1. Streets hasn’t sounded good since 2001 (and even then only as a result of the two nice segues.)

I only truly rate ZooTV Streets. Edge had a much nicer tone and Bono still had the vocal punch.
  2. All U2 albums after POP are mediocre at best.

The band kisses the US's ass sooooo much that it's quite embarrassing.

Larry doesn't add anything to the band.

Every Breaking Wave, Little Things and all the other similar sounding songs are crap - not just crap but achingly crap for a band of their status.

The band are a bunch of wusses for not pushing the creative envelope enough and the times when they have (since AB) with albums such as POP and NLOTH, they've quickly 'forgotten' those albums and panicked and jumped back on the verse chorus verse radio-friendly goddam bore fest formula.

Red Zone ticket prices are taking the piss - I know it's for a good cause but on the last tour the zones were moved away from the main runway. Thanks for that U2 - that £250 was really worth it. Next time it'll be no money to good causes and a £60 GA for me if that's how they treat their fans.

Surprisingly, after saying all that, I'd rather the band never retire as they are still my all-time favourite band and I'd quite happily go to see them tour after tour until either they die or I do - and I write that knowing that the band never retiring is going to be an unpopular opinion with a lot of you
  3. Originally posted by iver54:The Showman is the best song from Songs Of Experience,

U2 can achieve such good results when they aren't trying so hard..
    It’s definitely top half of the album, but my unpopular opinion for the day? Landlady is easily the standout track on SoE and it was incredible live.

And since he brought up Showman, they should’ve played that baby live. It sounded soooo good in rehearsals and would’ve been so much fun.
  4. This is something I've said before, but it's somewhat of a split opinion:

U2 should've retired with the release of U218, U2byU2 - in 2006

The reason I say it's split is because I never would've got to see them live had they done the above, and we never would have gotten 360 and the other good things that have come since. This being said, I think they've only been detracting from their legacy, or at the very least not adding anything to it, since then. U2 in 2004-2006 were on top of the world. Rock was still pretty mainstream (there was even a sort of resurgence of it on the radio at the time), Bomb was a crazy-selling album that received many accolades etc., Bono's voice was still in really good shape (listen to the Saitama show from towards the end of that tour) and it would've been a great place to stop. Couple that with U218 and U2byU2, which are basically both memoires for the band, and the single, Window in the Skies which to me is very much a "perfect U2 anthem" - not their best by any stretch, but it gives you that feeling that all great U2 anthems do, IMO.

It's one of those things where I think it would've been best for them, worst for me - but I think when it comes to their legacy, their output, the perspective people have on them - it would've been a great place to say "that's where we'll end it".
  5. Originally posted by germcevoy:Streets hasn’t sounded good since 2001 (and even then only as a result of the two nice segues.)

I only truly rate ZooTV Streets. Edge had a much nicer tone and Bono still had the vocal punch.
    I gotta agree with this one...although the Sheffield 2009 is pretty nice...although that it also more about the segue.
  6. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock is their best song in my opinion.

(Let the hate begin )
  7. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:This is something I've said before, but it's somewhat of a split opinion:

U2 should've retired with the release of U218, U2byU2 - in 2006

The reason I say it's split is because I never would've got to see them live had they done the above, and we never would have gotten 360 and the other good things that have come since. This being said, I think they've only been detracting from their legacy, or at the very least not adding anything to it, since then. U2 in 2004-2006 were on top of the world. Rock was still pretty mainstream (there was even a sort of resurgence of it on the radio at the time), Bomb was a crazy-selling album that received many accolades etc., Bono's voice was still in really good shape (listen to the Saitama show from towards the end of that tour) and it would've been a great place to stop. Couple that with U218 and U2byU2, which are basically both memoires for the band, and the single, Window in the Skies which to me is very much a "perfect U2 anthem" - not their best by any stretch, but it gives you that feeling that all great U2 anthems do, IMO.

It's one of those things where I think it would've been best for them, worst for me - but I think when it comes to their legacy, their output, the perspective people have on them - it would've been a great place to say "that's where we'll end it".
    I actually really like this. Of course I'm glad they kept making music and are still around, but this makes a lot of sense. They were thinking about calling HTDAAB "Man", anyway, right? The band seems to want to forget NLOTH (unfortunately). And I feel like both SOI and SOE were actually attempts to flesh out more at length what they had originally wanted to convey on Bomb ten years earlier, anyway. Bono described HTDAAB as "songs of innocence, songs of experience" in U2 by U2, right?

And that last part of COBL, "the more you know the less you feel, some pray for, others steal...blessings not just for the ones who kneel, luckily." All of the sudden that to me feels like it could sum up U2's entire career trajectory.

8. Dare I say it- but in any band I'd say the drummer is the most likely to not add anything to the band (there are obvious exceptions to this of course.)

Then again, what about Sunday Bloody Sunday?