1. Glad to see that whatever it was, he's okay and overcome it.

What I'm not totally clear on is the timeline...
    I understood it as him choosing to write the letters (after the recommendation he got), due to this brush, whatever it was. And Lights of Home is at least about this incident. To me also Little Things is affected by this (the end is here).

At Christmas last year...that's pretty much the album done and them just choosing to do JT Tour because Trump/Brext/Contract... and I suppose the rewrite after that was only to add the political stuff....

It doesn't add up - did these songs have the death/negative vibe from the beginning? Did they add some of these in the rewrite?
    For example... Little Things sounds like what Bono was initially describing as "Morning After Innocence" - with the Innocence talking to Experience...until the middle of it. Then it switches to the "Sometimes" section, and the whole "the end is here" stuff starts... did they add this part after the incident? It does sound totally different music/lyrics-wise too
  2. Originally posted by Ali709:Glad to see that whatever it was, he's okay and overcome it.

What I'm not totally clear on is the timeline...
    I understood it as him choosing to write the letters (after the recommendation he got), due to this brush, whatever it was. And Lights of Home is at least about this incident. To me also Little Things is affected by this (the end is here).

At Christmas last year...that's pretty much the album done and them just choosing to do JT Tour because Trump/Brext/Contract... and I suppose the rewrite after that was only to add the political stuff....

It doesn't add up - did these songs have the death/negative vibe from the beginning? Did they add some of these in the rewrite?
    For example... Little Things sounds like what Bono was initially describing as "Morning After Innocence" - with the Innocence talking to Experience...until the middle of it. Then it switches to the "Sometimes" section, and the whole "the end is here" stuff starts... did they add this part after the incident? It does sound totally different music/lyrics-wise too
    Indeed, timelines don't fit.

Just another confirmation that SOE wasn't ready on time just because it wasn't ready on time, and the Trump/Brexit thing was bullshit.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Indeed, timelines don't fit.

Just another confirmation that SOE wasn't ready on time just because it wasn't ready on time, and the Trump/Brexit thing was bullshit.
    And there in lies my problem with the album. Just be honest with us ffs. Or don’t say anything. To say this album was delayed because of Trump was just a lie from the second it was said.
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    And there in lies my problem with the album. Just be honest with us ffs. Or don’t say anything. To say this album was delayed because of Trump was just a lie from the second it was said.
    Yep, I know. It bugs me too.
  5. I just realized what the "brush with mortality" might be.

In July 14th 2016 Bono witnessed 86 people being killed right in front of him. 86 human kinds. Killed RIGHT in FRONT oh HIM.

If that isn't a brush with mortality and a reminder that death is just out there waiting for us all, I don't know what is. And I think that's perfectly plausible that such a terrifying experience made him rethink the album, his songwriting approach, his life.
  6. In all fairness, perhaps both aspects are true. We all know how passionate Bono is about America, and what is currently going off with youknowho. My feeling is he had his thing going on and the whole Trump thing too, and they knew it wasn't the right time.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:I just realized what the "brush with mortality" might be.

In July 14th 2016 Bono witnessed 86 people being killed right in front of him. 86 human kinds. Killed RIGHT in FRONT oh HIM.

If that isn't a brush with mortality and a reminder that death is just out there waiting for us all, I don't know what is. And I think that's perfectly plausible that such a terrifying experience made him rethink the album, his songwriting approach, his life.
    Was he physically there?
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:I just realized what the "brush with mortality" might be.

That's one thing for sure, although if I understand and recall correctly he was off the main road along the seafront and in a restaurant down a back road.

It would certainly be a brush with mortality, and even Paris 2015 too when you think about it - it was close.

But I think its a health issue. The Ruud de Wild interview hints at him having to have made some lifestyle changes (or words to that effect).
  9. Also from the liner notes... "I'd like people who listen to these songs to know that a lot of them I approached with a sense that I might not be around to hear them on the radio or in the stream of things".