1. Originally posted by ahn1991:I think Pop as an album is alright. But I think U2 overreached with Popmart, not just in the ideological concept, but maybe even in execution and performance. None of my live performances of Pop songs come from Popmart because I simply can't stand the sound of it. Their ZooTV and Elevation Tours have way more passion compared to Popmart. The tour may have left them with a bitter taste, explaining why they deny the existence of this album.
    It must just be their bad memories associated with rushing the album into production, because Bono said about PopMart:

"Pop is our finest hour. It's better than Zoo TV aesthetically, and as an art project it is a clearer thought.

That quote still blows my mind considering how much they've abandoned anything having to do with Pop.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/just-the-2-of-u-1.711046
  2. 20 years. Wow
  3. Recently been listening to pop a'lot as I never did, always looked over it. It's really grown on me, fave song. If god would send his angels
  4. "Pop is our finest hour. It's better than Zoo TV aesthetically, and as an art project it is a clearer thought.

Wait Bono actually said this? Maybe he was drunk when he said it considering how the band have all but deleted Pop from their memory.
  5. I don't think they should play anything from POP, unless they have very deliberate theatrical, staging ideas for performances.
  6. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

Wait Bono actually said this? Maybe he was drunk when he said it considering how the band have all but deleted Pop from their memory.
    When Bono speaks....sometimes it's best to turn the other way.
  7. Cool article that I actually agree with most of what is said about Pop. It's a Rolling Stone article just posted about 20th Ann.
    https://t.co/4c4REzt3k1
  8. Why does everyone hate "Playboy Mansion" so much? Is it just because of the lyrics? I mean, I guess I can get that, but musically I think it's a really fun and enjoyable song.
  9. Originally posted by Faceman2000:Why does everyone hate "Playboy Mansion" so much? Is it just because of the lyrics? I mean, I guess I can get that, but musically I think it's a really fun and enjoyable song.
    I definitely think the lyrics bring the whole song down a notch, apart from the one or two half decent lines. The music is quite repetitive too so it doesn't really give a good enough distraction to the lyrics either. I can still listen to it though, and it's not my least favourite u2 song but it's my least favourite on the album.
  10. In some ways, their best album. I still prefer Achtung and JT better, but I became a champion of Pop; after all the backlash. I always say if you can find a used cd shop, and find a used copy of Pop, it looks like it was made the day you looked at it. A used copy of any other U2 album usually has scratches or marks, which pretty much show the owner of Pop never actually listened to it. They may have heard it once or twice, but likely never listened to it, and since public opinion, and the band itself said it was bad, it must be.
  11. I have played pop and have had people ask me is this a new u2 album,how come I never heard of it....it is really great. I tell them Rock radio didn't know what to do with it...top 40 radio was scared of it.since the mp3 few albums have sold more than pop!3 million copies in north america was a failure ..today it would be up there with Taylor Swift.
  12. It's interesting to read RS's take on the songs and to hear the different, newer arrangements that the band tried...

...but I still prefer the original album versions overall, "unfinished" though some of it may be. "Please" is the only song that I think they actually improved on with the single mix - that guitar solo takes the song to another level altogether. Otherwise, I think they tried too hard to make them perfect (a common U2 struggle).