the show then that really would be something truly special. Even the Rugby World Cup stuff felt like a briefcase full of cash changed hands.

I'll stop short of saying I felt short changed in anyway but this wasn't a memorable gig for me. I long since stopped expecting Dublin shows to be epic but you can't help but stand on that hallowed turf and just have a little bit of hope that the band will do something truly special. Sadly not.

It's almost a credit to the band that I can criticise a show like that because we hold them to such a tremendously high standard but for me tonight we got a really good band playing a really good show. That's never been enough for U2.

Onwards to Amsterdam.

Agreed with everything you said. Last night was great but never epic. Bit disappointed they ended with Little Things, great song, not a great closer for this tour. Expected more
  4. I got similar thoughts...
    At first I think half of the stadium has limited view... that frecking big and high mixing desk in the middle of the field affects 1/3 of GA attendees and 2/3 of people on the side opposite of the stage (Devin stand). We were almost at the side but still saw half of tree stage and had cut bottom left corner of the screen.
    To the show itself: Liftoff was amazing,people were singing intro and when SBS started, stadium exploded and it was epic show untill Bullet (except for the America snippet in Bad which was weird, awkward and a little embarrassing). But during Bullet a lot of people went for a beer,toilet or whatever (from GA). Don't know how about front rows, but people around us and half of GA was pretty dead between Bullet and Happy Meal. Only Exit let the jaw drop and made them react...
    Encores are lame but mostly because of Bonos neverending talking and thanking to dozens of people... From Beautiful Day to One it's not bad,but Bonos rants really take it down... Little Things is a good song but terrible closer. Many people were leaving during One and thousands after One...
    So summary: It looks like band doesn't care of irish shows so much and european leg is just another distraction from america. They aren't europeans anymore.
    Was it good? Yes,of course... it was great show. Was it the best? Definitely not. It was standard show (but still beats any other artists shows). Maybe I would put it in top 5 (off my 15 shows attended).
    Now week off (at work ) and on sunday Amsterdam second - GA this time! Can't wait
  5. Btw some people attending some previous shows were complainig about it being pretty silent... Yesterday it was loud! I use earplugs, but still have whistling in my ears!
  6. lol
  7. I will post a full review this friday when I am back from Ireland.
  8. Glad I caught them in London and not Dublin judging by some of the clips I have seen this morning
  9. Alright, just back to my accommodation now after the show. Thoughts are a bit different to the rest of you guys I guess.

I was about four people back from the Pitch 1 barrier, just to the right of the mixing desk. Glen Hansard and Colin Farrell were present in the VIP area in the front of the mixing desk, can't remember seeing one at the previous three shows.

The crowd in my area was sensational. Singing most of the words to most of the songs, except whatever happened in Bad. Streets was the greatest thing I have ever seen. Red Hill was huge where I was, Bono nearly drowned out by the singing. God's Country, Trip received well. One Tree Hill and Exit had the crowd up and moving too.

Prefer to pretend that the band don't open the encores with what they do. Beautiful Day, Elevation and Vertigo are wild every night. Can live without this version of Ultraviolet, but I love the heavy kick in the bass and drums in the second half of the song.

Little Things needs to be put on the shelf until the general public have the chance to hear it properly. Shows all begging for Out of Control to finish up.

I guess I've been lucky with my spots and situations etc but I really can't split any of the shows between Rome, Barcelona and Dublin.

This tour is on average, my favourite yet I would say. I have seen better overall individual shows, but these ones are consistently very good.
  10. Originally posted by shappers72:Still amazes me that people dig into the band for playing a similar set list nightly.
    A tour is never designed for those who make a choice to see the SAME tour multiple times wanting changes, it's designed to work well for a mass audience with a massive production to be seen the once.
    Wake up....
    Tour after tour it happens.
    The tour is amazing, it overwhelmed me, but I saw it once as I can't facilitate multiple visits to see it.
    Still though. When I saw them in Moncton on the final show of 360 they played a couple bonus songs (including 40 which they hadn't played at all that tour) and the only reason I bring that up is because it shows they can give a gig an extra boost if they really want to. Of all places, you'd think their hometown is where they'd do that. I'm surprised they didn't end with Out of Control or something.
  11. London and Dublin were both great gigs for different reasons. I think a lot of the disappointment has to do with individual expectations. The crowd were thrilled and the reviews are great. Roll on the new album and next year's tour.