1. This was pretty well known about though?

I guess not.
  2. Yeah, I thought so too.

Plus he wasn't actually on the street where it happened as such, its like a road set back off the Promenade and a short walk to the east of where it all happened, though was definitely caught up in it, just as they were in Paris as well.
  3. i remember that incident in fact I remember a headline implied Bono was given special treatment which was not the case. I am sure that had a profound effect on him as well as the Bataclan. But all signs point to a health scare as well and lifestyle changes. (although accoring to Noel Gallagher the drinking is still going on haha)
  4. Yeah I still think it’s a health issue as he states ‘ I won’t name it’ in the liner notes.
  5. 'I was arrested. Facing a wall with my hands over my head... the force screaming at me not to move.'

I think he's implying pretty heavily that he had a heart attack. Cardiac arrest, being aware and unable to respond to it... and then talking about having to make some changes to his lifestyle subsequently.
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:I just realized what the "brush with mortality" might be.

In July 14th 2016 Bono witnessed 86 people being killed right in front of him. 86 human kinds. Killed RIGHT in FRONT oh HIM.

If that isn't a brush with mortality and a reminder that death is just out there waiting for us all, I don't know what is. And I think that's perfectly plausible that such a terrifying experience made him rethink the album, his songwriting approach, his life.
    I forgot that episode.
    In my mind it was just, damn he was there... but he's fine, so no biggie. So I never made the connection.

On the other hand, I insist, hopefully it wasn't a big health issue, and if it was, I hope it "was", and not that they're just strong enough...
  7. And I don't have a problem with the timelines.

Little Things was very different a year ago, it was so different that it had a different name ("The Morning After Innocence") and it had different lyrics (he revealed part of those lyrics.

Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, Little Much Better, Landlady and who knows what else had been around for some time now.
    I'm sure they had around 10 songs "ready" (Maybe it wasn't 100% ready, but probably 80-90%) which some of that had to be updated with the different events, so the 80-90% became a 50-60%.

About the political climate, it's been mentioned before, maybe the change wasn't to make it more political, but maybe it was the opposite, to make it less political and divisive, and more uplifting than what probably was a year ago (Own Way comes to mind).
  8. Every soul that left me
    Every heart that kept me
    The strangers that protected me
    To bring me back to you

I think these lyrics in Landlady could be a clue. There are some rumors floating around, that Bono may have had a heart scare. These lyrics could be interpreted that way also.
  9. Originally posted by Bloodraven:And I don't have a problem with the timelines.

Little Things was very different a year ago, it was so different that it had a different name ("The Morning After Innocence") and it had different lyrics (he revealed part of those lyrics.

Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, Little Much Better, Landlady and who knows what else had been around for some time now.
    I'm sure they had around 10 songs "ready" (Maybe it wasn't 100% ready, but probably 80-90%) which some of that had to be updated with the different events, so the 80-90% became a 50-60%.

About the political climate, it's been mentioned before, maybe the change wasn't to make it more political, but maybe it was the opposite, to make it less political and divisive, and more uplifting than what probably was a year ago (Own Way comes to mind).
    That's a very good point. They haven't said, 'we had to add stuff about Trump and Brexit and the other nonsense that's happened onto the record,' they have just said that those things happened and they had to take account of them on the record. Which could very well mean making an album to bridge the gap, to give people optimism in times where they feel cut adrift, to remind everyone that there is a light. I like that idea a lot...
  10. Originally posted by Adamaok:Every soul that left me
    Every heart that kept me
    The strangers that protected me
    To bring me back to you

I think these lyrics in Landlady could be a clue. There are some rumors floating around, that Bono may have had a heart scare. These lyrics could be interpreted that way also.
    Also from Little Things:

Sometimes I wake at four in the morning
    Where all the darkness is swarming
    And it covers me in fear
  11. That could refer to anxiety. Which can cause adverse effects to the heart.
  12. I heard somewhere that Bono had talked about having panic attacks recently. It was in one of those recent interviews somewhere, I believe...

And just since you used them... damn, those are some heavy U2 lyrics. That song just blows me away at how gritty and gut-churning it is.