1. Originally posted by drewhigginsNot been long since this one's been out of action (the topic) but thought maybe bump it up. Any more passengers for Passengers?

Also point of discussion as asked in the original post: should it be classed as a legit U2 album?

I've been a passenger for a few years now. At first I really couldn't get into the album but I'm so glad that I did. I think it should be classed as a U2 release since all four of them took part (and even wanted to pursue this direction eventually). I just think at the time, the Passengers name was a way for all involved to separate themselves from the project. If Passengers was a one off experiment that they felt didn't work, then I don't see how they can pick and choose the best songs for compilations and to play live.

It has to be thought more of a U2 project than a U2 album. Passengers shouldn't be recognised as a unique artist but should be embraced as the idea it set out to be. There are some amazing tracks on the album.
  2. It's a hard album to get into. But if you're coming off Zooropa and going into it - you might find it a little easier. For those of us who love ambient and 'out-there' sounds, it's perfect for late-night listening.

Maybe Miss Sarajevo is the only one played because it was a single and most well-known from the album. I'd have loved to have seen where a production team made of Brian Eno, Flood and William Orbit would have taken the band - because listening to their individual works, it'd be something else.
  3. I ordered a copy off eBay this week and it's on it's way. I can't wait to finally listen to it in one sitting for the first time.
  4. It's an experience.
  5. I got mine a month ago off eBay and I haven't listened to it yet. I haven't even put it on my iTunes yet. Will do that today actually.
  6. I bought a copy early last year, was over the moon when it came through the letterbox.
  7. I've always seen this album in two halves. The first half is definitely U2 sounding. It's super experimental U2, but they're there. After Miss Sarajevo though, it doesn't really sound anything like U2. It's them having fun in the studio, and there's some totally weird moods on it. Amazing album though, I gotta get a physical copy of it soon!
  8. ^ I'd go with that. It still sounds great after all this time - but then good experiments, musically, don't age.
  9. Revisiting this album after many years was certainly enjoyable. Hearing the original 'Miss Sarajevo' for the first time in ages actually made me tear up. While I totally enjoyed hearing Bono doing Pavarotti's part live, the original had a certain...something. I don't just mean Pavarotti - there seems to be something bubbling under that the recent live versions didn't quite replicate. Does anyone here know what I mean?
  10. Originally posted by kurukiraRevisiting this album after many years was certainly enjoyable. Hearing the original 'Miss Sarajevo' for the first time in ages actually made me tear up. While I totally enjoyed hearing Bono doing Pavarotti's part live, the original had a certain...something. I don't just mean Pavarotti - there seems to be something bubbling under that the recent live versions didn't quite replicate. Does anyone here know what I mean?

I had the exact same experience with Miss Sarajevo a few months ago. While it is great live, there is something special about the studio version, and I just don't know exactly what it is.
  11. I thought the instrumental arrangement really takes up MS a lot. I just love it.
  12. My copy from eBay arrived today and I'm about to listen to it straight through for the first time. Can't wait.