1. I apologize in advance if this is an old or misplaced topic...

Why did National Geographic not market this film AT ALL?

This is a film milestone. It is a milestone for U2 fans, ESPECIALLY for more casual fans who didn't get Vertigo Tour tickets, which were $100+ and hard to get.

It was a major part of both Cannes and Sundance.

...And yet, now that it's out, I've read repeated reports of theaters with as few as 15 - 20 people per showing. That's just awkward and embarrassing. One of the quotes on atu2.com is Bono saying something like "we want people feeling like this band is still hot because the demand outweighs the supply and we couldn't get tickets."

...I guess Bono also has said for over a decade that "contradiction is balance."
  2. I don't think many people knew National Geographic (I actually didn't for a little while) were promoting the film. They probably went straight to U2.com (which was absolutely no use whatsoever for anything) and not because I'm 100% partial to fan sites either - you would hope the official site would know more than fan sites.

Sundance and Cannes are big events, possibly the biggest movie events in the whole world...I heard about all the other films from these shows but was U23D promoted anywhere? Not that I saw. News sites, television stations and newspaper reports and radio didn't have any mention.
  3. Well think about it, do u ever see the band doing interviews on Tv? like to promote the movie like on the news, Ellen DeGeneres, Good Morning America, MTV, Access Hollywood, VHI, etc. Hardly anyone even knows about the movie unless they are even half-hardcore U2 fans.
  4. It has come very silently...I mean, only we the fans know about it!! I've got family all over the world and none of them have heard of it! I watched CNN and BBC World on the sundance days, nothing...there were reports of Sundance and I was hoping to hear :"and today the 3D movie U23D has been released to theaters and it's...", but nothing at all!
    I suppose there aren't TV ads for it either...
  5. Originally posted by Ali709
    I suppose there aren't TV ads for it either...

Nope.
  6. Originally posted by drewhiggins[..]
    Will be what you're gonna hear from many thousands of kids on the opening days.

shit...
    Maybe they're scared to do too many ads? They don't want it to become R&H...?
  7. Originally posted by Ali709[..]

shit...
    Maybe they're scared to do too many ads? They don't want it to become R&H...?

I think if something like Rattle and Hum came out again it'd be brilliant - performances with BB King, visits to Graceland and lots of great live stuff - pity for the All Along The Watchtower stuffup. It's a great concert film and got me into U2, I see nothing wrong with it. However, lots of casual fans who watched Rattle and Hum, then watched Chicago and Milan said those two shows in particular were awesome and better than R&H. Was it the black and white, was it the unknown songs to those fans, was it too political? Who knows.

I then showed them the full and unedited Buenos Aires 2006 and they said it was even better then Chicago / Milan. So even a casual fan can see how suckful those two official DVDs were.

Anyhow, let's not talk about the qualities and criticisms of R&H and Hamish Hamilton and that stuff. I'd love to see an advert and be watching high-definition at the time, then tape that. A HD ad for U2:3D would rock. But for god sake, put ads on so people can see it and go "Oh have U2 put out a 3D concert film, I might go check it out". See what I mean?
  8. I'll speak for my country only: I don't think that a huge merketing campaign would make much sense. After all, that movie has a very small customer segment. Also, very few people will have the chance to watch it in Germany since we only have a handfull of cinemas that have the technology to show it.

So, it would be like throwing your money out of the window to start a huge campaign for something most people don't care about anyway and then say, sorry, most of you won't be able to go.
  9. Originally posted by yeah
    So, it would be like throwing your money out of the window to start a huge campaign for something most people don't care about anyway and then say, sorry, most of you won't be able to go.

Good point.
  10. They have a giant interactive add on Myspace, when you login it comes out and you have the option to download a widget to your myspace, facebook, gmail, etc
  11. Well, Coen's review in the reviews topic says the theater was filled in NY, that's better, it takes time for people to recommend the movie to each other...
  12. Bono was interviewed on a whole segment about U23D of REAL TALK today on NBC
    it was called the "greatest music/concert film"

who thinks theres not a lot of buzz?